The Darkness?!?!?!

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
So, I get this package in the mail from my brother TVF.
I open it up. In there there are various goodies. Also enclosed is a
copy of The Darkness-Permission to Land. With a note from TVF it read:
*****-
Hope You Like The Darkness!
Give 'em a Spin!
TVF
:OMG:
So I did. I honestly, haven't like what I have heard. Then again all I have heard was the track "I Believe in a thing Called Love." That's a mouth full isn't it?! While I don't think I go on to become a big fan of the band. I can honestly say that I respect what they are doing. I can't really nail their sound. In some tracks they have this AC/DC thing goin' on, in others you can clearly hear their Queen & Zeppe influences, I think there's some Cars in there somewhere. Listen to track 3 "Growing on Me" that track does just what the title of the track says. That one has grown on me! And that track clearly sounds like it could have been on any record by The Cars. Enough of my rambling. The question I'm throwin' out to you guys is this...
The Darkness are you buyin' or sellin'?!:erk:

Buying. They are a good hard rock band.

Swine - Give it a few more listens. They didn't do much for me the first time I heard them but the more you hear it the more it will grow on you. It took me some time to get used to the singer.

Greeno said:
Buying. They are a good hard rock band.

Swine - Give it a few more listens. They didn't do much for me the first time I heard them but the more you hear it the more it will grow on you. It took me some time to get used to the singer.
You know what? After giving it a couple spins I do feel that 1/2 of the record is well written & does it for me...:devil:

the darkness what a load of trash if it wasnt for the likes of radio stations and mags makeing them their champions, they would be a pub rock band playin your local.There are far beter bands out there that just dont get the chance to play to the masses beca.use fools like them suck corprate cock to get were they are. ive seen better bands at our local venue which put the darkness to shame .

hogghead said:
the darkness what a load of trash if it wasnt for the likes of radio stations and mags makeing them their champions, they would be a pub rock band playin your local.There are far beter bands out there that just dont get the chance to play to the masses beca.use fools like them suck corprate cock to get were they are. ive seen better bands at our local venue which put the darkness to shame .
What the hell is wrong with you? PiGGHEAD?! Of course there's better bands out there. I don't recall that being the topic. Better bands than...
Listen, you could not name any "new" bands in the same genre as the Darkness that are better right now. Name one. And they better not be NUMETAL! You must be record exec that got turn down by male musician for fellecio?! You aren't Silverhaze using a new ID are ya?!:p

sixxswine said:
Listen, you could not name any "new" bands in the same genre as the Darkness that are better right now. Name one. And they better not be NUMETAL!

Was thinking the same thing! If there are other bands like them pease name them so I can check them out.

there isnt a single new band out there really like them.thats whats created such an interest.25 years ago,there was probably 20 bands like them on the scene,and they were all probably told to fuck off cause everyone had started to listen to motorhead etc and didnt want any poncy girly vocals anymore......I AM THE IRONFIST!!!
to be fair to hogghead as well sixx-he doesnt talk about other bands in the same genre,just other bands in general,reading his post.i for one have seen bands i like more than the darkness at my local venue,hell when i saw the darkness play live there were other bands there i liked more-jerry cantrell and his band were playing,they did 5 songs off of dirt,it fuckin ruled.the man is a god.

Glad to hear you liked it SWINE! Hey, I'll admit that I only picked up the cd in the first place because I had heard all the hype and I saw it at Target CHEAP for only $7.99. I'm always a sucker for that...when they put a new release out for that low price to get it moved. Anyway, at first I was like the Swine..."hmmm. It's ok. I can tell who they were influenced by, but WTF is up with that singer?!?!" Then, after a couple more spins (all I do is drive all day for my job!) I found myself with the choruses stuck in my head, and from there I became a devotee. I'm not saying they're the best band in the world, or that underground bands out there like LAMB OF GOD don't deserve more attention. I'm just saying here's a cool cd if you give it a chance....

Hmmm, I feel mixed on them. I have to admit they're catchy and I often find that song "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" stuck in my head, but I think they're too gimmicky and too...just comical. Maybe if they took their music a little more seriously and made more of an effort they could be a good ,credible band.

tedvanfrehley said:
Then, after a couple more spins (all I do is drive all day for my job!) I found myself with the choruses stuck in my head,

Same here. It's a sign of a good band when out of nowhere you find yourself sining one of their songs in your head.

I read some place that the singer is actually a guitar player who ended up singing for lack of a real singer. I'll be watching these guys for a few albums, because if he learns to tone down the high stuff (only use it for effects) he may turn into a pretty good singer. I like is "regular" voice. Either way they write some good music.

Hey Baldyboy -- are they big in your part of the world? I heard that the album was #1 in some countries over there, or is that just hype to get us Americans to buy it? :)

no its true greeno,they were no 1 in the uk charts for thier album,a couple of singles went to no1 too.i love the cheezyness of it,and musically theres nothin wrong with them,some really good and really bad points.it does seem that generally you either really like or really hate.
for me,any band who has a song called "get your hands of my woman,motherfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuker"cant be all bad.

sixxswine said:
You're right they are unmetal, that's because they are a rock n roll band!!!!
Give the man a rubber tortilla!

:lol:

Loved the 2 videos I saw.... totally over the top!!!! They're putting fun back into music.

SpiritCrusherBTR said:
Hmmm, I feel mixed on them. I have to admit they're catchy and I often find that song "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" stuck in my head, but I think they're too gimmicky and too...just comical. Maybe if they took their music a little more seriously and made more of an effort they could be a good ,credible band.

If they were to take their music more seriously they wouldn't be the same band. These guys are bringing a bit of fun back in to rock if you want something different there are plenty of other bands out there without trying to turn the darkness in to something else. Anyone seen them live? They do a stunning live show.