The definitive TOOL thread

What is your favourite Tool album?

• Total voters
Lateralus, easily. I liked 10,000 Days but you can tell the band's running out of real estate. Undertow, Aenima and Lateralus sounded nothing alike (and rightfully so, for spreading your discs apart so far), but this one lacks innovation. I still enjoyed it, though. I know the ToolSheep told me to meditate and light candles to "better enjoy it" and to "further grasp it."

Fucking morons.

kendoji said:
I've never heard Tool, but I think they blow.

And that has to be the winner of the dumbest statement of the year award. Congragulations. You are now officially an idiot.:lol:

Guess I'm the only one who likes Undertow the best. I remember blasting this album daily when I was in high school. IMO it's an amazing album & it brings back great memories.

Perhaps Aenima & Lateralus are more polished, but I prefer Undertow.

Aenima. Though only about half the songs really do much for me (46 & 2, Aenema, Hooker With A Penis, the last song & a couple others). But that is still more than any other Tool album.

Yeah, Lateralus is pretty good. But frankly i prefer the almost pop aspects of Aenima to Lateralus' overblown efforts. It just feels like it is trying so hard to be epic, and i can almost believe that it is, because some parts of the albums really are very good..
..Until my mind snaps back to attention, and i realise that it is so strangely boring that ive not been listening properly to it for most of the album.

Fine, im not sure what im talking about either. But Lateralus is just not as good as it is made out to be.

Aenima is my favourite CD although the last 2 have all been amazing...
AS for their influences, the obvious and main one is King crimson..
other notable ones include Rush, Yes & Led Zep to name a few

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Yeah, Lateralus is pretty good. But frankly i prefer the almost pop aspects of Aenima to Lateralus' overblown efforts. It just feels like it is trying so hard to be epic, and i can almost believe that it is, because some parts of the albums really are very good..
..Until my mind snaps back to attention, and i realise that it is so strangely boring that ive not been listening properly to it for most of the album.

Fine, im not sure what im talking about either. But Lateralus is just not as good as it is made out to be.

wow, very nicely said, matt. i definetly agree there. I actually enjoy all of the music on Lateralus, but comparing to their previous albums, it just seemed like 'trying to hard to be epic,' and i like the more straight forward, ass kicking tunes on U and AE. Though I've only given 10kDays two or so spins so far, it seems verrry similar to Lateralus, with little or no progression, and trying even HARDER to be epic than Lateralus :erk:
Obviously they have had a massive fan base for years, but did anyone find it weird that on previous cds and music vids the band doesn't like to be seen, especially Maynard, but on the new one, they are all in suits?; and also on ticketmaster.com or the site for the NYC venue they're playing at, they had a pic of them outside in suits, standing on a sidewalk, with green grass next to them? (reminds me of that horrid GR photoshoot for Opeth lol). they seem less dark from album to album.

Lord Byron said:
And that has to be the winner of the dumbest statement of the year award. Congragulations. You are now officially an idiot.:lol:

I was gently jibing tbqh imo, I have in fact heard Tool and I don't like them.

Congragulations to you too! :)

*Bump* (imo)

Lateralus, although 3ts is right that it's kind of flat compared to Aenima, which does kick more arse. When I'm in a Tool mood, Lateralus is best though.

In my opinion. Which sucks. A great deal.

Aenima is the obvious choice for me & im surprised that people seme to like lateralus more,pushit -itself destroys anything they ever did.