The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters
their diehard fans who say people who don't like them don't *understand* their music make me want to hurl. especially as the music, being metal, really isn't that complicated. their fans make me like them less.

fps said:
their diehard fans who say people who don't like them don't *understand* their music make me want to hurl. especially as the music, being metal, really isn't that complicated. their fans make me like them less.
I used to not "understand Tool". I liked them, but I didn't truly understand them at first and I didn't know that I didn't understand them. So you're probably the same way. And they're not even metal...

FRUGiHOYi said:
I used to not "understand Tool". I liked them, but I didn't truly understand them at first and I didn't know that I didn't understand them. So you're probably the same way. And they're not even metal...

oh puhlease. i'm a big fan of theirs, especially of maynard's voice, but they aren't in any way the be-all and end-all of music that many of their fanboys think they are.

There is nothing funnier than bagging Tool when a die hard fan is in the room.

One even said to me ..

"Maynard is like a modern day Socrates" At that point I was on the ground laughing.

Nichtsicher said:
"Maynard is like a modern day Socrates" At that point I was on the ground laughing.

your friend must have been reading his plato carefully. :lol:

Nichtsicher said:
I think he got that line out of some magazine :p

Tool does require more smarts than the average band to understand. Take The Grudge on Lateralus for instance. In order to "get" the lyrics you gotta know who the fuck Saturn was in Greek mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_(mythology)

Emo pop bullshit bands don't go where Tool does.

Maynard does have his own philosophy about him. Whether or not you agree with it is another story. To call him a modern Socrates.. ok that's a fanboi lol

But seriously, give the band some credit. They aren't your average run of the mill band.

Loeben said:
Tool does require more smarts than the average band to understand. Take The Grudge on Lateralus for instance. In order to "get" the lyrics you gotta know who the fuck Saturn was in Greek mythology.

Maynard does have his own philosophy about him. Whether or not you agree with it is another story. To call him a modern Socrates.. ok that's a fanboi lol

But seriously, give the band some credit. They aren't your average run of the mill band.
I agree. And any good band that is commercially successful is bound to attract a number of bumlicks who talk bollocks about them - that isn't really Tool's fault. Even being a bit pretentious is hugely better than being "Bullet For My Anal Romance" or worse, actually buying that kind of stuff.

Loeben said:

Sure, it requires plenty of intelligence to know wtf he is on about. But you know what you realise once you've discovered it? It is pretty stupid shit anyway. Maynard is a spiritual whore, you just combines whatever he wants to - im sure greek mythology connects with crazed ramblings about the alien infiltration of earth in his head, but i don't think ive taken quite enough drugs to agree with him on that one.

Ill give them credit in that their gimmick is an interesting one. But i really do only see it as a gimmick.

Sure, it requires plenty of intelligence to know wtf he is on about.

No it doesn't, it just takes some research, any fool can do research and talk about things most other people don't know about.

But you know what you realise once you've discovered it? It is pretty stupid shit anyway. Maynard is a spiritual whore, you just combines whatever he wants to - im sure greek mythology connects with crazed ramblings about the alien infiltration of earth in his head, but i don't think ive taken quite enough drugs to agree with him on that one.

Agreed.

Ill give them credit in that their gimmick is an interesting one. But i really do only see it as a gimmick.

Agreed.

Btw, their music is excellent. Not as good as Opeth obviously, but it is excellent. I just wish they wouldn't pretend to be intellectuals or something, since the statement is only correct when you put pseudo- in front of it. And anyone who is into spiritual/supernatural stuff can't be really intelligent anyhow.

A bit harsh maybe? Sure, they're kind of pretentious in a kind of "shop around for far out things to stitch together" kind of way, but they're hardly trying to be the metal equivalent of Derrida...

:mad: how come people don't like Undertow? don't get it:rolleyes:
I mean come on!Undertow is a great album,not the best but still!so many good songs on it !
Aenima would be my favourite and I have to say that it was very difficult to pick
I've also reached to the conclusion that Lateralus is the most intelligent one :)