The Death of American Radio

College radio! .. I do a show saturday nights on 88.9 WCVF (SUNY Fredonia) called The Gates of Hell. Play 3 or 4 hours every week of fucking undergound metal.. too bad it doesn't broadcast very far.. although I heard since we are close to lake, it can go across to Canada. Hmm

Fun show though... If anybody wants to send me a couple bucks I could send you a couple tapes of the show at least :)

The political implications of Clear Channel- good question. I guess the death of American Radio started when Reagan changed the Anti-trust laws- and then CLinton put the final nail in the coffin by even further reducing restrictions. By the way- the head of the FCC- is none other than Colin Powell's son- a nice spoil system we have going on here. Also from what I understand there are basically 6 american companies that own over 95% of media outlets- how american- hell I think soon there will be only two or three- I guess we took some lessons from the communists.

As for Clear Channel- they own almost all of the radio stations in my home town- and they own the local CBS tv station- they all cross promote every hour of the day- it is getting kinda of sick.

As for the other ramifications- well I know it is Clear Channel that promotes the ultra conservative talk radio- Clear Channel also will not allow any- and I mean any of its stations- to play any music from a number of bands- including megadeth, slayer etc. Further, as I can get all the stations in another city Clear Channel has a radio monopoly in- it is true that the hard rock radio channel plays exactly the same songs- sometimes at the same time- this is true of the classic rock station as well.

Sad that American lives are being programmed by so few companies.