The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted.

@ 1:08 - Did she say Skynet Satellite? There you have it folks, we're fucked. ::stockpiles guns and explosives::

Yes, yes she did... Shit.
nerd.GIF

Was hoping for more Fallout content.

But cool stuff all the same. I'm too stupid to understand the implications.

Tbh I don't think any of us know what's going to come of this directly, other than the fact that we'll get a much greater understanding of how the universe was created. I do think the next few decades are going to be amazing for science though.

Tbh I don't think any of us know what's going to come of this directly, other than the fact that we'll get a much greater understanding of how the universe was created. I do think the next few decades are going to be amazing for science though.

the purpose of this experiment is to determine the higgs theory.

this is a huge breakthrough in particle physics. it is actually the single theory that will explain 98% of mass in the universe. how it is (in fact) held together, "subquark."

it has been a 20 year research that will also determine the significance of "strong force".

if we are able to substantiate this, we will soon gain the ability to mimic the dynamics of strong force.

granted the benefit of the experiment is possibly answering the fundamental question "how did we get here?"

the most significant immersion of science could allow us to ask the ridiculous question "what is god?" ...with a possibility of the answer being "god is a particle."

i agree with you when you say the follow decades will be amazing!

a very exciting time for science indeed.

It is indeed very excited by this news, but at the same time deeply saddened and troubled. I looked at every major news networks websites, and for every article about this absolute breakthrough in the experimental testing of theoretical and particle physics there were at least 4 articles about Call of Duty. Thirty years ago these kinds of tests would have been performed in the United States, but due to our politicians overall failure to understand the implications of science, this kind of research receives pitiful funding in the US. (Yes I realize science is a global enterprise, yadda-yadda). I am deeply saddened by the state of science education not only in America, but around the world. Science and math are our futures - it is wonderful, it is awe inspiring and (yes I'm going to say it) carries a mystical, almost religious sense of discovery and joy. These tests are a phenomenal display of what science is capable of (let alone the results of the tests themselves) and yet Call of Duty is more pressing news. My next hopes for this project is that it will bring Carl Sagan back to life and he can set us all straight.

It is indeed very excited by this news, but at the same time deeply saddened and troubled. I looked at every major news networks websites, and for every article about this absolute breakthrough in the experimental testing of theoretical and particle physics there were at least 4 articles about Call of Duty. Thirty years ago these kinds of tests would have been performed in the United States, but due to our politicians overall failure to understand the implications of science, this kind of research receives pitiful funding in the US. (Yes I realize science is a global enterprise, yadda-yadda). I am deeply saddened by the state of science education not only in America, but around the world. Science and math are our futures - it is wonderful, it is awe inspiring and (yes I'm going to say it) carries a mystical, almost religious sense of discovery and joy. These tests are a phenomenal display of what science is capable of (let alone the results of the tests themselves) and yet Call of Duty is more pressing news. My next hopes for this project is that it will bring Carl Sagan back to life and he can set us all straight.

if we were going to resurrect anyone, it should be einstein!

"I am deeply saddened by the state of science education not only in America, but around the world."

you shouldn't be...

Part of me is really, truly excited about the new frontiers in science.

There are other parts of me that are extremely afraid. The LHC deals with astronomical amounts of energy and can potentially create particles we have never seen before - we think we know what we're doing, but in reality, we're testing theory - what if our theories are wrong. It's a minor concern, but I can't help being concerned about that uncertainty. Don't get me wrong... I am not losing sleep over it, but - the LHC is new territory.

Sorry, but when something like 90% of American believe in a higher power, when to call into question the Shroud of Turin is dangerous, when there is such a vast belief that aliens are abducting and visiting this planet, that crop-circles are made by intra-dimensional beings, when faith healings are a widely held belief in parts of the world, when prayers are said instead of medicine being administered, when people believe in the power of magnets to heal diseases, that ghosts haunt our earthly world, or believe in the Loch Ness monster, etc. etc. then yes I think there is something very wrong about the way science is taught. The fact that most people don't understand rational thinking, the scientific method, fundamental concepts of physics, chemistry, biology and math - then yes there is something wrong with the state of science education.

