The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters
Does anyone else think Adam Jones holds the tool back ?, he seems like an average guitarist at best and seems to be bland nor have much technique or diversity or a range of ideas. Adam Jones is like a basic hard rock guitarist trying to be sophisticated and expirimental imo. I was listening to A Perfect Circe -mer de noms' yesterday and was thinking how much better tool would be with APC's guitarists. I could not possibly listen to tool now. Majority of Adam Jones riffs are samey, once in awile he will write a riff that's better than an average hard rock riff. If tool did not have really good drumming they would be screwed. For the ammount of time it takes tool to write music they should have much better riffs and guitar playing. The new songs I have heard are by far the most bland and boring songs by the band to date.

A lot of riffs are similar.. but I think it works. I like how the bass and guitar work together on a lot of parts, like the intro to Vicarious. I wouldn't want Adam to leave, but I do think having two guitarists would benefit them.

It would be nice if Danny Carey left tool and did something interesting.

Well he has always been a prolific and somewhat innovative artist, who made at least their first couple videos, which definitely qualified as interesting.

QUICK EDIT: Wait, that was Adam Jones, nevermind.

its interesting that 10,000 days got 12 votes where as Undertow got only 1

As a matter of personal opinion, I can't see how anyone could possibly fail to recognise that '10 000 Days' slaughters 'Undertow'. Hell, I even think it slaughters 'Aenima'! I think it's a really great record. I concede that I seem to be in the minority though. In reality anyway.

Nothing on 'Lateralus' though. Not even close.

As a matter of personal opinion, I can't see how anyone could possibly fail to recognise that '10 000 Days' slaughters 'Undertow'. Hell, I even think it slaughters 'Aenima'! I think it's a really great record. I concede that I seem to be in the minority though. In reality anyway.

Nothing on 'Lateralus' though. Not even close.

I agree with you on the fact that 10,000 days slaughters Undertow, I just thought it was a bit odd because I know Undertow has a lot of fans and I also know that alot of people think 10,000 days is rubbish.

I love Aenima and Lateralus about equally though!

Yeah Adam's playing on 10k is rather boring and samey too often, and it doesn't help that the guitar is so prominent in the mix. Still think he suits the band perfect though, they all share the spotlight really well.

Tool should never be a guitar based band. It works fine. go listen to symphony x. I hate you all. Dieeee.

^^

Plus, You have to realize, Adam Jones' guitar playing is part of what Tool is, there is no 'holding back'. he is essentially (despite his lower technical ability) one of the reasons tool is where they are now.