Amorphis- Silent Waters reviews

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Just thought I would share a few reviews of Amorphis's most recent disc, "Silent Waters," for those that aren't that familar with them. I'm biased so perhaps others will convince you to give them a listen.

Amorphis - Silent Waters [featured album]
(Nuclear Blast) Total time: 47:13​
One year ago, there was an “Eclipse” of the sun in the land of the thousand lakes. This eclipse probably triggered the internal emotions and feelings of some guys up there to begin an esoteric search for inspiration, following their own paths. The scenery is once again the same, a landscape taken from their beautiful homeland, having as main theme the most valuable element…water.​
Coherences may come to mind when the first notes of “Silent Waters” slip into your ears…​
This time the Finnish death metal band has chosen to make a journey back to time, copying themselves, however at the same time moving their personal sound one step further as been presented in their latest album “Eclipse”. “Silent Waters” could be regarded as the physical continuation of their previous attempt but many fans may recognize elements taken from their masterpiece “Tales From The Thousand Lakes”, as also “Tounela” or “Elegy” albums. Especially in “Weaving The Incantation” and “The Servant” tracks, the band reminds us their earlier days, playing a mix of pure melodic death metal comprised to the soundscapes reached in their latest albums. The entire release reaches high levels of quality regarding the sound. As far as the lyrics are concerned, “Silent Waters” is thematically based on an episode from Finland's national epic, the Kalevala.​
The production is very good leaving Esa Holopainen’s and Tomi Koivusaari’s guitars threshing, playing various melodies. Tomi Joutsen’s deep voice fits very well once again to the compositions giving another dimension to the album. Personally I was a fan of Pasi Koskinen (1996-2004), although I have to admit that this time I got impressed by Tomi. He is surely one level higher than “Eclipse” here, reaching an almost astonishing performance.​
Although in the beginning it may sound a bit heavy, the album adopts a more atmospheric-calm sound as tracks go on. Here lies my only objection, because In the beginning you get the impression that AMORPHIS returned to the roots, as far as the sound is concerned. Also it has to be mentioned, that in “Silent Waters” there is extensive use of keyboards and more specifically piano, providing a more melodic tune to the album.​
It is difficult to choose favorite songs from this one. Everything here has something to offer. Inspired melodic solos exist in every track, in the band’s unique way regarding performance and arrangement. “Silent Waters” has a holistic attitude and belongs to the category of those albums whose greatness is revealed by listening to it track by track.​
AMORPHIS’ 8th album will soon reach the stores in 31st of August 2007. Taking into consideration their musical achievements so far, the Finnish leaders issued an album worthy of their name and value as a band. An album probably better than “Eclipse”, with the potential to haunt your CD player for weeks…Irresistible…​
Reviewer: Michalis Psyllakis

Rating:
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

Dec. 2, 2007 @ 7:32 pm | by roycifer
User rating: (avg: 4)
Finnish’s AMORPHIS have produced their finest album since 1996’s excellent Elegy with their latest album, Silent Waters. Similar to last year’s delightful Eclipse, Silent Waters is a solid collection of heavy rock/metal tunes awash with effective and lasting melodies. AMORPHIS pull no surprises in adopting an episode from Finland’s national epic, the Kalevala, as the theme for Silent Waters, though musically, the songs are less folksy, more straight ahead rock, and retain none of the psychedelics they experimented with on albums past. The addition of singer, Tomi Joutsen (SINISTHRA), who replaced former vocalist, Pasi Koskinen, on Eclipse, brings about an added versatility in the vocal department. His delivery is far beefier, and he can sing clean or growl with the best. Musically, AMORPHIS remain very simple in their songwriting approach (as they’ve been for the past 10 years). Basic verse-chorus-verse can be pretty un-exciting, but AMORPHIS succeed in composing beautiful and powerful melodies through distorted and acoustic guitars, keyboard accompaniments, and vocal parts. Since the band’s songwriting isn’t as adventurous as it once was, Joutsen’s vocal versatility becomes a key proponent of AMORPHIS’s music. And with Silent Waters, Joutsen and AMORPHIS truly deliver an album that validates a band’s continued existence nearly two decades after their formation. (Nuclear Blast Records)

