The Agonist - Monochromatic Stains (Cover)

Nt3N

Dark Tranquillity Italia
Jan 3, 2005
Mestre (Venice)
www.darkillity.net
So, who has bought the CM compilation with CM bands covering each other? I didn't, but I bought the Monochromatic Stains cover by The Agonist from the iTunes Store.

Well, I don't much like the cover, it's not as intense as the original... but I like the double-bass-drum patters though :)

Anyne else got the chance to listen to this cover?

I haven't heard it, could you send it to me please? :)

Before rahvin has to drag himself out of bed, I will point out that this statement is probably against the rules. We live in an age so ruthlessly litigious (in America, that is) that's it's typically more worthwhile to skip these comments altogether. Whatever the state of Imaginary Property law in your country, that comment would land you and everyone reading it in Gitmo if spoken within a US jurisdiction (is CR a part of the US yet?). That was hyperbolic, but today I am cynical.

I haven't heard the cover, but The Agonist is a really fantastic band. Their vocalist is really a very lucid, intelligent woman to hear speak. I find it refreshing, since I think that many female musicians are crammed into a tiny little box of airheaded-ness and having-boobs-itude.

I listened to it : I find it sad that they did not manage to create the huge sound that they have on their record and only had the song turn into something more metalcore but without the power needed :)

When you compare it with the wonderfull cover of Sentenced by Dark tranquillity, indeed The Agonist cover is not that great

the agonist cover is HORRIBLE! I dont know what they did to the sound, i dont know if they recorded it in their living room or if its the mastering, or both. He cant handle the vocals for shit and i cant believe how out of sync the whole band is... However im not surprised its a shitband. could have been so much better if these retards hadnt gotten a hold of thsi masterpiece. I honestly think DT should have refused this release haha

To reiterate, I really enjoy The Agonist. But having now heard the song at bar, it's terrible.

Of course, to put things in perspective, their male backup vocals really hurt all of their music. A lot. And I respect that rather than studio-magic in some keyboards (which they don't normally use), they tried to use their vocalists voice in place of the synth. And while I love her scream, it's really a poor match here.

This poses a question: who could actually cover a DT song well? Would that band do a unique take, or would you rather they perform it almost identically? If the latter, what would be the point?

that's true, I prefer creative covers rather than identical performances. But this is nothing creative. I really think DT should have opposed CM when publishing this cover, it's terrible!

This poses a question: who could actually cover a DT song well? Would that band do a unique take, or would you rather they perform it almost identically? If the latter, what would be the point?

I always thought post-Mind's I DT would be extremely hard to cover. I think they would have to be stripped down rather than embellished, so maybe a more technical death metal band would have a shot. Negate some of the keyboards, do some other stuff so that its more raw. Not sure what band would qualify. I haven't heard this Agonist cover yet, don't think I want to.

I really think DT should have opposed CM when publishing this cover, it's terrible!
Nah, it helps show the quality difference between DT and other bands, so why oppose it. :p

I haven't heard it and i'm not really interested. I'll only listen to it if i bump on it.
I listened to another Agonist song on their site, and i wasn't really impressed. I liked the clean female vocals, but the screams at points were ridiculous...

Well, i would anywho love to hear a decent cover... i dont think such exists??
as for which band i would like to hear cover DT, i think it totally depends on which songs it is since their material is so diverse! I think some of the mellower gothish stuff could def be covered by...well, say Paradise lost or Tiamat?

As for their harder more agressive stuff i think there are tons of swedish bands that could pull off at least something remotely interesting: In flames, soilwork, arch enemy, haunted/at the gates...

What other bands have covered DT songs? I believe there was a semi-professional band that covered "With the flaming shades of fall" at some time.
This cover is not very good imho.

Ironically, Sentenced might have been able to do some decent DT covers.

I don't think it's a question of difficulty; if you have a band (again, Sentenced) that could produce a good deal of harmony without synths, you could probably get a decent cover or two. The quality of DT's music is more careful, judicious production and songwriting than technique (not to say they're not great musicians, they certainly are).