Kicking a band out peacefully

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, i know there was a thread not to long ago about refusing to work with a band but I just wanted to start a new one so be able to see the responses quickly

So i started working on this band's 6 song EP last month and I have a feeling that things are going to get worse before they get any better.

They are a bunch of high school kids that claim that they are the real deal and had a budget of close to $1000 (I don't ever make that much)
First red flag was happened when a few days before the first session I got an email from one of their parents asking to please explain the entire process of "what my son is paying for and what he's getting out of it"

We've had 4 scheduled sessions 2 of which they have late cancelled on me. We've done drums and like two song on bass. Then they became really flaky. We scheduled a full day session which they late cancelled on me the night before because one of them got caught with cigarettes by his parents and wasn't allowed to be in the band anymore. :lol: I let that one go cause it was the first time

Last week they were scheduled for another full day and the bass player confirmed with me the night before. Then at 4am that day I got a text saying : "can't make it, something came up, so sorry" I told him they owed me for a late cancellation and the bass player tells me: "I can't afford to pay you all of it, I'll pay you half and use the other half of it to record the rest of my parts", cause according to him he was coming here to bang it all out in an hour tops :lol: (mind you he had confirmed they were doing a full day the night before)

I haven't been in touch with them since I responded he needed to pay me the entire cancellation fee before they can come back to keep recording. But honestly I just don't feel like dealing with them anymore. Any suggestions on how to kick them the fuck out? And should I give them their stems? or should I bounce the project as is and give them that? Because the drums are already edited (work I usually don't charge for) or I shouldn't give them jack shit.

I would say to give them what they've paid for so far and tell them to give what you give them to another studio, to finish up whatever they're doing.

If you need an excuse, say that you're pretty busy right now and can't afford anymore last minute cancellations, even if they are "serious" a second time around.

They aren't serious.
A serious band doesn't cancel that much.

What he said ^^

They are just wasting your time.
Tell them to come back when they are prepared and can actually make the dates.

Simple. If they owe you, you don't give them anything until they pay up. I honestly would have in a contract that if they cancel on you they owe 25% of that days pay or $25-50 per instance, whichever is more.

When it's in the contract then you can make it known that they owe you for all of that before receiving anything. You have to protect yourself.

I know this does not help now but, deposit, deposit,deposit. Then when a band cancels they lose their deposit money. I have not had one band cancel since i started taking a deposit a few years back. Plus people will take your studio/work more serious.

Like someone said above, if your not stoked and don't feel the hassle is worth your time or good for your portfolio, then i would just give them all the work they have done up till now, and just say you had another band book dates and paid in advance. The thing that sucks about that though, is the band may bad mouth you because of this, and that is never good. You might have to bite the bullet and just finish it up to play it safe.

I think in time you will start to get a feel for people and know what sessions/bands to take on, and what ones to pass on. Any time a parent has contacted me, 9 out of 10 times i just passed on taking the work. Not worth the hassle to me. Also if people get real weird and start demanding stuff or are really clueless and not open minded, then i pass on those as well. Like i said you start to get a feel of talking to people through email and phone and what type of band/people they are.

Good luck!

Anyone that sends a text to cancel at 4am can fuck right off.

Tell them that you can't continue working with them due to their lack of professionalism. Giving them the parts you've done may not be a great idea, they might decide to record shit all over it and your name might be related to it (even if it's just drums). uuugh.

Keep the money, can the project, call their parents FIRST and explain the situation, then notify them that it's over.

I know this does not help now but, deposit, deposit,deposit. Then when a band cancels they lose their deposit money. I have not had one band cancel since i started taking a deposit a few years back. Plus people will take your studio/work more serious.

whoever suggested 25% deposit or cancellation fee. NO WAY! I work on either 40% or 50% deposit.

Haven't had any work canceled and if someone did they would still owe me for the day. Maybe a bit less If I'm feeling nice. I can't have a band cancel on me when I have probably declined work for a venue doing live sound and would have made a shitload more money for the day. I prefer doing studio work so I always book my clients with priority. If I'm being kind to them, the least they could do is pay me $100 bucks for the day.

"I'm sorry, but with all the cancellations, trouble paying up and overall problems with this session, I've lost a fair bit of money and time which is something I can't keep doing. I suggest you reschedule the project so that you are absolutely certain you can make it to the scheduled dates and have the whole sum available at once, or choose another studio. I will gladly hand out the tracks you have paid for so far, but I have other projects waiting and can't work on your project any further due to all the delays. Thanks, and good luck with the EP."

"I'm sorry, but with all the cancellations, trouble paying up and overall problems with this session, I've lost a fair bit of money and time which is something I can't keep doing. I suggest you reschedule the project so that you are absolutely certain you can make it to the scheduled dates and have the whole sum available at once, or choose another studio. I will gladly hand out the tracks you have paid for so far, but I have other projects waiting and can't work on your project any further due to all the delays. Thanks, and good luck with the EP."

Is that your template 'fuck off' email? :lol:

If the parents are that involved in their lives that they send emails asking what they're going to get out of it and stop them being in the band for smoking then just talk to the parents. The kids are clearly not responsible.

That whole scenario is absolutely hilarious. Probably because of how ridiculous it is. Personally, I would have had to have a word with the parents directly if they were that present in the band. You know how some schools make the parents sign a form stating that they are comfortable with their children being recorded and exhibited? that should have been in a contract from the start, and individually signed for every member younger than 18. In telling them to fuck off, I'd definitely send a written memo, hand signed, with something along the lines of:

"Hello, parents of (band member's name) and (band member), This is a formal request of discontinuation of my services, as the amount of setbacks and lack of notification thereof have not been satisfactorily dealt with, and have forced me to make a decision to cease any and all further work for the following reasons. (Here I'd give them a bulleted list) {then close out with} In the future, the amount of professionalism I observed was of a caliber of which I would not recommend returning to a studio. The deposit you have paid will not be returned, as that was clearly outlined in the recording contract, but beyond that, the original master "stem" tracks will be returned to you. Best wishes in regard of your EP, (your name here) (Your studio here).

Something like that anyway, I haven't brushed up on my legal form in a few months.

I'd contact parents and try and explain that this is your job and if you don't get your money then you have a hard time paying your bills. Parents will understand that at least, kids don't. You might get a parent that wants to teach their kids a lesson in responsibility and you end up getting paid for the cancellations.

I deal with kids like this all the time... seriously, just about every time. fucking drives me nuts. but i'm still a "beginner" and I take what work I can get (for the most part) so i understand completely that i put myself in these situations. I go into it expecting these kids to act irresponsibly and be unreliable at times, so try to handle everything with the utmost patience and understanding (which sounds like you have so far). the most important thing i can suggest is that you have a written contract or an email conversation with the band clearly stating every aspect of your policy, what's expected of them, and so on. Basically, say everything in an email and make sure they agree to the terms and whatnot. Emails are as reliable as a contract in most cases. Document everything in case there is an issue of course. I would tell them (based on what would have been previously stated before beginning the production process) that they need to pay for the time, get committed, and finish the project or their time and money has been completely wasted.

Hey guys, i know there was a thread not to long ago about refusing to work with a band but I just wanted to start a new one so be able to see the responses quickly

So i started working on this band's 6 song EP last month and I have a feeling that things are going to get worse before they get any better.

They are a bunch of high school kids that claim that they are the real deal and had a budget of close to $1000 (I don't ever make that much)
First red flag was happened when a few days before the first session I got an email from one of their parents asking to please explain the entire process of "what my son is paying for and what he's getting out of it"

We've had 4 scheduled sessions 2 of which they have late cancelled on me. We've done drums and like two song on bass. Then they became really flaky. We scheduled a full day session which they late cancelled on me the night before because one of them got caught with cigarettes by his parents and wasn't allowed to be in the band anymore. :lol: I let that one go cause it was the first time

Last week they were scheduled for another full day and the bass player confirmed with me the night before. Then at 4am that day I got a text saying : "can't make it, something came up, so sorry" I told him they owed me for a late cancellation and the bass player tells me: "I can't afford to pay you all of it, I'll pay you half and use the other half of it to record the rest of my parts", cause according to him he was coming here to bang it all out in an hour tops :lol: (mind you he had confirmed they were doing a full day the night before)

I haven't been in touch with them since I responded he needed to pay me the entire cancellation fee before they can come back to keep recording. But honestly I just don't feel like dealing with them anymore. Any suggestions on how to kick them the fuck out? And should I give them their stems? or should I bounce the project as is and give them that? Because the drums are already edited (work I usually don't charge for) or I shouldn't give them jack shit.

YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE CONTRACTS IN PLACE!!!!!!

Deal with the parents, no point in dealing with the kids. x

fuck them i hate cancellations and i think that a contract is the best solution to take you seriously and pay the money