The Death of American Radio

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Does anyone else think American radio is the cause of our present mainstream music meltdown- especially the lack of a talented mainstream hard rock or metal band? I turn on the radio, and I hear shit, that sounds just like the shit that was on before it- bands like POD- Hoobastank- Creed- Chevelle- etc. Song after song- they all sound the same- and they all suck. Even worse is the fact that the rock stations that play hard rock- metal- only play the same 10-15 songs over and over again- or they play the same old stuff over and over again- I dont know how many times the local station has the same songs from Lynyrd Skynyrd on- or Van Halen- or even the few radio friendly metal songs- like anything from the Black album etc.

I am boycotting rock radio- I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

I did that a long time ago. The only thing I will listen to is stuff like Howard Stern's show. The thing is, radio stations have playlists and kind of have to stick to them and unfortunately it's all the same songs and even on classic rock stations where there are a million songs to choose from, they rarely dip outside of the playlists. They're paid to play a lot of these bands and it sucks because the bands write one catchy song , sell a million records, and then fall off the planet. I don't like the music, but I can't see supporting these bands if they have no longevity. Anyway, I don't like radio anymore and have a big enough CD collection that I don't have to worry about it.

was this your first experience with American radio? its fairly established that modern rock/metal radio sucks. simple. however, theres a station near me outside of my range that plays some good stuff. theyre promoting the SYL/meshuggah show and the Opeth/Lacuna Coil show here

I don't even bother listening to the radio because of obvious reasons stated above. It's a joke.

The only good radio i ever hear is the radio show me and my friend have at our college from 8pm saturday to 4am sunday where we play all metal. Its fucking badass and the way radio should be, cause as we all know real radio is all the same thing everywhere and songs like drops of jupiter are on rock stations... which is crap. I dont get it, but i pray that it one day changes.

speed said:
Does anyone else think American radio is the cause of our present mainstream music meltdown- especially the lack of a talented mainstream hard rock or metal band? I turn on the radio, and I hear shit, that sounds just like the shit that was on before it- bands like POD- Hoobastank- Creed- Chevelle- etc. Song after song- they all sound the same- and they all suck. Even worse is the fact that the rock stations that play hard rock- metal- only play the same 10-15 songs over and over again- or they play the same old stuff over and over again- I dont know how many times the local station has the same songs from Lynyrd Skynyrd on- or Van Halen- or even the few radio friendly metal songs- like anything from the Black album etc.

That's precisely the way it is here :erk: and I boycotted it a long time ago, however I believe MTV is more to blame for the decay of mainstream music. There are some cool stations out there, mainly college, that play a good selection of metal and other good underground music. MTV simply dominates television as far as "music" is concerned....unless you count VH1's Rock Show thing, which is ok but should be so much better. Then again, I say screw VH1 too because of that stupid thing they did basically giving murderers and rapists in jail 15 minutes of fame just because they're involved in bands.

I might listen to 1 hour of rock radio a week. I do it because there might be a decent rock (not alternative or nu-metal) band like The Dolls or Fuel that has a listenable song on the radio. I think most of what is played is how you explained it, new stuff and "classic" stuff as well. I have no problem with Skynyrd or VH and would even turn up the radio if they played "different" songs by them. I happen to like "Highway Song" by Blackfoot which is Southern Rock. That song has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever written, but it is a cold day in hell even a classic rock station plays that one because of the track length. Blackfoot doesn't have the clout of LS, so they don't get the airplay, though I think they blow LS off the planet. There is a lot of quality 70's rock music out there, but only a few tracks get played.
Don't take this reply the wrong way. I strongly pregfer metal 98% of the time but I like good rock music too. I do get burned out briefly from time to time on it though. It would be nice to tune into the radio and listen to some good R&R but it doesn't happen. The problem is, the rock music I like doesn't get touched by the radio stations or it is completely worn out by them from being over-played.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I happen to like "Highway Song" by Blackfoot which is Southern Rock. That song has one of the best opening guitar riffs ever written, but it is a cold day in hell even a classic rock station plays that one because of the track length. Blackfoot doesn't have the clout of LS, so they don't get the airplay, though I think they blow LS off the planet.

Dude, that is an awesome song. I was just listening to that today, not a lot of other people know that one. Some of those longer southern rockers are epics, for sure, definitely plenty of guitars going on there.

Orion Crystal Ice said:
Dude, that is an awesome song. I was just listening to that today, not a lot of other people know that one. Some of those longer southern rockers are epics, for sure, definitely plenty of guitars going on there.

I agree about the epics. Some of the Southern Rock stuff is a little too blues/country based for me, but when they want to rock, they know how to as well as anyone. There is also little denying the talent in many of those bands. Dicky Betts of The Allman Brothers (also the vocalist on some songs like Ramblin' Man) is a killer guitar player. There is no telling how good he could have been if he were ever sober. : /

Bryant

I think the big problem though is that Radio play still equals sales- even for the most talentless of artists- and so many good bands never will see the light of day on the radio, as they dont have a few hundred thousand to pay to the independent producers- to get their songs on the air.

I think MTV is the one to blame than the radio for turning the minds of a lot of North American kids to just shit. I'm sick and tired of seeing all these fucking suburban white kids trying to act like some fake gangsta like Eminem. Teens have very impressionable minds to whatever is in and cool at the time. Pantera's "We'll Grind That Axe For A Long Time" is all about this if you want to see what I'm saying.

i love college radio and other "free" radio. there's so much good music and there's all kinds of it. just browse through the stations you have on your radio and you'll probably find something good.

I don't like mainstream radio. Its all bullshit music now a days. I do like the classic rock stations. I like the independent stations, there is a cool one here, and on Saturday nites they have an underground metal show at like 2am, and they don't play that nu metal shit either. They play shit that you never would hear on mainstream ever.

Well, you've got Clear Channel Communications and the FCC to thank for this mess. It wouldn't surprise me that that a playlist might come from central corporate office. And with the FCC loosening regulations on station ownership, CCC is looking to buy more stations and enter the TV market as well.

Just as an aside, has anyone considered the political implications (i.e, censorship and propaganda) of the Clear Channel Empire???