The classical genre...Janne?

the_drip

Martriden K
Jan 8, 2004
Spokane WA.
I"m just curious about what pieces of keyboard music (classical piano) stuff Janne has learned over the span of his life? I studied piano for 12 years before giving up on it...but...I'm getting the itch to start whipping it out..and am considering adding a bunch of keyboard stuff to my own compositions. But, am I good enough? THe last piece I really learned (abnd performed) was "Un Sospiro", by Franz Liszt..and it really kicked my ass. I know a few Rachmaninoff preludes..as well as all the other crap..Chopin, Beethoven...Schubert impromptu's. I suck at Jazz piano though. I can't play jazz for shit.

do I need to get my ass in and practice my keyboard chops? I really don't havea lot of experience with synthesizers either...are they a bitch?

well i can play a weezer song on the keyboard....so suck it!

just kidding, i suck at the keyboard....but i really can play the sweater song.

Hey..yah gotta start somewhere I guess. I used to really dig that song when it first came out...I was 13 I think? Don't remember the keyboard parts in it though.

I play the keyboard, too. Sometimes I get too lazy to play cuz I think it's too easy. I can play some classical music and even a few Cradle of Filth songs. I wish I wasn't too lazy to play though cuz I really like playing the keyboard, it's the only instrument I actually know how to play, and I know I still have a lot more to learn about playing in order to be in a band, too.

I think I'm ready...I've been studying music since I was 8 (attending music school for a BME degree now) I've hit a stalemate on guitar and haven't really gotten any better in the past year...so I guess I'm just looking for an easier way to be "good" Since... I was borderline concert pianist my senior year of high school, I think it might be a good thing to go back to...I only quit because I ididn't like being told what I should play...by the college piano instructors. i have a pretty strong background in counterpoint and your basic music theory..through to 20th century music (the classical kind)

now...I'm thinking of picking up a Yamaha 88 key synth...I would get a korg triton like everybody else does..but I dont' have that kind of moolah...are these things easy to use? Or is a whole different ball game than.say a steinway grand piano.

Well, I have a Yamaha keyboard, but that's all I know about it, lol. I totally agree with you about not wanting to play the keys anymore cuz you're being told what to play. That takes the fun out of your hobby. I have some background in music theory, as well. I guess I just need to put it in good use now.

Keyboards and pianos are totally different. I read in an interview with Janne that he thinks the piano is much better than the keyboard cuz of the sound and touch and everything. I agree with him cuz I had to play both instruments in school and I find them totally different from one another. I find the piano keys more heavier than the keyboard keys, but then again, that's only my opinion.

I have been playing for one year and I can whip out a few ok solos if needed! I guess it depends how you play and what your used to playing. most of jannes solos are just 1 handed cutting through octaves fast so i saw and practiced and practiced... i would recomend an emu pk6 its a great keyboard its cheap and has lead sounds and if u learn to program u can get some cool sounds (its all in the manual) i also have a cool tilted stand like janne :) i take influence from him greatly and tuomas from nightwish and of course the GOD of keys jens of strato!

I sucked so bad in classical piano that I had to leave playing that stuff to professionals. And the reason why Jens is so fucking good is that he is really good with classical shit too.

Janne Warman said:
I sucked so bad in classical piano that I had to leave playing that stuff to professionals. And the reason why Jens is so fucking good is that he is really good with classical shit too.

hmm you seem to be doing fine on teh CoB albums, but i guess that's not exactly classical. :worship:

I guess I'll just have to splurge and get myself a synth and see what the fuck I can do with it. I went and started practicing Schubert's Impromptu in g flat major out of sheer boredom today, I'm pretty rusty with teh piano...but it's coming back pretty quickly, kind of like riding a bike, once you learn you never really forget how.

i recall piano the first instrument I started to take lessons on when i was a wee sprat. Then in high school I attempted two years of musical theory(with a classical base)and I do recall the classical stuff being, well, to put it bluntly, a REAL bitch to learn. :D Kudos to your playing, Janne., it's excellent. :) I recall my friend telling me of your drinking WHILE playing. How do you manage that one? :D

no offence Janne, but you're just a Malmsteen on keyboards...maybe a few kilograms short. i respect your talent alot, but just seeing you play scales and arpeggios gets a bit boring.