this band didnt pay me

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
when i do a session ill have the band pay half the first day of tracking and half the last day of tracking. They payed the first day but not the last day. they said that they would come pick up a cd and bring the money than.

i typically like to send them preview mixes to make sure they like it, but i dont want to send them anything that they could keep without paying me.

is there a software that either shoots random static(kinda like a watermark on a picture) or is there a way to email the song without allowing them to download it?

Just don't give them anything. Trust me on this (I've had lots of these types of experiences over the course of my career so far).

If you give the band anything before being paid, it takes away their motivation/urgency to come pick up their CD and pay you. Just be patient and you will most likely have an easier time being paid.

My policy these days is to never release any materials without full payment. Almost EVERY time I have made an exception to this, it has made it more difficult to get paid.

Beeper, for sure.

I pick and choose whom to trust in this regard. If I have a prior rapport with a band, and they've proven themselves trustworthy I'll let stuff go without watermarks, if it helps them move their schedule along, trusting that they will get the payment over as soon as possible. Once that trust is broken, then we devolve back to watermarking.

Beeper, for sure.

I pick and choose whom to trust in this regard. If I have a prior rapport with a band, and they've proven themselves trustworthy I'll let stuff go without watermarks, if it helps them move their schedule along, trusting that they will get the payment over as soon as possible. Once that trust is broken, then we devolve back to watermarking.

yeeeeep

paid in full on the first day???
holy shit you should try working for a label.
they take FOREVER to pay you. (bout 3 months normally)

I generally just don't give em the file until I'm paid. Most bands have been pretty good about paying me but I had one who I had to keep asking, my rent was overdue and everything as a result of them being late. I'm generally pretty laid back and easygoing with money but once that happened I tightened up and am far more strict about these things. I've also found bands that are hard to deal with regarding getting paid are the same who keep hassling you for mixes

thanks guys i think im going to go the beeper and soundclick route, so theres no way the can take they beeps out but help me with their mixes

The beeper is a good Idea but I would use a sample or something, like have the whole mix come down and myself saying "Test Mix" or "Insert Studio Name" in a few places..

-P

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING, untill the pay you just tell them im done with this project untill you pay the rest. / give them liek a 30 second sample of something really awesome you did on the project to get them to want to hear the rest.

no more than that.

Don't give them ANYTHING!

Shit like this is why I get paid in full on the first day of recording. Unless it's a band I know and can trust to pay me.

damn, i wish i could get bands to pay me in full at the beginning of a project

last couple deals i've done, i've had them pay me 1/2 up front, 1/2 upon completion, with no material leaving the studio inbetween

i figure there's enough horror stories of shitty engineers and mixes out there that it's a good compromise to not ask for the full amount up front...i know i'd be reluctant to do so if i was paying someone to record/mix my music