Client refuses to pay, what would you do?

C-Martin

Mar 8, 2009
Montreal
www.soundclick.com
I have a client that decided my mixes weren't good enough and decided to cancel the project and not pay me when we are at the end of it all. The story is way more complicated than that but that's the short and dirty version. I had worked with them before, they payed, this time they say it's not good enough and decided not to pay after i had already worked on all of 8 songs. We're not talking about a lot of money, it was a small re-mix job of an album they already had. The money doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they waited til the very end, when the whole thing was finished, to tell me that they didn't like it and then decide to cancel the whole thing and not pay me. They had plenty of occasions to say they didn't like the work. I would send them mp3s and they would tell me that it sounded great, i still have all the emails. Now they refuse to pay because they say they are unsatisfied with the product, saying it's not the sound they're looking for and that they don't think i'm capable of doing what they want.

What would you do in a situation like this? First they say they it sounds great, then at the end of the project, when everything is nearing completion and all that's left is mastering, they decide it's not good and refuse to pay you. Funny thing is, they have been using the mixes i made to promote their band instead of the original ones. WTF

collect up front or at least get a deposit.
don't send anything out of your studio before collecting.
make all the above perfectly clear with the client BEFORE working.

if they are using your mixes, get proof and take them to court, but please, please, please make sure you have undeniable proof that they ripped you off and caused damage. not sure how it works in canada, but eh.

Don't be stupid next time and have them pay up front. Bands are filled with some of the most grimy, slimy, pathetic cheapskates you'll ever encounter on this planet.

Or how about this, mix all this shit better, put it on bandcamp for $5 and post the link to their facebook and everywhere else people that dig them are going to want to buy it. maybe you'll make some cash, but at least you'll get them pissed.

collect up front or at least get a deposit.
don't send anything out of your studio before collecting.
make all the above perfectly clear with the client BEFORE working.

Exactly. It seizes to amaze me that people in this day and age still don't do that. I even do that with people I've worked with regularly and nobody ever complains.

I know, i know.. I normally do that, and never had problems until now. I know i basically called for it by not having them pay the usual 50% up front and etc.. The thing is, i know these guys personally (or at least i thought i did) and they've always been cool and i figured i could trust them since it was a small amount of money and we're all "friends". I was too trusting and now i realize that you can't even trust the people you know when it comes to money.

Called a few people and I found out that they've recently got big headed and they also did the same to one of my friends who's been helping them book shows since they started. They we're getting all demanding and shit and he can't provide all the things they demanded and it ended up in a huge fight. I guess because they've started getting a little attention by local labels they've just turned into pricks.

They sent me a message earlier saying they'd pay me 1/3 of the price for the "trouble" and that they want the PT sessions. I laughed and said they either pay in full and get the product they hired me for or they get nothing. I just can't believe they're trying to cheap out on me and on such a small amount. They also apparently hired another engineer to mix 3 other songs in the mean time and payed him slightly higher than what i asked them. I gave em a small discount to be nice and this is how they repay me, hiring some other dude and paying him more than me while i work unpayed. Oh well, this ain't happening again, i've learned my lesson, and they are definitely going on my black list.

I am thinking about contacting all those sites they posted the mixes on and having them shutdown for using material that does not belong to them. Our agreement clearly stated that all material belongs to me until the final payment has cleared. I guess that would technically mean i could sell their album and i could make my money back that way, though i'm more tempted to just give it away for free so that they lose all sales on that album.

You guys signed a contract, right? So if the band decide to cancel the project they lose the not refundable 50% deposit previously paid. They get the raw tracks or not (depends on what is on the paper) and that's it. If there's a contract and no deposit, they gotta respect what they signed or you can take 'em to the court. Period.

Also if they really think you're not capable to do what they want, why they asked you once more to work on their album? Why they waited the end of your work? Why they use your mixes to their promo? Crappy fucking guys...

I know, i know.. I normally do that, and never had problems until now. I know i basically called for it by not having them pay the usual 50% up front and etc.. The thing is, i know these guys personally (or at least i thought i did) and they've always been cool and i figured i could trust them since it was a small amount of money and we're all "friends". I was too trusting and now i realize that you can't even trust the people you know when it comes to money.

That was your mistake :) I'm not a pro myself and I already discovered how different and unrelated friendship and reliability are. It is just amazing how people think they can use your work time as if it was nothing and call it quit.

I would consider court, but I would send them one last e-mail and tell them your plans.

I agreed to the project, reduced my rates and worked way beyond what most other clients would get for the same money.
You backed out of the agreement, and looking for some of the materials I produced as a result of the agreement.

Only two outcomes:
You pay me, in full, and I will deliver everything agreed.
You don't pay me and I will recover the money via court - which looks bad on everyone.

Same thing happened to me...the problem was that the band stop talking to me before they received the final product...they decided to concentrate the efforts on a new album instead of an EP. They were ready to pay, after that the singer found some problems that I fixed, after that he didn't have time to give me the final opinions and after that he diseppeared...same thing for the drummer that was also a friend. Moreover They cancelled me on facebook....maybe because I told the story to every fuckin person I know to let them know what a bunch of losers they are.

If you have a contract - pursue your payment as per the contract terms. Like someone already said, just the threat of litigation might be enough to collect your payment if you have a contract (but might not be worth the expense).

If you don't have a contract - chalk it up as a learning experience, keep everything to yourself (all of the masters, etc.) and move on. Be professional about it. These guys aren't going to be able to pull this kind of thing for long without it coming back around.

We all go through something like this at some point. This is why I have a strict policy that I don't make exceptions to:
1. Non-refundable deposit at time of booking.
2. 50% down payment on day one of project.
3. Remaining balance on last day of project OR before any materials are released from the studio.

I added a term in my booking contract saying that client perfectly knows and agrees the abilities of the studio so he cannot say that he expected something else I'm not able to do.

I am thinking about contacting all those sites they posted the mixes on and having them shutdown for using material that does not belong to them

Woah, woah, woah.

They already posted the mixes online?

What the fuck are you waiting for man? Send a fucking bus of lawyers their way!