Yes great advances are being made in science everyday. But just think what would be possible if science were taught more, in a better fashion, were funded better. Where would we be now? How many "Einstein's" never existed because of an underfunded high school physics program? How many Linus Pauling's did the world miss out on because of fanatical religious beliefs? Science is doing pretty good all things considered, I just think it can do better and we need everyday people to realize it - and the only way to do that is through rigorous, logical, and honest education.

Part of me is really, truly excited about the new frontiers in science.

There are other parts of me that are extremely afraid. The LHC deals with astronomical amounts of energy and can potentially create particles we have never seen before - we think we know what we're doing, but in reality, we're testing theory - what if our theories are wrong. It's a minor concern, but I can't help being concerned about that uncertainty. Don't get me wrong... I am not losing sleep over it, but - the LHC is new territory.

let's put it this way... these are the same people we have trusted for almost a century.

they have discovered atoms, quarks and particle zoos. they have a lot of experience with more dangerous experiments.

for example... nuclear weapons.

these devices are much more unstable and (in fact) more threatening to a survivor status.

if something "goes wrong" in a nuclear fission experiment the whole world will see it happen and probably generate a more negative opinion about future nuclear energy practices.

however if an experiment goes wrong in a hadron collider... the whole world will not see it! (because the planet will be obliterated).

so everyone dies... not just you.

ya dig? :D

Sorry, but when something like 90% of American believe in a higher power, when to call into question the Shroud of Turin is dangerous, when there is such a vast belief that aliens are abducting and visiting this planet, that crop-circles are made by intra-dimensional beings, when faith healings are a widely held belief in parts of the world, when prayers are said instead of medicine being administered, when people believe in the power of magnets to heal diseases, that ghosts haunt our earthly world, or believe in the Loch Ness monster, etc. etc. then yes I think there is something very wrong about the way science is taught. The fact that most people don't understand rational thinking, the scientific method, fundamental concepts of physics, chemistry, biology and math - then yes there is something wrong with the state of science education.

Yes great advances are being made in science everyday. But just think what would be possible if science were taught more, in a better fashion, were funded better. Where would we be now? How many "Einstein's" never existed because of an underfunded high school physics program? How many Linus Pauling's did the world miss out on because of fanatical religious beliefs? Science is doing pretty good all things considered, I just think it can do better and we need everyday people to realize it - and the only way to do that is through rigorous, logical, and honest education.

remember ...faith came before science.

*anecdotal: my step-father is a physicist and he believes in god. (weird huh)?

he believes this because neither practices prove the other wrong.

yet :)

let's put it this way... these are the same people we have trusted for almost a century.

they have discovered atoms, quarks and particle zoos. they have a lot of experience with more dangerous experiments.

for example... nuclear weapons.

these devices are much more unstable and (in fact) more threatening to a survivor status.

if something "goes wrong" in a nuclear fission experiment the whole world will see it happen and probably generate a more negative opinion about future nuclear energy practices.

however if an experiment goes wrong in a hadron collider... the whole world will not see it! (because the planet will be obliterated).

so everyone dies... not just you.

ya dig? :D

:lol: Feel better already.

the purpose of this experiment is to determine the higgs theory.

this is a huge breakthrough in particle physics. it is actually the single theory that will explain 98% of mass in the universe. how it is (in fact) held together, "subquark."

it has been a 20 year research that will also determine the significance of "strong force".

if we are able to substantiate this, we will soon gain the ability to mimic the dynamics of strong force.

granted the benefit of the experiment is possibly answering the fundamental question "how did we get here?"

the most significant immersion of science could allow us to ask the ridiculous question "what is god?" ...with a possibility of the answer being "god is a particle."

i agree with you when you say the follow decades will be amazing!

a very exciting time for science indeed.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

I've always been interested in this kind of stuff, although I understand very little about it. Same thing with astronomy.

I agree with roy, it's sad that real news like this are almost nowhere to be seen under all the Big Brother, celeb nip-slips etc. type of crap. I stumbled on this by accident.