The Bar Has Been Raised - Seven Witches - Deadly Sins

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Was just doing some shopping at good ol Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ. As I was looking through the recently released racks I came across the new Seven Witches album Deadly Sins. Now I am a fan of Jack Frost and all of the Witches albums. I feel their strongest album to date was 2003's Passage to the Otherside. I liked Year of the Witch and thought it had some strong tracks on it but did not think it lived up to Passage. I'll even be one of the few to admit I enjoyed Amped their last album because I am into modern mainstream stuff like Disturbed and I feel that album was in that vein. The stuff before Passage was good too but to me Passage was the bands Number of the Beast or Master of Puppets... that is until now. Upon popping in Deadly Sins I was immediately blown away by the sheer heaviness I was experiencing coming out of my speakers. I have only spun the album once so far so I cannot give you a detailed breakdown of what I think of everything so far but I can give you an overview. The bar has most definitely been raised and I feel this is the bands strongest album to date. Alan sounds in top notch form and I have never heard Jack shred so amazing before. While this is ultra heavy power metal there is a lot of thrash arrangements thrown in there to add to the dynamics of this album. Some of the songs sound like they could have been on Pantera's Vulgar Display with their structure and heavy arrangements. Jack has some very Dimebag moments on this album that would make our late metal brother proud. Overall this album has knocked me on my ass and I am just getting up from it now. Gotta get through some college work and I know that as soon as I am done with that spinning this album again will give me the release that I need. Kudos to Jack, Alan, and the boys for putting together one hell of an album. Has anyone else heard this yet? If so what are your thoughts?

I was in VV on Saturday. Actually, been there the last three Saturdays.

While I haven't heard the new SW, the very idea of them raising the bar seems unlikely. The songwriting is just very weak.

Zod

I really dug Seven Witches for awhile, but I lost a lot of interest when James Riviera left. I also lost a lot of respect for Jack Frost after meeting him at Jaxx a year or two ago. I'm not sure how the conversation turned in this direction, but Nick and I mentioned how we had been to ProgPower (referring to PPV) and seen "Savatage ... well, sorta Savatage" and before we could even finish that sentence he so egotistically added "Ha! Well, it's not Savatage without me." Excuse me? :zombie: :guh: Are you retarded, Mr. Frost? Since when does being the touring guitarist for one or two tours (Poets and Madmen 2001-02) and not being on any studio albums make you an intricate necessary member of a band like Savatage?! :rolleyes: What a pompous asshole! :bah:

I try not to let stuff like that affect my enjoyment of a band, but I can't help it, it does. I have at least some emotional involvement with all the bands I enjoy. When I meet them, if they act like egotistical dickheads, well, they tend to loose some of my respect and usually as a result at least some of my financial support.

I do have to say that TheGraveDigger's review made me think twice about checking this release out though.

My interest in the band declined heavily as well once Rivera left. Passage was a masterpiece. The band was great live too when he was in the band. I have not seen or heard 7W post-Rivera. Amped received such poor reviews that I never bothered.

It's really weird. I have read about and talked to people about so many different experiences in dealing with Mr Frost. I have spoken to him a couple times in person and over email for a while. He was always nothing but perfectly down to earth. On the flipside, I have heard from others that he can be very egotistical.

Oh well. For some reason , this band never seems to grow in status in the scene. Maybe they need to go out on a proper US tour. It seems they do more festival type appearances only.

My interest in the band declined heavily as well once Rivera left. Passage was a masterpiece. The band was great live too when he was in the band. I have not seen or heard 7W post-Rivera. Amped received such poor reviews that I never bothered.

It's really weird. I have read about and talked to people about so many different experiences in dealing with Mr Frost. I have spoken to him a couple times in person and over email for a while. He was always nothing but perfectly down to earth. On the flipside, I have heard from others that he can be very egotistical.
I lost interest after Rivera left too. Everything after that seemed flat or forced to me. As for Mr. Frost, I've seen him many times over the years and he always appears aloof like he's some huge rock star. :rolleyes: He needs to take a lesson from Dio who truly is a huge rock star and one of the nicest people I've ever met. I don't think the bar will be raised for Seven Witches until it can rise above his ego - which may not be possible.

Sorry to hear so many have had bad experiences with Jack. I have run into him many times over the years myself being a Jersey head and he's always been very nice to me. I last saw him back in January at the Belladonna/Metal Church/Overkill gig at BB Kings in NYC. I stood next to him the whole night and he even welcomed me among his friends and it was an overall great show. He talks a lot about being a huge rock star and has the ego bit but I get nothing out of that except he is playing around when he says stuff like that and just having a good time. I wish the Witches success as I know they were about to possibly get bigger when Rivera was the singer and then a step down was taken after that. If anything just sample the new album and see what you think of it. I just realized after doing some research that Joey Vera from Armored Saint and Fates Warning was brought back on this new release as well. I feel the Witches need to get on a proper tour to get some great exposure. I know that their two dates with Kamelot a few years ago did them a lot of good but I would love to see them on a bill taking them across America and back.

I lost interest after Rivera left too. Everything after that seemed flat or forced to me. As for Mr. Frost, I've seen him many times over the years and he always appears aloof like he's some huge rock star. :rolleyes: He needs to take a lesson from Dio who truly is a huge rock star and one of the nicest people I've ever met. I don't think the bar will be raised for Seven Witches until it can rise above his ego - which may not be possible.

Or at least like James Rivera who always has time to chat with anyone, when 7 witches played here in San Diego it looked like the stage wasn't big enough for Mr. Frost, a real asshole sorry only my opinion

"Passage to the Other Side" I would say is one of their best albums. When I saw them perform in chicago a couple of years ago, Jack Frost sounded just like he did on the album. Phenomenal guitar player. I wish they would get their name out more and become more recongnized.

Stay Metall!!!
saMetal

Amped was just so friggin' bad that I hesitate to check out the new album.

I do like all the prior albums and yes, Passage may be their best one.