The EDM Thread

KafkaX

Mr. Self Destruct
May 17, 2010
Planet Earth, Milky Way
I know, I know...EDM? On a Metal forum? But I dont care. I love this shit.

This thread is to talk about your favorite Dj's, sets, songs, shows, and festivals of all the names/styles that fall under the EDM umbrella.

Any other fans on the board?

I mean, I am going to Movement instead of MDF...it looks to be the CLEAR winner, all subgenres are covered and the focus is heavily on pioneers of genres and underground artists. This year is going to be AMAZING!

http://movement.us/lineup/

Right now I am pretty obsessed with Onra's "Chinoiseries Pt 1" which really needs to be listened to as an album since the tracks are < 2 minutes long. Nostalgic sounding Viet/Chinese tunes + breakbeats.

Ben Klock is my husband (Nina Kraviz doesn't have my full blessing, well, I guess she does actually) and a recent Boiler Room set in Berlin was pretty incredible:

Shpongle always

Argaman is cool psychedelic shit from Israel

DJ Marky and all other similarly beachy/summery sounding liquid-y DnB

Last edited by a moderator:

Too much vocal for me, but its good. I could see one of my fav DJ's doing a sick mashup with this, especially when shes belting it out.

First video was really interesting, need to give that a proper listen.

Shpongle is always a good choice.

That track by Argaman is fucking badass. Need to check more into them.

Im into progressive house, trance, electro and some trip hoppy stuff. Ill give some examples.

Trip hop/Psyche:

Progressive House:

Trance:

Huge fan of electronic music. When it comes to "dance" music, I tend to go for minimal house or prog/psy trance. Otherwise I listen to a ton of DnB, dungeon, and the occasional chillwave.

I try to go to Street Parade in Zurich, Switzerland every year and the Energy event that occurs the same evening. Nearly 24 hours of thumping electronic music throughout the entire city with drink stands every 50 ft of walking. Usually ends up being the best day of the year for me.

I think I only know 2 names outta the entire bill...TokiMonsta and John Digweed...What kind of EDM does this fest catter to?

I try to go to Street Parade in Zurich, Switzerland every year and the Energy event that occurs the same evening. Nearly 24 hours of thumping electronic music throughout the entire city with drink stands every 50 ft of walking. Usually ends up being the best day of the year for me.

streetparade.jpg

Holy fuck.

Yeah it gets really crowded on bridges and chokepoints, otherwise there's plenty of space walking since you can walk wherever you want. No vehicles allowed in the city for the whole day.

Anyway here's some stuff I've been bumping lately:

Dungeon:

Prog/psy trance:

(Skip to 3:00 on the track above)

Minimal:

I think I only know 2 names outta the entire bill...TokiMonsta and John Digweed...What kind of EDM does this fest catter to?

It's all over the place but originally was a free festival to celebrate Detroit techno and house, which as you can imagine has a "soulful" sound to it. But a lot of Berlin techno DJs go too, and of course a ton of other random shit. I don't know like 75% of the lineup either but I consider it a really awesome homework project and let's face it, live electronic music is ALWAYS FUN. I think I love it because, like metal, the enjoyment is so visceral. Fuck I love it all.

There's stuff I like in every subgenre really. I don't care for hardcore/gabba or dubstep or trance without a trippy side particularly.

I was at this in November - great energy, too bad it was all Italians on too many drugs but I enjoyed myself

Paco Osuna - so good

Andy C remixing Major Lazer

Onra sounding less Asian than on Chinoiseries I/II

I've been playing around a bit with making electronica type music: http://www.last.fm/music/Fat+Dustin/+videos Mind you, I don't listen to very much electronic music so I don't actually have a lot of influence from it, and I use a program that's not even meant for it (tuxguitar, it's like a free version of guitarpro). The midi instruments are pretty 80's sounding, but I think the songs turned out alright. Like trippy video game music.

^ Fool actually didnt rip it. Walked out of his set.

EDC Las Vegas is less than a week away. With the exception of only a few, this fest has every single DJ I would want to see live in one spot. Stoked.

^ Fool actually didnt rip it. Walked out of his set.

EDC Las Vegas is less than a week away. With the exception of only a few, this fest has every single DJ I would want to see live in one spot. Stoked.

Are you F&@king serious? walked out?!?!

I am somewhat seriously considering going to London in October for the primary purpose of seeing Shpongle...

Seriously walked out...I didnt think you liked trance, are you familiar with him? Hes a fucking veteran of the genre, but holy fuck was I bored most of his set. The acts before him werent all that impressive either.

I think I walked in with really high expectations because the people I went with said, when they saw him at the same venue a few months ago, and it was the best show theyd ever seen...So I was really stoked, but in turn, really let down.

Shpongle never disappoints. Always a good time/show. Im assuming youd do other shit while you are there yeah? Is PP into Shpongle?

That sucks that he was boring and so uninspired.

You've seen Shpongle?? Jealous! PP didn't know he liked Shpongle but I introduced him and he loved it.

You know I didn't think I liked trance but I find I really like Vibrasphere and the more hippie/psychedelic acts. And Tiesto, hehe.