A question of ethics...

Tommy Gun

...might be drunk.
May 31, 2008
RVA-USA
I find myself in an ethical dilemma.

A long time friend and former bandmate of mine joined a band on lead guitar, and shortly thereafter, came to me and asked me to produce their EP. I checked them out and agreed to take the job. They had talent, so the decision was easy. The band didn't have a big budget, but since my buddy was involved I gave them half my rates. He's like a brother to me. They had to pay in increments over time, and it has taken a while to get things done. We did the drum tracking in October of '09 and just tracked the vocals in October of this year. The drummer and the other guitarist actually made the choice to disband about 6 months ago, out of nowhere it seems, but they want the recording finished so they have something to show for the work. I'm happy to finish it as well, so that I have a decent example of my production skills.

Here's where it gets tricky. My friend was very upset when the band broke up. He felt like they gave up on a good thing for small bullshit reasons. He hasn't spoken to them at all. While discussing the recording this evening with the drummer, he told me that, to finish the EP, the remaining cost has to be spilt 3 ways instead of 4, as they cannot get in touch with my friend. He's out of work right now anyway and has his own problems. The drummer continued by saying that because of this, he wants me to withhold any/all copies of the finished recording from my friend. Keep in mind, he said this without talking to his other ex-bandmates, so that could change more or less.

Here's the factors in my head. My friend is the reason they're paying half my normal rate. He also did pay for some of the recording, just not all. The drummer, however was the figure head of the band, who stayed in touch the most and made more of the crucial decisions in regards to the recording.

My question is:
What would you do?

get all of them fucking TOGETHER just for this one thing and work it out. or make those other dudes pay full price for what they want.

+1 and since your friend probably won't get anything out of it (since they've disbanded) it probably isn't fair making him pay

That would be ideal, but when they disbanded, the drummer moved halfway across the country.

Skype is your friend :) Since you can obviously get in touch with your friend, inform it would be in his best interest to return their calls or at least participate in a conversation about the existing recordings. Get them together, see if it can be hashed out.

As for the splitting of the costs to finalize the work left or the unpaid work already completed, and I'll make the assumption that what is owed is to you? Do you trust your friend to pay you when he gets a job? If so - split it four ways, have the three band members still together pay their part and get a singed IOU from your friend for the forth portion.

Perhaps I'm missing some detail, but it seems something could be worked out with a little communications even if you have to act as an intermediary between the drummers crew and your friend.

Tell it to them straight....via email.

It's easier to tell people stuff you know they don't want to hear that way

I had an editing sessions with the other guitar player today. His does not agree with the drummer on this. My buddy will get his copy. What I failed to mention, to get unbiased advice, is that the drummer is a gigantic asshole and a band-power-monger. Basically, he's the kind of guy who breaks up bands, because he's a dick AND hasn't a clue about making the decisions he puts himself in charge of making.

Psonally I'd tell them to get in touch with your. Buddy and tell the drummer to do one, why give up on a good thing going because of one arrogant power hungry dude,?