The Black Dahlia Murder "New Record"

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
From Blabbermouth:

According to MTV.com, Detroit-based extreme metallers THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER have set "Nocturnal" as the title of their follow-up to 2005's "Miasma", due later in the year via Metal Blade Records. "It's definitely in the same vein as our older stuff," vocalist Trevor Strnad told MTV.com in January. "Nothing drastically changed. It's just more tasteful, and some of this new stuff will be faster than the last record."

THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER will record the new CD with Eric Rachel, who mixed "Miasma". "There's going to be a lot more soloing than we've done previously," Strnad explained to MTV.com. "This record's a bit more European-sounding, I think. More so than we already were, if you can imagine that. The solo stuff has a black metal-ish flavor to it. We messed around with that a little bit previously, but some of the songs have a major DISSECTION kind of feel to them."

Lyrically, Strnad said the record — due in the fall — will be "more horror-oriented" than "Miasma". "As far as gore and death and stuff like that goes, I mean, that's all been done — into the ground," he said. "I am just trying to do something like that, but with my own flavor to it. There are still ways to repulse people out there — I just need to figure it all out."

THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER is also working on its first DVD release, which Strnad hopes will include footage documenting the making of the band's next record.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT A FUCKING DVD WITH STUDIO FOOTAGE.

OOOOOOOMMMMMFFFFGAAAAAAAAAAWDDDD.
My favorite band with a fucking dvd.

Well jason has landed the album mix. We begin in june and im REALLY lookin forward to workin on this. These guys are good friends and in my opinion a great band with an intense energy that alot of metal today lacks.

This shits gonna crush!

Ha more soloing? Their lead guitarist is absolutely fucking terrrrrible. I hope he's been practicing.
I agree thir weakest link has always been solos, even on Unhallowed when the drummer was constantly hitting cymbals out of the time solos were still the worst thing on there:lol: I enjoy BDM but i haven't listened to them in probably a year

Well jason has landed the album mix. We begin in june and im REALLY lookin forward to workin on this. These guys are good friends and in my opinion a great band with an intense energy that alot of metal today lacks.

This shits gonna crush!

thank god for that, wasnt impressed by mix on last album. seem like they could be a very good band with a nicely mixed album.

I love the solos. I hear a lot of influences in them, one being James Murphy. I had a chance to hang with them on the SOTU tour and didn't find them to be "stuck up" in the slightest. They were just grimey rockers and really cool to boot. I totally agree with Axeman that these guys have more energy than most of the young bands out right now.

E. Rachel's mixing style grew on me in a big way with Miasma. I wonder why he's not mixing it, too? I realize that some folks don't really like it, but I think that the mix gave that album a certain character and sets it apart from the many forgettable sounding records being made these days. No offense to anyone, but I ain't feeling the Suecof mixing at all. Good producer, but the mixing is pretty bad. Waaaaay too much squashing (and not just on the 2-mix)...and it seems to be getting worse. Bury Your Dead's last album is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I can't even listen to it. The one before that sounds absolutely incredible, though. Mixing can make or break an album...it can also make or break a young band.

yea these guys were a local band around here and actually lived like 15min away. Our bassist is friends with john and they seem pretty cool to me from what i have heard (have not met personally). We def look up to them as there out there doing there thing.

Can't wait for the new album:headbang:

The solo's are a bit monotonous because they follow the same structure. BDM's leads were the one thing i didn't like but it worked with the songs so...

I'm keen to hear the new stuff, maybe the "black metal" influence will make the solo's more interesting.

I think it's almost an insult to James to say that the guys solos remind you of his playing.

It's the same crap, over and over again... start out fairly slow with a melodic/harmonic minor shape, do some whammy tricks, and then run up/down the harmonic minor scale at 16th's or 8th note triplets.

Alot more emotion and feeling in jame's playing for sure... not to mention technical ability. I wont knock their solos though, they are better then I can do. I like the drumming on Miasma...

I think it's almost an insult to James to say that the guys solos remind you of his playing.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Nobody said anything about "remind".... I said you can hear some of his influences in the leads. I mean, the dude ain't no Loomis (few are), but his leads are very melodic, simple, and easy to remember. For most people, that means awesome. For teenagers who are still discovering what music is all about, that means crap. I'm old.

Their former drummer was really good.

I like Eric Rachel's work really well, too.

Axeman, are you strictly an engineer? Any aspirations to call the shots on some projects?

I do mostly engineering, but yeah absolutely production is in the horizon. Working on developing some younger acts right now. But working with jay is a great gig with great acts, and we have a great work flow, so i focus on other stuff when i have time.

And yes mendel i know them personally.