The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters
Just because he doesn't play technically in Tool doesn't mean he isn't capable... I mean, his guitar playing has loads of atmosphere in it, which to me is much more difficult to achieve/worthy of praise than simply practicing until you can play really fast/technical shit.

10,000 days has too many fillers. thats the main problem there really.

has everyone recognized the two tracks to be played at the same time? the wings for mary tracks and the virginti-tres? does anyone else know what im talking about?

I loved tracks like Lipan Conjuring off 10,000 Days. Most people describe this as filler, but it has a nice atmosphere and theres nothing really wrong with it to me.

im talking about tracks like useful idiot, ions, faaip de oiad etc. theyre just bullshit peices of music, if youd call it that, that waste peoples time. the worst part about it is the fact that maynard claims they have significance. what significance is there in 4 minutes of thunder crashes? or 40 odd seconds of static that gets louder? if theyre meant to be an intro to a song then fine, but they don't stand up as singular tracks.

im talking about tracks like useful idiot, ions, faaip de oiad etc. theyre just bullshit peices of music, if youd call it that, that waste peoples time. the worst part about it is the fact that maynard claims they have significance. what significance is there in 4 minutes of thunder crashes? or 40 odd seconds of static that gets louder? if theyre meant to be an intro to a song then fine, but they don't stand up as singular tracks.

useful idiot is basically the sound of the end of a record.

not just 'static'

either way, i too hate tracks like that.

faaip de oiad is fucking awesome! its so creepy.

Aenima is still the best and by far. It's much deeper than Lateralus, lyrics , album flow.. just untouchable. I guess you don't get the album if you're bothered by the segues ; they really bring something to the album contrary to some of Lateralus imo . There's just not enough asperity in Lateralus not to mention the production, which is too polished and reveals some of the album's flaws . I still like it very much , around 7.5/10 or 8 maybe. Maybe I have already said that.

Definitely ænima, but Lateralus is their craziest cd, and 10,000 days is like a perfect mix of all the albums before it.

Well I like tool but I really don't understand why they have those filler songs, they are just annoying in my opinion. Seriously, they ruin the records for me I cant listen to whole lateralus album for example despite it being my favorite.

I would most likely get bashed on any tool forum for being weak-minded but that's just how I experience their music. I LOVE their normal songs such as the grudge, lateralus, right in two, 10000 days, vicarious, aenima, stinkfist, third eye and well, songs that are SONGS.

I'm thinking about burning a "best of" tool album with proper songs heh, would be much easier to listen to but then again it isnt the same feeling

no its not, -eons for example is NOT a song, same is true for useful idiot. they basically have no meaning at all and it's annoying to constantly keep a finger on the remote controll to my stereo to skip those tracks.

I don't mind the filler tracks...but they are frivolous.

Tool is a good band, but they (primarily Maynard I think) are pretentious as hell...as are a lot of their fans.