The end of a metal era...?

You guys want real singing in your metal like the days of Iron Maiden?
http://www.myspace.com/hekztheband
These guys are on my local scene. I'm not trying to promote them or anything. But I just want to show you this as an example, bare with me I'll get to the point in a second. I really like this band, because they write some catchy material. But at the same time it's too clear where they get the core of their influence from when writing their music. Now I understand that no music these days is entirely original, but when you sound like Iron Maiden its hard not to say "oh they should get their own sound, they sound like a Maiden tribute band." I hope none of this comes back to bite me in the ass. For the record I like this band, they put on an excellent live show.
I guess I'm the last guy that can talk about originality because what I write sounds like Lamb of god and God Forbid.
Anyway, if we started having loads of metal bands singing like Bruce Dickenson and Rob Halford aren't we in danger of stopping the evolution of metal music, we need to keep injecting metal music with new ideas. But I totally agree that the growling/screaming vocals are totally over used so it's harder for bands to stand out from the crowd at the moment.

Interesting thoughts. I think the real challenge comes with attaining your own sound. Led Zeppelin are my heroes above all others, but if you look at the beginning of their career, they wore their influences on their sleeves and quite literally stole ideas from other bands they were influenced by (Moby Grape, etc.) They were very honest about this, but it was still the case. I think it went over the heads of most of their fans, and by the time Led Zeppelin III was out, they were already firmly establishing their own very unique sonic territory.

I think a lot of it has to do with where a band is in their career. A lot of bands in the beginning sound like near-clones of their various influences, but the bands who have longevity are generally the ones who grow into their own unique sound soon after that.

What we're seeing right now is a massive influx of young new bands who sound just like their influences. Some of them may grow into their own unique sound over time, and some will churn out clones of "Slaughter of the Soul" 2 or 3 times before they get dropped or break up.

As for my band, we don't want to be a part of any scene or trend. It's very competitive territory out there right now in extreme metal and a lot of the bands sound identical, which bores me to tears. I've been listening to more Porcupine Tree, Björk, and classic rock lately than anything else, being in a metal band I find that I get "metalled out" pretty easily. Listening to a lot of different music helps the metal aspect of my existence stay fresh and healthy. The last thing I would want would be to "burn out" on metal completely, because I still love it.

I don't think there's ever going to be a "next big thing" again in music because everything is more splintered and selective now with the iPod era. The amount of choices I have as a music listener is exciting to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone else who seeks out new music.

All the bands ripping Meshuggah will die (and it seems like 1 band out of 2 today, the other half ripping Opeth or Soilwork)... and they may bring them in their fall... :cry:

Talk about hitting the nail on the head on that comment. I'm having a very difficult time listening to any new metal artists. Originality is very hard to come by these days I guess. If I hear one more band other than Soilwork do any screaming at the top of their lungs and then do melodic singing the second the chorus comes in, I'm going cut my foot off then saw my own balls off with the stump. At least change the timber of the scream once and a while. That said and being a long time Soilwork fan, even their new shit is starting to annoy with their whole "formula". Way too predictable.

By the way, what in the name of sweet applesauce in september happened to In Flames? I've flushed the toilet and had it sound better than their last release.

what about IN FLAMES or TRIVIUM ? :heh: in flames is going that way...
Not even close sales wise.
"Come Clarity" sold 110,000 copies in the US.
"Ascendancy" sold 150,000 copies in the US.
"Follow the Leader" sold 5 Million.
It's not even the same scale.

Don't get me wrong, Trivium and In flames are doing fantastically sales-wise but it's not even the same scale.

I don't think we are at an end of a metal era or a beginning of a new one. I do feel that guitar playing is actually coming back. People are starting to do more leads, which I think is awesome! Some bands, however, have seemeed to stop to some degree...i.e. In Flames. Don't get me wrong, Come Clarity was a good album imo, but how many killer solos have been on their past two albums?

I am not a fan of the metalcore scene at all. I think many of the bands are trying to imitate the European sound, which is fine..but most of them sound the same. I cannot stand breakdowns in songs, which may be why I dislike metalcore. Maybe have one breakdown in as many as 2 of 10 songs? I mean...I know you can't be like "well, we reached our breakdown limit!" But at least be conscious of what you are writing. To me its just saying that the band has no more creative energy to fill in that space with something more interesting. Just my personal opinion.

I do feel though, that the passion for the music is still there and honestly, that is all that should really matter anyway. So...yeah...

Yeah, but even they should be thanking Fear Factory for that formula. And no one has sounded as good as Burton.

Great point. Oh how I love Fear Factory.............(until Dino left of course)

But with Fear Factory, the 'formula' doesn't sound like a bad cliche.

I think a lot of it has to do with where a band is in their career. A lot of bands in the beginning sound like near-clones of their various influences, but the bands who have longevity are generally the ones who grow into their own unique sound soon after that.

I don't think there's ever going to be a "next big thing" again in music because everything is more splintered and selective now with the iPod era. The amount of choices I have as a music listener is exciting to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone else who seeks out new music.

+1 on these comments. Hopefully the young imitators WILL do something unique as their bands mature.

And, I've said it as well soooo many times in talks among peers in our local scene - you will never see another huge "movement" or band especially in harder edged music. Metal is dominated by sub-genres, and it seems like the list grows everyday. As much as we all hate nu-metal, I do believe it was the last big metal movement that generated huge album sales. I don't think it's because the music now is worse, but the industry and mindset itself has changed so much in the last 5-7 years.

I truly believe that there will never be another band in metal to have a back catalog in 8 figures.

You guys want real singing in your metal like the days of Iron Maiden?
http://www.myspace.com/hekztheband
These guys are on my local scene. I'm not trying to promote them or anything. But I just want to show you this as an example, bare with me I'll get to the point in a second. I really like this band, because they write some catchy material. But at the same time it's too clear where they get the core of their influence from when writing their music. Now I understand that no music these days is entirely original, but when you sound like Iron Maiden its hard not to say "oh they should get their own sound, they sound like a Maiden tribute band." I hope none of this comes back to bite me in the ass. For the record I like this band, they put on an excellent live show.
I guess I'm the last guy that can talk about originality because what I write sounds like Lamb of god and God Forbid.
Anyway, if we started having loads of metal bands singing like Bruce Dickenson and Rob Halford aren't we in danger of stopping the evolution of metal music, we need to keep injecting metal music with new ideas. But I totally agree that the growling/screaming vocals are totally over used so it's harder for bands to stand out from the crowd at the moment.

It's fucking hard being in a UK metal band that does 'singing' I'm sick of playing with clone screamo metal core shit bands. Especially when it's a gear share gig, when I can't bring my own kit I'm forced to play a 4 piece pile of shit drumkit, and for guitars most of the bands have line 6 combos etc.... Sometimes we do get to play with some awesome bands, but most of the time it's just the same old crap. When we do play with real metal bands there's always an awesome feeling of camaraderie, everyone gets on, helps out and has a beer after. These kind of shows always have a great crowd too. With the likes of the metalcore clones it's always bitchiness and being difficult, like running over on a sound-check or not bringing any gear. Things are changing for sure. We're all in our late 20's and quite a few times we've had our arses kicked by bands 10 years younger playing fantastic trad metal.

http://myspace.com/eternaltormentuk