About.com Rating
fourhalf.gif

By Chad Bowar, About.com

Amorphis - Silent Waters
Nuclear Blast Records

Heavy Metal Ads Heavy Metal Concerts Music Review Symphonic Metal Metal Gear Solid Metal Buildings

Just a year after releasing Eclipse, their first album with new vocalist Tomi Joutsen, Amorphis returns with a new release.
The Finnish band seemed re-energized with Joutsen, and that energy continues with Silent Waters. The songwriting is even better on this album, combining the intensity of death metal, the complexity of progressive metal and the darkness of gothic metal. The songs are really catchy and memorable with great melodies and musicianship. It's also an album with a lot of variety. There are songs that are very mainstream and accessible, and others that are more extreme and intense. A range of emotions are portrayed in the atmosphere of the songs, from somber melancholy ballads to emotional mid-tempo songs to angry and intense songs and passages. The vocals are mostly melodic with a few death metal style growls, which add even more diversity to the album. Overall, Silent Waters is even better than last year's effort, which was a 4 star release.

Sea of Tranquility:

Chances are, if you loved Amophis' last release Eclipse, then you will have similar feelings towards their latest Silent Waters, which picks up exactly where that one left off. Eclipse made it to many Best Of 2006 lists here at SoT, and Silent Waters is bound to do the same. Label their music what you will, the Finnish legends throw plenty of melodic death metal, prog, gothic metal, psychedelia, and power metal at the listener, and do it convincingly. Tomi Joutsen is also coming into his own as the 'voice' of Amorphis. If his performance on Eclipse didn't totally sell you on that, then give him a try here.​
As the last few albums have really shown, this band really knows how to write some catchy melodies and house them within progressive metal arrangements. "Weaving the Incantation" and "A Servant" contain addicting hooks, driven home by Tomi's great clean vocals and awesome growls, and the hard rocking "Towards and Against" is simply marvelous and memorable, complete with layered guitar work from Tomi Koivusaari & Esa Holopainen, as well as Santeri Kallio's symphonic keyboard textures. Similar methods bring about more winners on the title track as well as the gorgeous "I Of Crimson Blood", the latter featuring Kallio's best keyboard playing on the album. The mournful "Her Alone" is a passionate gothic tinged number containing an emotional vocal from Joutsen, while the folky "Enigma" breaks up the album a bit and offers up melodic choir styled vocals, acoustic guitars, mandolins, and heaping amounts of keyboards (Korpiklaani anyone?). "Shamen" again brings some folk elements to the fore, but mixes it with crushing progressive metal riffs, majestic harmony guitar lines, bubbling synths, and soaring vocals. Death metal growls return on "The White Swan", a truly heavy yet breathtaking number that sees Tomi Joutsen again showing off all his vocal personalities. The album ends on a poignant note with "Black River", a sorrowful yet melodic number steeped in piano, organ, wah-wah guitars, and powerful rhythms.​
Silent Waters is simply a wonderful release from Amorphis. Not every band can combine lush melodies with extreme metal ferocity and prog rock sophistication & experimentalism like these lads from Finland have been able to do for many years. Toss in a charming cover painting from Travis Smith, and you have a new release that's going to be hard to pass up if you are a loyal metal fan.​
Track Listing
01. Weaving The Incantation​
02. A Servant​
03. Silent Waters​
04. Towards And Against​
05. I Of Crimson Blood​
06. Her Alone​
07. Enigma​
08. Shaman​
09. The White Swan​
10. Black River​
11. Sign (bonus track on digipak)​
Added: September 3rd 2007
Reviewer: Pete Pardo
Score:
star_whole.gif
star_whole.gif
star_whole.gif
star_whole.gif
star_half.gif

Metal Rules:

