The Scooped Guitars Thread

Of course it works with many bands. depending the material and of course the hi mid/treble that you will get from the bass guitar.
I think it's always better to record with many mids and then scoop them if it sounds better.If the amp doesn't have mids, it might sound hollow.But if it has and you scoop them latter, then probably it's better

I may be the only one of this opinion but, typically I try to get a balanced guitar tone straight into my DAW regardless of if I am going for a scooped sound or a middy sound. I would only truly "scoop" the sound as I mixed with EQ. I don't know if this is the best way but it allows me more choices while mixing.

A little bit pulled back from noon on the mid knob on most amps usually works for me. Of course I'm a peavey player and those have no shortage of mids.

Do you guys find it more effective to have less mids on the amp or to eq it out in mixing?

I tend to overcompensate with mids (about 7 - 7.5 on 5150) and then take a good deal of 500-800 out with a super wide Q, then a gentle boost around 1.2khz ish to compensate for some of the "power" lost. I find that if you put too much into the amp then its very easy to take away from that cloudy mid-mid area. If you are scooping the amp and you find the guitars have no power in the mix, then can be more ugly to add it in, I cannot think of any scenario where boosting anything from 400-800 sounds good aside from thin overheads.

Unless you have an amp that sounds great scooped (plexi style marshalls or Soldano) but then thats more of a lead thing, where you can dime the presence to give it power over rhythm guitars.

Do you guys find it more effective to have less mids on the amp or to eq it out in mixing?

When you boost mids before the signal goes into your cab, you're changing the color of distortion and the sound itself chances, so it's a bit different thing.

Less mids from the amp and you might not have to cut the 500-600hz, but the sound might not be what you wish.

Adding mid from the amp and it's too honky, but the feel and shape is great, so then removing the 500-600hz would be kickass. Hope you understand something out of this, im writing from work and in a hurry :D