The EssenEss Project album update!

Steve Smyth

Lead Axe
Feb 27, 2002
Earth
www.stevesmyth.com
Hey Everybody!
First off, welcome to T.E.P's UM forum! It's great for us to be here, and the following is a recording update:
I have recently obtained new recording equipment in the form of a Mac G4, and a new MBox2 set-up, and have gotten underway for the last few weeks again, tracking overdubs for the debut. Things are going great, albeit a little bit slower thna I have hoped it to, as you'll find out whe you read on.
I have mainly been tracking with 3 guitars: My BC Rich Bich( fixed bridge), my Ignitor 7 ( Floyd Rose), and my old Ibanez Saber as well( Floyd Rose), all with EMG pickups, and oddly enough, 3 different pickup configurations as well ( looking for all those elusive tones!). All 3 guitars are running into my Line 6 POD direct, or I am also trying a few other options, which I have put below:
I have also tracked a little bit with an old Boogie rig I had, Triple Rec and a Carvin cab with EV 75 watt speakers in it that I modded myself waaaay back when I got my first Carvin stack. Using a 57 for close mic'ing, an AT 3035 for ambient mic'ing.
Am also trying a few new amp "rigs", including Amplitube ( like the BlackBurst channel for leads and rhythm), as well as something from Krank, which I am pretty sure was not intended to be used for recording, but I have found a way( heh heh heh!), along with a little compression and EQ at the source. More on this one later! We're going a little slower than I wanted/ expected to, as Steve Hoffman(my bass playing "partner in crime" on this album) and i have been doing this on our own, learning new shit every day we do this! I am trying to finish tracking within the next 2 weeks as my goal, and looks like I may just make it. Steve is about 75% of the way done, having recorded some 9 of 12 songs already, and Atma Anur, our special guest "shred" drummer(!!!) has been done for sometime with all 12 songs, patiently waiting for us to finish this album! Atma did an awesome job on this album, and Steve and I really can't wait for you all to hear it!
From here, the album hopefully will be mixed and mastered in SF with some old friends of Steve and mine ( more on this later) by summer's end. That's our goal anyway, and the only thing getting in the way of that would be my impending surgery, which obviously will have to come first! But we'll try our damndest to get it done before that happens, if I can do anything about it!
Allright, well that our update for now; for some demo samples, find the link on here, and check out those! They're little snippets, and there may be more to come in the next few weeks, so you guys can get a picture of a little bit more of the album's diversity! That is, if you want them! Let us know!:headbang:

Cool Steve! I've been hoping to hear more from this project since you played me some over a year ago.:headbang: :kickass:

LT1Z said:
Cool Steve! I've been hoping to hear more from this project since you played me some over a year ago.:headbang: :kickass:
Hey LT1Z! Welcome here man! Yes, I know, it's been a while that we've been working on these! Finally got the $ together for the gear, now the illness happens in the picture, but the album will prevail and be done, dammit! I'll hopefully be able to post something in a few weeks time.:headbang: :kickass: :Smokin:

Steve Smyth said:
Hey LT1Z! Welcome here man! Yes, I know, it's been a while that we've been working on these! Finally got the $ together for the gear, now the illness happens in the picture, but the album will prevail and be done, dammit! I'll hopefully be able to post something in a few weeks time.:headbang: :kickass: :Smokin:

Glad to hear it Steve!! Looking forward to that post!:headbang: