EssenEss Album Update 07/06/06!!!

Steve Smyth

Lead Axe
Feb 27, 2002
Earth
www.stevesmyth.com
Hey Everybody!
Well, time for the latest update, and we've got some stuff to talk about this time!
It's now July, and we're on track to finish tracking by the end of summer, as planned.
I have 5 songs completely done ( samples will be going up in the next few weeks! yeah!), and am at work on a 6th as we speak. We have a total of 12. You might be asking, well, what's taking so long dude? I know I have been!
Simply put, since we're doing this on our own, it's a longer process than if Steve Hoffman( the other Ess) and I were working together. To remedy this, I have been tracking Steve as much as his schedule permits, in between tracking myself, as long as I can go for, energy-wise. The result; I have been putting in a full day about 4 days out of the week ( things like dialysis get in my way, and do tire me out), and we're 4 songs away from getting Steve done with tracking bass. Then his other overdubs will begin ( he's going to play keys and possibly a few ethnic instruments on this as well).
As for me, I've got 5 1/2 songs done right now completely, leads and all, and am moving through each song completely before I go on to another one. I am also referencing our demos as we go along( sometimes not though, as this can be a pain in the ass at times), trying to get certain things out of them that need to be on there, and in most cases, trying to top and kill those demos every step of the way( no demoitis here!)! This takes time, but I believe the time will be worth it.
Another factor, one which I've mentioned before, is we're doing this on our own. And taking all of the knowledge I have in the creation of a record, and trying to apply it to the best of my ability, everyday, is my ultimate goal right now. Things have been going really good on that front, and ProTools has become a very familiar format to me finally, as I have learned more things in the last few weeks through these sessions than I have in quite a while! Every album I've ever done, with exception to This Godless Endeavor, and Dragonlord's Black Wings of Destiny, has been on 2" analog or ADAT, both being formats that have the same obvious elements; mixers, busses, aux inputs, editing capabilities. But now I know how to put all that shit together_ and track! Killer! But I know I've got a long way to go! I'm no Sneap or Nordstrom by any means. But, you do learn a little from everyone you work with.
So, as of this first week of July, that's where we are now! We've got some updates comin' at 'cha in the next week here, and the impending samples as well! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: