The definitive Studio Checklist

It's really a lot easier when it's done with one dude... If the other guitarist bitches and he's at least solid as well then get them to split the tracks up, but either way, only one rhythm guitarist playing all the parts on one track. Even if both guys are super tight it will still sound way better with one dude doing the whole song.

That's a really good idea dude, and I never thought of that! (having the two guitarists alternate songs but each playing all the rhythm parts per song, I mean)

Ive heard of having one guy play all the rhythm gtr parts before. I think Slayer did that for some records. Atleast thats what Kerry King said. I really think thats stupid though. Who the hell would want to be in a band and not play on their own record? I would never do that to a band. Just my opinion though. I dont wanna be the next big thing. I just wanna make some records with some bands.
Im working with a punk band now. Its an audio trainwreck. Both guitarists are sloppy, the singer sucks, & the drummer isnt perfect. We did day 1 of tracking, and i did some mixes for them and they were thrilled. Im doing the record according to what THEY want, not what I want or anyone else wants. They are firm believers that overproduction kills records. I agree to a point. Just dont tell them I replaced all the drums! haha.
I like to hear music made from the soul. The human aspect is very important to me. It doesnt matter to me if some highschool kid doesnt think its "brootal" enough. ;)

@Marcus: I've done that on a few records. It works fairly well if the band can't settle on a single guy to do the entire CD. It's the best compromise solution. Certainly miles better than both playing rhythm on one track.

@James: Now there's a tip to go down in the memory bank. Good thing the studio vending machine is loaded with snickers. I love the things.

@Aaron: I might try that. There's some spare 'acoustic' foam lying around which can be cut up and crammed under the strings. Beats buying hair bands anyway.

@Keith: That's the great thing about producing. We all fill a certain niche. You want to represent the band. I want to represent the music. Both approaches have their own place.

I totally agree dude.
Ya know, maybe my attitude might change after making a buncha albums. I dont work for a studio, im just some guy in the sticks of Pennsylvania who wants to make records. I wish I could work in a studio, but thats just not an option.
I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone.

room temperature water is best normally... but yeah, Ken Owen told me he used to eat a snickers bar to get those really sick nasty vox he did on the first few Carcass releases.

Yeah, room temperature water is the best thing - too cold and you constrict blood vessels and you'll loose the effect of any warming up you've done, and too hot it just horrible (it can cause issues too, like swelling).

The reason people say not to drink tea is a) because it's hot and b) because most people put milk in it, and lactose makes you phlegmy.

Honey is somewhat counter-intuitive because it is sugary BUT it is proven to soothe you throat, and lots of vocal coaches recommend it. If the singer's throat is fine they shouldn't use it, but if their voice starts getting tired at the end of the day - it should be mixed with lemon juice and a touch of hot water and drank slowly. It can help you get a couple more hours out of them.

As for the Snickers thing - drinking/eating something sugary (chocolate/cola/etc.) 10-15 minutes before you start recording will make your saliva thick and sticky, which can help give screams/grunts that nice 'crackle' - however it will probably reduce the length of time the singer can work in a day, and will wreck any chance of getting clean vocals done.

Ermz - the only thing I can't see you mention is warming up. It's always worth getting guitarists/bassists to start warming up before they have to perform; it can save a lot of dud takes. Also with vocalists, most metal guys have never done a warm up in their life, so it might be worth telling them to have a look around for some exercises.

Steve

LOL I dont use it at all for anything, just to goof around :lol:

Even when I don't use it, after practicing for 6-7 years with one, playing string thrus feel goofy as shit.

When we go into the studio, we're showing up with 4 alder body jacksons all with floyds and two racks full of 80's guitar shit.

:lol:

Looks like I won't be going to ermz studio

Some egocentric musicians who don't understand shit written in the checklist would never wanna learn about why such rules and regulations are necessary. People still can't differentiate between 'Mixing' and 'Magic'.

Indeed. ^_^
Regarding the floyd problem, I apparently don't have a sting-through guitar:lol: So what I do is: I dampen the springs using soft loops of rubber band, one loop for each spring - very tightly wrapped. Well, something's better than nothing :D

Indeed. ^_^
Regarding the floyd problem, I apparently don't have a sting-through guitar:lol: So what I do is: I dampen the springs using soft loops of rubber band, one loop for each spring - very tightly wrapped. Well, something's better than nothing :D

Isn't stuffing floating trem guitars with random soft materials a common practice?

:lol:

I remember seeing a trivium studio vid where Matt had TP all over his dean. I've got mine stuffed with foam and hair bands.

That's why you track rhythms with one guitar, and leads with another! ;)

Meh, since we tune only half step down and all of our gutiars are the exact same minus shape (V's, RRs, Kellys) and pickups

And lets just say our rhythms are very alexi/roope inspired? You know, never really rhythm, sometimes lead, squeel, dive, repeat.

Feels good man. :cool: