The Downfall of Symph

The part at 9:16 in Crystallized is one of the most unique things I've heard in music, ever. It helps that I was literally walking through the snow when I first heard it, too.

Yea, Its a good song. But I dont see anything that unique about that part as it sounds almost exactly as Gentle Giant and then turns into Jethro Tull/Kansas mood.

Yea, Its a good song. But I dont see anything that unique about that part as it sounds almost exactly as Gentle Giant and then turns into Jethro Tull/Kansas mood.

Fair enough. Just replace "unique" with "really awesome," then. It helps that I love Kansas, too.

I think Symphony X lost their unique sound when they dropped the symph and took a heavier direction from The Odyssey onwards.

I wouldn't call it a downfall though. Underworld is possibly their strongest work to date.

I imagine they alienated some old fans with this approach but I am fortunate to not be in that position. I only discovered them earlier this year and all their albums are new to me.

Hay this WAS never a thread to degrade symphony x. Just to make people think for them self.
Except for “ whit out you” and “swan swong” its a brilliant album. And I’m loving every bit of it!

I think Symphony X lost their unique sound when they dropped the symph and took a heavier direction from The Odyssey onwards.

I wouldn't call it a downfall though. Underworld is possibly their strongest work to date.

I imagine they alienated some old fans with this approach but I am fortunate to not be in that position. I only discovered them earlier this year and all their albums are new to me.

Truer words have never been spoken... (Have I heard this before, here? LOL)

I agree thoroughly with your first sentence, people tend to say PL was the threshold of such change, but I'm pretty sure that SX changed dramatically with The Odyssey, as you've said. It was just, Allen and Romeo were uber-impressive on that album that blinded people from accepting that reality.

Oh and Underworld rocks. I think it is another unique album of SX, that denies comparison. I personally prefer V better, but Underworld is such a delight that it has its own unique place for me.

I wouldn't even say they've lost their unique sound. It's definitely still 100% them, just another side of the die.

Yepp, still them, and excellent the latest album is too. What I meant by unique was the combination of rock and symph was a unique sound. I considered them to be a heavy version of ELO. Now they are just all out rock like millions of other bands. Still one of the best though.

Hmmm...I wouldn't classify them as rock either. Run With the Devil, parts of To Hell and Back, and maybe In My Darkest Hour (although that's almost dark gospel-ish to me) maybe rocky, but the band is assuredly metal.

Hmmm...I wouldn't classify them as rock either. Run With the Devil, parts of To Hell and Back, and maybe In My Darkest Hour (although that's almost dark gospel-ish to me) maybe rocky, but the band is assuredly metal.

I think it's the production/engineering that is giving them the metal sound especially the last few discs...

Listened to the disc again last night and hated the way the drums sounded in the mix...

Yepp, still them, and excellent the latest album is too. What I meant by unique was the combination of rock and symph was a unique sound. I considered them to be a heavy version of ELO. Now they are just all out rock like millions of other bands. Still one of the best though.

I also ways considered them a heavy version of Kansas...