The Blob: mystery solved... dammit!!

Nightwing said:
Well? What was it? That link doesn't work for me.........
The site claims:
A giant blob of rotting flesh found on a Chilean beach was a sperm whale - not a giant octopus, scientists have said. When a sperm whale dies at sea, it rots until it becomes a "skeleton suspended in a semi-liquid mass within a bag of skin and blubber," the scientists said. Eventually, the skin tears and the bones sinks while the skin and blubber float.

Tormentor said:
The site claims:
A giant blob of rotting flesh found on a Chilean beach was a sperm whale - not a giant octopus, scientists have said. When a sperm whale dies at sea, it rots until it becomes a "skeleton suspended in a semi-liquid mass within a bag of skin and blubber," the scientists said. Eventually, the skin tears and the bones sinks while the skin and blubber float.

That definitely sounds like serious disinformation.......it was undoubtedly a giant mutated squid or some kind of space creature that crash landed or fell from the sky. Or some kind of fucked up genetic experiment.......
Much more plausible.

If it was a sperm whale, wouldn't we see this kind of phenomenon more often, if that's what happens when they die?

Nightwing said:
That definitely sounds like serious disinformation.......it was undoubtedly a giant mutated squid or some kind of space creature that crash landed or fell from the sky. Or some kind of fucked up genetic experiment.......
Much more plausible.

If it was a sperm whale, wouldn't we see this kind of phenomenon more often, if that's what happens when they die?

what makes you think it doesnt happen often? sperm whales are one of the largest animals on earth, the most widley destributed of the great whale species and they go to greater ocean depths than any known mamimal-but they dont hang out at the beach! they have migratory paterns and unless you live at one of the poles or near the equator the only time they are going to be somewhere else is when they are migrateing to warmer waters. then you are talking about a species that numbers less than half a million-how many do you think die and have their rotted carcasses make it to shore intact?

different dead or ill see mammals are beached by the thousands every day. how often do you see them? EVERY country with popular public beaches has some kind of agency to deal with this as quickly as possible. sick or dead animals on the beach isnt good for tourism or public safety.

if you go to a remote or less popular beach it is probably a far different story. a pigmyright whale is less than half the size of a sperm whale. it rotted on the beach for 3 months and wasnt removed until people that lived in homes over a mile away began complaining that the smell was driveing them from their homes!

you dont see alot of it because noone is going to leave 50 tons of putrid rotting whale carcass where they have to see and smell it.

aparently i should say noone but people from chile...

MRBEAST said:
what makes you think it doesnt happen often? sperm whales are one of the largest animals on earth, the most widley destributed of the great whale species and they go to greater ocean depths than any known mamimal-but they dont hang out at the beach! they have migratory paterns and unless you live at one of the poles or near the equator the only time they are going to be somewhere else is when they are migrateing to warmer waters. then you are talking about a species that numbers less than half a million-how many do you think die and have their rotted carcasses make it to shore intact?

different dead or ill see mammals are beached by the thousands every day. how often do you see them? EVERY country with popular public beaches has some kind of agency to deal with this as quickly as possible. sick or dead animals on the beach isnt good for tourism or public safety.

if you go to a remote or less popular beach it is probably a far different story. a pigmyright whale is less than half the size of a sperm whale. it rotted on the beach for 3 months and wasnt removed until people that lived in homes over a mile away began complaining that the smell was driveing them from their homes!

you dont see alot of it because noone is going to leave 50 tons of putrid rotting whale carcass where they have to see and smell it.

aparently i should say noone but people from chile...

Firstly, my post was fairly light hearted in nature, dude.

Second, what makes me think this doesn't hjappen often, i.e, a whale carcass washing up on the beach in that form is that it was a major news event!!
Mostly, people can tell it's a whale carcass - this one was a bit different.