The DTS 5.0 mix

Ok, so I sat down with Watershed on the DVD again and relistened to it. I'll give you Hessian Peel, by far that is the best mix in multichannel. It was done very tasteful and everything seems in place and panned well. There are still a lot of segments though that when I'm listening, I don't feel the surrounds are being used properly. But, there are segments in each song that I found to be done nicely. I remember the first time I sat down with the DVD, I'd been listening to music all day. So, maybe I had a bit of ear fatigue.

I will give you this, the DTS track is a lot better than my initial perception. However, I still prefer the 2.0; but what I haven't done is an A/B. You're arguement regarding combining the channels and keeping (levels) and compression the same does hold a lot of water. So, when I get the time... I'll sit down and do an A/B comparison to see which one I prefer. It's hard to formulate an opinion when I haven't actually done all my homework! I'm glad you know what you're talking about, otherwise I'd probably have let the SE disc collect dust and have not relistened to it; especially when my initial perception was bad. Therefor, I owe you a 'thank you!'
Well its not like I'm trying to force it on you either, if you happen to like the stereo mix more, I'm not going to mind, but I do prefer the 5.0. :p I think part of it, is that we have different expectations of this surround mix, its alright in my book, even though I can see its short comings. Some real magic might happen however if Steven Wilson comes back for another Opeth album, now that we have this surround trend in their discography.

Wow, I pulled this out yesterday and listened to it in it's entirety. It sounds so damn good but there is a downside. After I finished it I listend to Watershed in 5.0 and it did really pale in comparison.

For those of you who don't have a 5.1 setup with good speakers it would be worth it just for the Still Life album.

Another thing I noticed is how much more I like the album than Watershed. Don't get me wrong I really like Watershed but Still Life is off the charts.

Some real magic might happen however if Steven Wilson comes back for another Opeth album, now that we have this surround trend in their discography.

Oh, I hope Steven Wilson would never come back and record any more Opeth records. Those were my three least favorite opeth albums; which is odd, considering how much I love Porcupine Tree. But, if Wilson does have masters of those three records... I'd love for him to remaster them in an MLP lossless DVD-A format. I still can't get over how nice SW's MLPs are, especially the remaster of Lightbulb Sun considering the record is 8 years old!

I can't manage to downmix it properly to 2.0. I'm guessing the separation is too high because vox come out way too loud and the guitars are muted. I like the quality, great rich bass and smooth guitar tone

i believe if you drop the center channel by around 3 db, and the rear speakers by 6db and pan correctly, with the center channel panned phantom center it makes a good stereo mix...thats how the pro's do it...i think

i'll have to re-check to numbers, but i think thats right...

bump salad.

My dvd player can do SACD and dvd audio and I am considering getting the Opeth Still Life dvd-a and Ghost Reveries dvd-a, but since I only have a 2.0 setup, I'm wondering what the result will be. I don't suppose it also has a stereo dvd-a version on there? Or if I were to get any of the Porcupine Tree dvdas, those also appear to be 5.1 which I'm not sure if it would need to be down-mixed to stereo or what. I'm pretty new to the whole technology so go easy on me. Thanks.

bump salad.

My dvd player can do SACD and dvd audio and I am considering getting the Opeth Still Life dvd-a and Ghost Reveries dvd-a, but since I only have a 2.0 setup, I'm wondering what the result will be. I don't suppose it also has a stereo dvd-a version on there? Or if I were to get any of the Porcupine Tree dvdas, those also appear to be 5.1 which I'm not sure if it would need to be down-mixed to stereo or what. I'm pretty new to the whole technology so go easy on me. Thanks.
Just for clarification, the Opeth DVD's are not DVD-A format, they are simply Dolby Digital, or DTS, so they will play in any DVD player. The difference being, DVD-A is a lossless format to reproduce the highest quality possible, DD, and DTS are both lossy formats, technically lower quality than CD, but offer extra channels. So with that said, I don't think the Opeth surround mixes will benefit you listening on a stereo system, as it will simply down mix the channels, the Porcupine Tree DVD-A's however, do offer a stereo version in high resolution PCM, 24bit 48khz, but even so, its hardly different than CD quality without the surround channels. I'd just recommend getting some surround speakers if you really want to check out DVD-A format.

Thanks for the reply. I am happy with my 2.0 setup. I have a pair of Ascend Sierras and they are amazing. I had considered getting larger setup, but when I got the R/L, I was so satisfied that I have decided to stick with this set up. Again, thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, the same would go for one listening to a DVD-audio if they were listening on headphones, right? Essentially, headphones are 2.0 like my set up.

Just to clarify, the same would go for one listening to a DVD-audio if they were listening on headphones, right? Essentially, headphones are 2.0 like my set up.
Yep, both are stereo, so it's probably best to just listen to the standard CD mix. :)

Hehey,

*rambling of how awesome you people here in the Opeth forum are and how awesome the band is*, the thing is I have started this thread in the Dark Tranquillity area and I would like you all to contribute your positive energy to it and say how great that would be and how wonderful Opeth's releases are. Those who do not think they were great, do not post there :).

For those who doubt the sense of that thread, some e-mailing with DT's guitar player about a year ago has shown me that some pushing in the right direction by the fans would possibly make them at least consider the option.

Matse