The definitive Studio Checklist

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I've spent a few hours today touching up the default document I send to every band I work with. Before printing it off as the final version, I'd love to get some input from you guys about things I may have overlooked.

I hope in the process of checking it over you find the document to be useful to you when working with artists.

Here it is: Systematic Studio Checklist

Cheers!

Nice. Not too detailed, not too heavy handed and the final line about it being "all about the music" is a very nice touch.

BTW, good choice on the business name. Very appropriate for you.

Nice. Not too detailed, not too heavy handed and the final line about it being "all about the music" is a very nice touch.

BTW, good choice on the business name. Very appropriate for you.

Great checklist....of course noone around here in my town would ever pay attention to it but if a band wants a good result thats what they need.

One question though. What do you mean by a lot of basses play sharp even though a tuner says there in tune. I never heard of this happeneing myself....did i miss somthing in noobcamp?

Very well written, good job Ermin!
The only fault I noticed was in the bassist section; "Knows the songs well." I guess it's supposed to be Know.

This is very, very good man! All Sneapsters should give a beer for this :) Very preventive and useful!

On "client" point of view I find your paper a to be a bit patronising.

I know your objective with this is to make the best out of their music, but it might scare off clients too. A lot of young bands don't even have a clue of what BPM stands for and don't know the difference between a Marshall combo and a Mesa stack.

In an ideal world your paper is great, but if you're not (yet) a super busy producer/engineer I would amend some paragraphs in your paper - particularly under the General section.

Great checklist....of course noone around here in my town would ever pay attention to it but if a band wants a good result thats what they need.

One question though. What do you mean by a lot of basses play sharp even though a tuner says there in tune. I never heard of this happeneing myself....did i miss somthing in noobcamp?

If you tune a bass with long notes and then play a sequence of hard-plucked notes, they will sound sharp. Whenever you pluck a string on any instrument, the attack of the note will be sharp and then it will return to vibrating at it's natural frequency. In metal where the bass and guitar tend to be only 1 octave apart and there are many fast passages, this becomes a real problem, so many engineers tune the bass slightly flat for tracking in the studio

Thanks guys. I'm glad for the most part you're digging it.

@Sickan: I'll get onto fixing up that typo. Thanks!

@ParsonsMatt: I actually went out of my way to use language as plain as I could. Hmm, is there any particular sections you are referring to? I'm not sure if I can write any more 'dumbed down' and still sound concise.

@Smy: The idea is that not everybody needs to read every section. Every member just reads the 'general' section and then the section devoted to their instrument. If they're only recording, they don't need to read about editing, mixing or mastering. It's only 3 pages long. If they don't have the attention span to at least read the 1 full page dedicated to themselves, then chances are that they are clients I would rather avoid anyway.

@Gomez: Which parts do you find patronizing? I've presented a document that resembles this one very closely to many bands throughout the years and I've yet to receive any complaints. On the flip side, most welcome it as it gives them direction and clear tasks to perform prior to recording. I find many are kept in the dark about too many things, and I'm all about being upfront. If they can't handle it, then it's best they don't work with me.

@barryen: skesis basically nailed it. In metal you commonly have someone picking or plucking at a flurry of notes, and lower-tuned strings above all tend to go quite sharp upon the initial attack. If the tempo is fast enough, you're bound to get somebody playing their bass sharp all the time. This was something brought up by Andy here a while ago, where he mentioned that a lot of the time he'll tune the bass slightly flat.

@nebulous: cheers. I've yet to get the new business look uploaded and registered officially, but it's almost sorted. It'll be good to finally operate behind a business name that isn't solely my own.

@Erlend: Sure, as long as you keep the credit at the end :)

In the general section, about making a demo - it says "make it through." at the end. Is this supposed to be "make it thorough" ?