September 2007
Released: 2007, Nuclear Blast
Rating: 4.5/5
Reviewer: Chaosankh

Staying abreast of the ever-changing Amorphis must be quite a feat for even the most devout fan of the band. From the early TALES FROM THE THOUSAND LAKES days through the mellower days of AM UNIVERSUM to the loss of longtime front man, Pasi Koskinen, to their resurgence on 2006’s ECLIPSE, this has been a band that has seemingly explored stylistic grounds with reckless abandon. Still, they have somehow managed to stay interesting and relevant; and although they may have lost fans along the way, it seems likely that the quality of their releases should have made it easy for them to plug in new ones to replace those who are foolishly hoping for a return to some sound of the past. Now, we come to the newest chapter of the Amorphis saga, SILENT WATERS, another album that showcases their ability to skillfully mix a variety of musical styles, including, but not limited to, aggressive, death-growled metal, folk, progressive, psychedelic, and groovy mid-tempo rock - - all of which somehow coalesce into a unified package that demands repeated listens by those who enjoy music that takes them on an auditory journey.

The album begins with its hardest-hitting cut, “Weaving the Incantation,” a song that appropriately features the death side of singer Tomi Joutsen’s voice exclusively. The weirdest thing about the album, in fact, is that it is front-loaded with its heaviest material. Transitioning from the death-growled first track is another song, “A Servant,” that heavily uses that vocal style again for it’s first half before we get our first glimpse of the catchy and clean alter-ego side of Joutsen’s impeccable vocal range for an incredibly catchy chorus that features a brilliant, melodic lead guitar as well. By the time we get to the album’s third track, the band seems to be switching gears heavily. The title track has a structure that would not be out of the question for some of today’s melodic gothic metal bands that utilize distorted guitar accompanied by haunting piano leads in a similar fashion, all leading up to an ultra-melodic, hook-soaked chorus. Perhaps the best track on the album is “Towards and Against.” The dichotomy of this title is perfect as the song attempts to mix all of the divergent styles that Amorphis comprises into one representative piece. There is a great mix of vocals in this cut that starts with the more musical and clean variety before switching to the growl in perfect unison with the rising intensity level of the song. The best way to describe this number is as a five-minute roller coaster that eventually reverts back to the clean vocals for the album’s most memorable chorus. The middle and most of the latter half of the album is rather mellow and relies on a lot of the band’s more balladesque and folk leanings. Although all of these calmer songs are excellent, perhaps the best of them is “Enigma,” a wonderful acoustic selection that has a nice world music vibe to it that makes it a song that would not feel out of place on a Tea Party record. With just a brief glimpse of the more aggressive style on the penultimate track, the album whisks away on a somber note, highliting some of the albums most cutting and trademark lead guitar.

Everything that a fan of the band would expect rears its head throughout this adventurous and moody album: heavy guitars, signature leads and solos, memorable hooks, various instrumentation, and a plethora of other motifs that would immediately be recognized as parts of the Amorphis sound. With SILENT WATERS, this band has once again demonstrated their status as masters of sound synthesis, providing their audience with another offering of varied tones, structures, and emotions, all of which works at a level near perfection. Any who would rather hear this band revert to an earlier sound need not comment on this release because if Amorphis was any other way than they are on this record, we would be one brilliant album short in the metal community this year.

Brave Words:

Reviewed by : Mark Gromen
Rating : 8.5
It’s two seconds before Tomi Jutsen bellows forth with an opening death metal-ish growl. For those that enjoyed Eclipse, these ten tracks pick up where the predecessor left off, then continues the journey back through the Finns’ catalog, towards Elegy and Tuonela. Yes, it’s that good! All the trademarks are here: funky organ, acoustic guitars, clean/guttural vocal interplay, etc. Often, all those elements are evident within the same song (see opening ‘Weaving The Incantation’). However, anyone looking for a return to death metal stylings or pure aggression should look elsewhere. ‘A Servant’ starts down a path blazed by classic Paradise Lost and is sung entirely in gruff vocalizations, whereas the single, ‘Silent Waters’ is rather smooth (apart from the guitar break near the end), Goth-lite and clean throated. Thankfully, it’s the only such track and as such, doesn’t define the album. Those strange electronic effects introduce ‘Towards And Against’, another cut utilizing pretty much the full bag of tricks. ‘I Of Crimson Blood’ kicks off with piano only, adding some sporadic, tastefully done guitar, before becoming the first truly mid-tempo Amorphis tune on the disc (irrespective of the single). ‘Her Alone’ slows things down even more, about as close to real ballad as you’re likely to hear from these guys, built around piano. The acoustic guitars gives ‘Enigma’ a bluegrass/Irish Rovers twist, while ‘Shaman’ sports a little electro-jig (courtesy of omnipresent keyboard) in the midst of those damn infectious rhythms that Esa Holopainen and Tomi Koivusaari have been writing for 15 years now (hard to believe one of the first “teenager bands” is getting well into their 30s)! The concluding ‘Black River’ like much of the album reminds me of guilty atmospheric pleasures like Decoryah or early Third And The Mortal (minus female vox), the abrupt, albeit short-lived, changes in dynamics, never losing sense of simple melodies. A Sept. 11th issuance is expected in North America.

I recently purchased the 2 latest Amorphis discs. I think Elegy is still my favorite though.

NP: Fates Waring - Night On Brocken

Skeptics about Amorphis should really do some aural research before hating on this band; I believe they are going to bring the fucking house down...I am just nervous about their setlist. For them to play all the songs I want to hear, they're going to have to play for close to 3-4 hours :).

Favorite quote:

Label their music what you will, the Finnish legends throw plenty of melodic death metal, prog, gothic metal, psychedelia, and power metal at the listener

Eclipse and Silent Waters are your best introduction and preparation for their PP performance, but Elegy is a mind-blowing example of their genre-blending (and interesting lyrically too: their early releases drew heavily from Finnish mythology)

Silent Waters is definitely one of the most impressive discs of 2007. I like it because it sounds like Eclipse, which I still think is their best work to date (and this is coming from a long-time Amorphis fan).

Damm you Glenn!! I picked up Silent Waters, really getting into it now. Now I'm thinking I may have to work my way backwards into their catalog. Just when I thought I may be able to leave the Friday night of the show early.

My copy of Silent Waters arrived today. I've been listen to it since I popped it into my CD player.

Maybe I've gotten used to the so-called "cookie monster" vocals, but this music doesn't seem difficult at all to enjoy. In fact, it's reminiscent of Dark Tranquillity, a band I totally grew to dig.

Sure, there are growls. But there's also a shit-load of melody and catchy-ness (again, like Dark Tranquillity, circa Character or Damage Done).

Amorphis blends gentle piano interludes, acoustic guitars, and genuinely beautiful passages with bone-crushing riffs and, yes, an occasional cookie monster vocal. Yet, there are far more "clean" vocals than growls. Some of the instrumental passages are incredibly compelling and (dare I say it?) pretty. Track Five ("I of Crimson Blood"), for example. Or Track Seven ("Her Alone"), which is reminiscent of folk metal. Track Eight ("Shaman") has an epic, anthemic sound to it, with tinges of folk metal. I would love to see them do that one.

If these guys can pull off live the power and depth of their recordings they'll be mind-blowers.

Overall, I can easily see why Glenn chose this band for ProgPower USA IX. Whatever you think you know about Amorphis goes right out the window as soon as you listen to Silent Waters. This is not death metal. Nor is it a cookie monster growl fest. This is music that sounds, to me, like a cross between Elvenking, Dark Tranquillity, Evergrey, and even Riverside (the hypnotic instrumental passages draw me in the way Riverside's do).

Bottom line: If you're not excited by Amorphis now, buy Silent Waters and give it a listen. You may discover a brand new band to go nuts over.

Cheers,

Bill

Both Eclipse and Silent Waters are very good .. I had Silent Waters as my #1 this past year, and Eclipse as my #10 the previous year. I listened to Eclipse a lot in 07' though, and if I was to re-rank it could have been right there with Vanden Plas - Christ Zero, which ws my #1 in 06'.

