What happens if client has a plug & AE doesn't?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
I'm just very curious to know what the course of action is if the client uses a plug (may it be fx or -less likely to replace- some virtual instr) and the mixing enginner (say, one in this forum one would b working with, long-distance) does not happen to have it? :guh:

Send ''unprocessed'' bounce (in the case of an instrument)?
Work 'together' via PM?
The AE could eventually buy the plug?
Replace it with sum similar?

For collabs or mixing jobs I have them send me both the midi and printed track, maybe I could do it better or maybe its fine as is but it's nice to have options.

Same with everything else, guitar di or printed pod or reamp. Same goes for bass.
Drums I would want the live raw takes and printed processed ones or midi and printed drums.

It's always better to delete things you dont need versus trying to remake something from scratch (especially when you didn't make it in the first place)

Edit: yes this can be very time consuming but it's all about the final product and to me that's worth the extra time

The thing is most virtual instruments (or keyboard multis -I forgot to mention those) already come heavily processed-
So unlike DIs or midi drums, I would think is not as easy to send a 'dry' track of them? (for example, some synth or VSTi strings)

Sorry, but 'print it' as in a pdf/Sibelius kind of score?

The thing is most virtual instruments (or keyboard multis -I forgot to mention those) already come heavily processed-
So unlike DIs or midi drums, I would think is not as easy to send a 'dry' track of them? (for example, some synth or VSTi strings)

Dry track = as it comes, no effects added.
Possibly a 'printed processed' one which is just all the effects they've used bounced into a wav.

eg. they send you the DI's of a guitar, as well as the .wav result of their guitar chain, whatever that may be.

Dry track = as it comes, no effects added.
Possibly a 'printed processed' one which is just all the effects they've used bounced into a wav.

So, what if something's clipping, or some freq range is problematic or just doesn't sit well into the mix?

Have them do it again. If it's a DI that's too hot, no good.

Or if it's tracked well, tell them to bring the faders down and send you another track.

If it's an EQ thing, get the un-EQ'd performance and do it yourself.

No "print" as in render the processed track. You'd "print" tracks to tape hence the term.

Just get their processed version and then whatever dry track incase you just can't get theirs to work at all as the guys said.