The Devin Townsend Thread

For me he ranks up there with Dan Swano.

[/B]

WHAT?? You're shitting me right? In that case I won't bother sampling mp3's. Tomorrow I'll list what left I have of my assets so that I can buy everything he's ever done. The only time I bother to mention a musician's name in the same sentence as Dan's is if the person is a GREAT musician, and then it's only to say "<name of person> sucks ass compared to Dan."

Greetings.

...then I would sound like a total ignorant if I asked "What has Dan Swanö done in the music industry except producing cds, singing for Therion's "In Remembranec" and having "Black Tears" coveres by EToS ?"

I said IF I asked... ;)

No really, can you give more infos on him, I know he's very important in the meatl industry, but I don't necessarily know why.

Metal88 and Blue Moon:

I think there is greater creativity in DT's work than there's in DW's work.

As an artist, a person seeking to create something more than an album full of songs, Townsend, in my view, is much more vibrant and energetic than Swano ever will be- though the latter dude is a musical monster himself.

I wouldn't, however, class their music together. Devin's music is difficult to describe (judgeing by his albums' Biomech, Terria and Infinity). It's a mixture of rock and metal. His songs never make sense to me except as parts of the whole. :confused:

Can anyone give a more informative view?

I don't know much about Swano too except his work on EoS and his Oddysey album. His work borders on the generic- something "oldfashioned" about his music. llamaura might say otherwise...

Greetings.

Why not ?

It was supposed to be a busy studying week, and endend up a busy hedonistic week.

And it will all start again tomorrow night. *sigh* What a horrible life.

Sorry E V I L, I'm gonna have to disagree. I find Dan's work to be equally genius as that of Devin's, just more understated. Devin just has, shall we say, a flair for the theatrical. Devin is amazing, and so is Dan, so those unfamiliar with either need to get a'buying.

Am I the only one who would kill for a Swano/Townsend tour?

Originally posted by E V I L
Can anyone give a more informative view?

Glad to. As I've said before, the 4 "cornerstones" of my musical tastes are Opeth, Dan Swano, Devin Townsend, and Frank Zappa, so I obviously hold the two artists in question in VERY high regard. Fortunately, since they both seem to be quite the "project" artists, the two are quite comperable.

(note: Devin is from right here in my hometown, I got the chance to meet him once, briefly, so I feel the need to plug a little)

Devin is a musical genius, and like most geniuses, he borders on insanity. One has to look no further than the stories of his mental breakdown during the making of the wholly remarkable Infinity to see this. He is imaginative in both his composing of music and his utilization of audio of all kinds, neither (my favourite non-Opeth album EVER) Ocean Machine: Biomech nor Terria would be the same without all of the samples and effects, all used to, as their name suggests, great effect.

Dan is a musical mastermind, and just LOVES music. He is easily the most prolific artist of the 1990's (at least of those known for the metal genre) and has released quality albums over a great range of styles, from the very soft Symphonic Prog Rock of Unicorn, to the harder Prog Rock of Nightingale, to the reasonably melodic death metal of Edge of Sanity, to the Swedish uber-DeathMetal band, Bloodbath (with the insane experimental and extreme Pan-Thy-Monium, the Odyssey mini-CD, the 70's prog-meets-death-metal goodness of his self-titled Moontower album, and a whole bunch of stuff I haven't heard yet like Route 9 and Subway Mirror all thrown in for good measure - note to self: must order those...) . To me, what makes Dan so special is his ability to maintain exceptional quality over vast quantity. Whether he puts out one record a year or 20, if the name "Swano" is in the credits it's bound to be pretty damn good, even if not quite as good as albums with the name "Devin Townsend". I think that with the exception of Zappa (another discussion altogether) I own more albums made by Dan Swano than any other artist, but Devin has produced albums (Ocean Machine, Infinity, Terria) that I hold to be of that special "higher level". (I love Nightingale to death but none of the three albums by themselves reach that. Crimson, on the other hand, is probably the best death metal album ever, should we exclude Opeth)

I agree somewhat that Dan's music tends to be slightly more generic. He possesses great skill and talent and tremendous drive derived from his sheer love of music, but Townsend, well, is a genius.

Well said.

I'm yet to really get into Dan Swano's stuff. I've heard Crimson and Moontower, and I know that's the tip of the iceberg, so I'm not yet ready to compare Devin Townsend to Dan Swano.

Devin is a musical genius, and from what I have seen and heard, a wonderful character, with a kinda similar mindset and perception as mine.

Bluemoon: I'm from southern Ontario.

Sadistik: That would be an awesome tour.

Evil: I agree that you can't really class Devin's and Dan's music together. The end result of their genius is vastly different.

I agree with a lot of what HoserHellSpawn said, but I'd also like to add a little to it.
I think Dan is amazing at building on traditional (and perhaps generic) rock and metal, and comes out with an amazing result. What makes Devin really different, in my opinion, in the dramatic and theatrical element of his music that enlarges it beyond traditional barriers. You have to experience his work, more than just listening to it.

Metal88: So, I'm not saying Devin Townsend's work is similar to Dan Swano's, but to me they're both brilliant. They play multiple instruments, produce albums, cannot be confined to one style of music, and create music that I absolutely love. They are my two favourite musicians ever.

Originally posted by Blue Moon
Greetings.

...then I would sound like a total ignorant if I asked "What has Dan Swanö done in the music industry except producing cds, singing for Therion's "In Remembranec" and having "Black Tears" coveres by EToS ?"

I said IF I asked... ;)

No really, can you give more infos on him, I know he's very important in the meatl industry, but I don't necessarily know why.
Almost forgot to answer this one...

Well, he's sung more for Therion than just one song.

For his own material, and other projects he's worked on - as I'm sure you've gathered from other posts, it's the quantity and quality that makes him a big deal.
Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Moontower solo album, Odyssey, Pan-thy-monium, Diabolical Masquerade...
There's way more, but check out some of his stuff and it all should start to make sense.

@SullenJester - Goddamnit. You just about ruined this thread with your meaningless one-liner posts. I hope that clown in your avatar eats you up and shits you out.

Kushantaiidan is wise to not compare the two since he's only heard Moontower and Crimson from Dan. I cannot compare them b/c I have only heard a tiny bit from Devin. "Stagnant" from Terria that FatherVic said is one of his best and some clips of Strapping Young Lad. If we are comparing him to Dan, I'm not so impressed with this SYL stuff. Stagnant is a great song, going for the emotional appeal, but surely doesn't make Unicorn's "At the end of the Bridge" (Dan) sound generic, in fact, I'd say just the opposite is true! Someone implied that Dan is good but Devin is a genius. I'm not gonna go back and find out who b/c SullenJesters stupid ass made has made that too much work. :) But anyhow I hear only pure genius from most of Dan's stuff. I will sample a lot more of Devin's work before I conclude anything about him.