I would recommend that people get both of these disc, as they will play a lot of material from them. For the people that like a little less in the way of growling Eclipse will probably appeal to you more. It's a happier disc than Silent Waters. Silent Waters is a little heavier on the growls, and is more of a dark and brooding disc. All in all though both discs are similar. I would think if you like one you'll like the other.

If you want to step back into the catalog some, but don't want to go hog wild spending maybe try "Chapters" It's a greatest hits type that covers them from the death beginnings to just prior to the Far From the Sun relase. It also comes with a bonus dvd with some videos and whatnot, and is priced nice. It's a good value for the buck .. got mine at CD Universe under $15. I would guess they will play 5 or 6 tracks from that disc at Prog Power.

Britt

From The Metal Observer

Amorphis - Silent Waters (9/10) - Finland - 2007
Genre: Progressive Metal
Label: Nuclear Blast Records
Playing time: 46:49
Band homepage: Amorphis

Tracklist:

Weaving The Incantation
A Servant
Silent Waters
Towards And Against
I Of Crimson Blood
Her Alone
Enigma
Shaman
The White Swan
Black River
AMORPHIS are one of those bands, which truly bear their name deservedly, as they are anything but predictable, resembling an a-morphic creative mass, continuously reinventing itself while maintaining a general root to mark the territory as this band’s only. Starting out as brutal Death Metal, they began to incorporate Folk influences, then discovered psychedelia, completely abandoning the Death Metal vocals, before taking one step back towards their past by bringing back that same gruff vocal style, yet at the same time taking a step forward and taking the best of all world’s they had traveled so far for last year’s masterpiece “Eclipse”.

“Silent Waters” now is the next step on the journey of Esa Holopainen and consorts and once more the album is undoubtedly AMORPHIS, yet very different from the predecessor, is there an end to the creative well of the Finns? It seems not and that is good, because they continue to release high class music, which will elude a pin-pointed categorization as well as appeal to a multitude of fans out there. So what is the basic tenor of this, their eighth full-length album? Well, it’s less heavy than “Eclipse”, but in no way gets sappy or anything like that, putting more emphasis on the melodies while still retaining the AMORPHIS-typical edge and atmosphere, also venturing in waters that some people might call Gothic Metal, but they do it with class and maturity, so you can’t hold that against them either.

Once more based upon a chapter of Finland’s national epic, the Kalevala, “Silent Waters” combines power and intricacies, growls and clear vocals, acoustic guitars and heavy riffing into a compelling and engaging whole, beginning with the sluggish “Weaving The Incantation”, where we are treated to a mix of exactly what I just described, along with some added organ for good measure, and brilliant melodies, while “Tales From The Thousand Lakes” shines through on following “The Servant” and its melodies, powerful, yet with filigree intricacies and details that just make you fall in love with the song.

“Silent Waters” has a mature Gothic Metal influence, “I Of Crimson Blood” sets out with piano and acoustic guitars and culminate in a great powerful chorus, “Her Alone” stays melancholic and emotional all the way through, “Enigma” offers a bit of choir, which sounds brilliant, “Shaman” lets you melt away and even introduces some sitar for another album highlight and “Black River” is the maybe most melancholic song of the whole album, slow paced and emotional, great!

Despite the album sounding like a cohesive whole, it is so hard to pinpoint the band’s sound, as it shows so many different facets and hues that one would have to point out and mention to give a comprehensive conclusion, so bear with me, AMORPHIS anno 2007 are still as fascinating and good as always, another highlight in their already gem-studded career!

(Online September 7, 2007)

If you want to step back into the catalog some, but don't want to go hog wild spending maybe try "Chapter" It's a greatest hits type

I know there are people who are still a bit hesitant about downloading their music because they like to own "the real thing". But 'best-of's are a totally artificial creation anyway, so that's the perfect sort of thing to download.

Conveniently, amazonmp3.com has every one of their albums for sale, including "Chapters". I guess the existence of "Chapters" is nice as a reference for popular songs, but if the goal is concert preparation on a budget, I would suggest just getting ahold of recent setlists and selecting individual tracks to download from each album. Then again, maybe I'm the only one who likes to do concert preparation like that?

Neil