The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters
Yay, another Tool thread. I saw Tool at the same venue as affinityband and enjoyed the show, although the decibels made my ears bleed and the T-shirts were clearly priced to prop up Maynard's nose-powder fund. My superficial judgement about the demographic making up most of the audience was pretty much "wankers" though tbh... like people who think smoking pot makes you a deep thinker... Maybe it's Tool FANS that are most of the problem, Tool sounded good live and Lateralus is a good album.

Heckelgruber said:
Yay, another Tool thread. I saw Tool at the same venue as affinityband and enjoyed the show, although the decibels made my ears bleed and the T-shirts were clearly priced to prop up Maynard's nose-powder fund. My superficial judgement about the demographic making up most of the audience was pretty much "wankers" though tbh... like people who think smoking pot makes you a deep thinker... Maybe it's Tool FANS that are most of the problem, Tool sounded good live and Lateralus is a good album.

Id pretty much agree with all that, except for the decibels part. My ears were fine. Although my friends dad said his ears were pretty much bleedin when adam jones was controling his feedback. But he was standing further back than us, so maybe that was it.

No, that pain I expreienced is EXACTLY what was intended to be conveyed by Maynard, so who the fuck am I to mess with his artistic vision just because of my petty little hearing concerns?

NineFeetUnderground said:
did you lose a bet? or are just against actually BURNING your money?

edit: wait...for tool? or dream theater?

i saw tool about 3 or 4 years ago when King Crimson opened for them. i had barely even heard much from tool at the time.

king crimson opening for tool? :erk:

Bought tool tix for sept 29th & just found out that Opeth will be playing the same date locally. I've never seen Tool before, but have seen Opeth many times, so I've decided to attend the Tool show & travel to a different Opeth show. Opeth & Tool in the same week should be most excellent.

Not sure whats up with all the Tool hating ??? 95% of the posts on this forum are negative, which I find amusing.

Lots of different tastes amongst Opeth fans. There's also a bunch of immature idiots kicking around.
Most of which probably still live at home with their parents :lol:

Heckelgruber said:
^ I was up in the erk seats upstairs and AJs feedback was getting to the point where it was uncomfortoble sometimes iirc.

You could put your fingers in your ears imo. :)

Tool seem to love NZ, they came twice in the space of about 6 months for the Lateralus tour, both shows were great. They are ment to be coming back in November. Apparently we have the most Tool fans per capita. :cry:

I used to like them a lot but as I keep discovering more and more bands I find they keep getting pushed further and further down to the point where I dont' listen to them much at all anymore. There is just so much more out there that is superior.

Adam Jones sounds to much like a basic hard rock/grunge guitarist trying to expand his sound.

Yes, Jones may be a relatively limited guitarist, but I think that's kind of missing the point of Tool. It's the fact that they make such a tight, innovative unit that's most exciting about them.

That, and the fact that Danny Carey pwns.

I know a lot of people aren't keen at ALL, but I love Maynard James Keenan's vocals. There's something wonderful about the timbre of his voice to me. It feels... personal, on some level, where many other vocalists don't. Seems to be a 'love it or hate it' situation though.