The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Can anyone give me some insight into The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds album? I keep hearing that it is possibly the greatest album ever recorded... I have only heard a few songs off it (the popular ones like God Only Knows, Wouldn't it be nice & Sloop Dogg B). Lots and lots of reviewers/music critics compare it to Sgt Peppers and alot say that Sgt Peppers ripped Pet Sounds off? Where are the similarities? And is it typical to the Beach Boys standard (beach/surfer American)sound?

Anyway, I think i might have to check it out, but would like some input because I don't want to buy it if it's going to be something that I only listen to once and then let it get dusty in my cd rack..

:Smokin:

aaa-HA! I can lend expertise!

Had to study Sgt Pepper's for year 12, which was awesome.

Anywho, long story short - when Pet Sounds came out, Paul McCartney was so impressed by the songwriting, in particular the harmonies, that he based his initial songs for Sgt Pepper's around that style of songwriting... but of course with Sgt. Pepper's, everything sort of didn't go to plan. Started off as a concept album... but that didn't last very long into the album.

Anywho, I have Pet Sounds and apart from some cool songs... a very very very VERY overrated album imo. So many boring filler songs it's not funny.

But there's some info for ya :D

Yeah, I knew that about the influence on Sgt Peppers....

Didn't it go something like:

Brian Wilson heard Rubber Soul (or was it Revolver) and was influenced to write Pet Sounds because of it.

Then Paul Mc heard Pet Sounds and was influenced to write Sgt Peppers because of it.

?

Which are the songs that you think are good Ceydn?
And are they just 'good' or are they pretty darn amazing.... fillers aside

Yeah, I bought Pet Sounds for cheap at HMV last year. Not sure if I even got through it. Quite overrated. But if you can get it cheap then give it a go. One must at least attempt to listen to the Great Albums. It's our responsibility as music fans.

Brian Wilson heard Rubber Soul and was inspired to write Pet Sounds, then The Beatles heard Pet Sounds and tried to outdo him on Revolver and Sgt Pepper's.

The Beach Boys are one of many "great" bands I can't listen to without feeling the urge to empty my bowels, so I can't offer an opinion that isn't a character assassination. Never liked 'em, never will.

W