What would you do if you were me...

Uros

Sonic Incision
Jul 29, 2007
between sine waves
...and the band you are mixing want certain colours. Guitarist like this guitar tone, drummer likes this kick and that snare sound. You might say 'that's usual, everyone wants to sound the certain way',
Sure, I agree. It's just happens that those colours tend to be:
guitar sound is scooped, bassy guitar; snare which tone is all beef (around 150-170hz approximately), and the kick is around 120-150hz (there's just no room for bass guitar!). To spice this shit up, they 'don't like clicky kicks'. Oh yeah, and they use growl too. It's all crammed like in bass-low midrange region.

I did one pre-mix, where I tried to maintain some balance, so that you can hear everything, and I did it decent. They don't like it at all. It's also worth noting that recorded guitars are muddy, so when you add that to their preferred scooped sound, it's next to impossible to make guitars prominent in the mix...

Sure, I try not to be preset guy, I go for whatever songs need. But see, they are not black metal dishwashwer kind of band. They play brutal tech death metal, so it should be relatively clean production imo, not sterile, nor muddy.
But, there's just no space to carve out for all the instruments, when everything happens to be in the same region.

I was being thought about balance, that you should have one thing to counter the other. That this should be small, so that thing next to it would sound big. But, when you jump into something like this, it's pretty hard to wrap your head around it.

What would you do? Is it possible at all to have beefy snare (there are lots of blasts and fast 32th kicks), beefy kick, bassy&scooped guitars, and growls all over it, all at the same time?

They did. Problem is, that none of it is in full so to speak. For ex. they like guitars from this record, drums form that record (they even gave me some reference songs where they like just the snare/kick). I explained them that every mix decision has an influence on many elements of the mix, and they say 'yeah, we understand that', but in the end we are still at the beginning. Dunno, I'll let them have it their way, and we'll see.

I am still curious though, if someone could link me to some song/album that fits the description? (I know that there are slim chances for that, but you can't lose of you ask).

1. As suggested above, do one song, or a section of one, with the instruments soloed and making each one sound like what they want.

2. Play it back with everything on and ask them if that really sounds as good as they were thinking it would.

3. Tell them to shut their holes and let you do the job they're paying you to do.

Pick a band that is in the same genre and whose mix you like and try to emulate it. Do your best and make it sound good. That is all you can really endeavor to do.

luismars said:
Sometimes is usefull to have references, but you have to use their "colours" as suggestions not as rules. They're focusing on their part and forget about the rest, there's no way that could sound good.

+1

Check out Superior Enlightenment and Deathspell Omega's Paracletus for Band exemple that's all I can give you for now, I would probably go more for Superior for brutality and production though!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-fjj9hNiEA&feature=related[/ame] (Just so you know the band, Jewtube quality sucks)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-xzmYBaUI&feature=related[/ame]
(that deathspell song contains all the facettes of their sound (clean,blast,depress) so it can help if the band you are recording has clean part or semi fast part.

Just because you have a bunch yummy ingredients by themselves doesn't mean it'll taste good if it's all mixed together lol. I certainly know little-to-nothing about music production (as anyone can find out in the "Rate My Mix" section), but I know that if I take cake frosting, Dr. Pepper, A1 Steak Sauce, Jagermeister, Gummi Bears, and Ice cream, and mix it all together, I'm probably not going to be happy and neither will my toilet.

Leave it to the chef.

Tell them what you've just written us in a simpler way. Something like this would work: if I do what you ask for, it's going to sound like shit.

If necessary, add this line: Let me do my job and shut the fuck up.

Tell them what you've just written us in a simpler way. Something like this would work: if I do what you ask for, it's going to sound like shit.

If necessary, add this line: Let me do my job and shut the fuck up.

One thing to note is this line "I did one pre-mix, where I tried to maintain some balance, so that you can hear everything, and I did it decent. They don't like it at all"

Which means that apparently what the OP think sounds good is not what the band likes.

Dunno what to do about it, but I think you just have to suck it up and mix it like they want.
If they love it then pat yourself on the back if they hate it then tell them THIS is what they requested.

It's a difficult situation. As we know, the band usually has no idea how mixing works and their willings are sometimes just impossible to achieve.

I was just stating that they can provide a guide/reference but in the end they aren't mixing the stuff. We are not slaves of the band conceptions. Since they are the ones who choose you, it's supposed that they like the sound you can achieve.

Some people just said the possible solution: do what they want and let them judge by themselves. If they still like it, it's up to you to continue with the project or not.

Just because you have a bunch yummy ingredients by themselves doesn't mean it'll taste good if it's all mixed together lol. I certainly know little-to-nothing about music production (as anyone can find out in the "Rate My Mix" section), but I know that if I take cake frosting, Dr. Pepper, A1 Steak Sauce, Jagermeister, Gummi Bears, and Ice cream, and mix it all together, I'm probably not going to be happy and neither will my toilet.

Leave it to the chef.

:lol:
Fucking spot on, dude!:headbang: