The bootlegs thread (version 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a quick question, but it's on-topic, so perhaps that's ok. What do you guys use to record at the shows? Most of the places I've gone, they do a pretty thorough (very thorough for guys, not so much for girls) job of searching people for cameras and recording devices.

~kov.
For the Evolution bootleg Ivana and i made, i hid a video camera (rather-big, i must say) somewhere in my clothes, wore a hoodie to cover it and put a big towel we had bought the previous day on my shoulders to cover it further. Since Ivana and i had already gone in and out several times and it was late (DT played as the sun was setting, which was extremely-cool) (read: after the first couple of hours they stop searching thoroughly), they didn't search us that much. I think that the fact that they looked into Ivana's bag also helped; they thought that whatever we were smuggling in, if anything, was bound to be there and nowhere-else.

edit: There was just about no security near the stage, and the few guards there seemed more concerned with people not assaulting the stage or anything than with people recording the gig. I guess we were lucky.

Episode 2 of How to make a bootleg of your favorite band will concern making sure that the camera has full battery and why you should check that more than once before the show.

Reactions: Rincewind
I don't go to shows often, but a lot of people here seem to be taking small vids with their cellphones. Of course the quality is crap and i suppose the bootlegs are small, but it's a solution when all else fails.

Phone idea isn't half bad, actually... and if worst came to worst I could probably use my gf's digital camera (but I'd have to do that at the wuster show).

Undo: Hehe, the battery thing made me chuckle.

~kov.

Yes, and then we took the tape to be turned into a dvd, but i couldn't turn the .vob files into files that QuickTime or iTunes or WMP or anything can read, so everybody here settled for an audio bootleg of the gig (that's 2006.07.15 Toscolano Maderno). You're probably better-off without it anyway, since it's really awful (we weren't in the best position ever (so there are a lot of tall people blocking the view), and the moshers hit us several times (so it's all bouncy), and then we had to cover the camera because they started throwing water (so there are moments of visual blackness and muffled audio)).

usually to have the best recording you should stay just in front of the mixing area, facing the stage.. that is the point with the best audio..

btw in Italy they very very rarely check for recording devices.. and usually bootleg recorders use minidiscs with very small microphones, so it's easy to get in without making security guys notice u have something to record anyway.. as for cameras u can easily hide it in your clothes..

My love: Of course i won't. :lol:

Just made the following additions to the list:

• Dark Tranquillity - 1992.05.21 Stockholm (Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1994.08.__ Sala (Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1995.12.01 Enschede (blackashinheritance)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1995.12.02 Rotterdam (blackashinheritance)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1996.05.07 Copenhagen (Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1996.05.21 Lisbon (blackashinheritance)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1996.05.24 Lyon (blackashinheritance, Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1997.12.05 Rotterdam (blackashinheritance, Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1997.12.09 Essen (UndoControl)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1997.12.10 Trier (Exposure)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1997.12.19 Strasbourg (blackashinheritance)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1999.09.03 Osaka (blackashinheritance)
• Dark Tranquillity - 1999.10.05 Milan (Rincewind, UndoControl)
• Dark Tranquillity - 2001.05.19 Bengtsfors (Rincewind, UndoControl)
• Dark Tranquillity - 2001.08.04 Wacken (Rincewind, UndoControl)
• Dark Tranquillity - 2006.07.15 Toscolano Maderno (blackashinheritance)
• In Flames - 1994 Vitahuset (blackashinheritance)

Today's update

Removals:
- Dark Tranquillity - 2006.07.15 Toscolano Maderno (blackashinheritance)
- In Flames - 1994 Vitahuset (blackashinheritance)

Fixes:
• blackashinheritance's Arch Enemy bootleg is only one song

Additions:
+ At The Gates - 1995.02.05 Manchester [video] (Rincewind, UndoControl)
+ At The Gates - 1996.03.22 Corona [video] (Rincewind, UndoControl)
+ Children Of Bodom - 2003 Helsinki [video] (Rincewind, UndoControl)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 1997.12.09 Essen [audio] (Rincewind, UndoControl)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 1999.10.05 Milan [audio] (Rincewind, UndoControl)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 1999.08.07 Wacken [audio] (blackashinheritance)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 2000.09.08 Erfurt [audio] (blackashinheritance)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 2000.09.28 Vosselaar [audio] (blackashinheritance)
+ Dark Tranquillity - 2000.10.28 Mexico City [audio] (blackashinheritance)

Another update was made today. Please note that the whole thing with the blue + sign is gone (it's obsolete, it's annoying and it looks ugly).

Note to everybody in general and blackashinheritance in particular: please give me the month as a word and not as a number, just like Dark_Silence did. It makes everything a lot easier for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.