The Forgotten Sabbath: Tony Martin

Thorngren

Project Genocide
Apr 2, 2005
The Napa Valley
www.livejournal.com
I’ve recently (in the past month) come into completing my Black Sabbath collection and have finally acquired all the (very hard to find) Tony Martin Sabbath albums. All I have to say is ‘Oh My God!!!!!!’ because….

WHY ON EARTH ARE THESE NOT KNOWN AS ESSENTIAL METAL RELEASES?!!!!!!!?????!!!!!

Sure, Forbidden is rather weak (but with its moments), but Headless Cross, Tyr, Cross Purposes and Eternal Idol are possibly Sabbath’s best efforts put out… not to mention that Live Cross Purposes has the coolest setlist ever (an actual variety from all eras) with top notch performances from the band.

And my god, Tony Martin!!!! This man’s voice is like… it fits with every era so well. He sounds at home just as much on Ozzy tracks as he does on Dio tracks, not to mention his own. His voice just melts into the band.

But now I wanna actually get into the actual albums.

Tyr has to be the coolest thing ever recorded…. The opener Anno Mundi is fantastic. It sounds mystical, evil and heavy!!! Just like metal sound. The perfect way to open an album…Law Maker just screams ‘Mob Rules’ (era) song writing which I believed was lost. It has that upbeat fast rock tempo. Jerusalem is a great rocker and The Sabbath Stones is a fantastic epic in the vein of Heavy and Hell and Black Sabbath.

The Eternal Idol is probably the best of the Martin albums, or at least the most consistent, with EVER track (and I mean every single one) being a standout. This album is more rockish than my favorite of the bunch (Tyr with its more epic power metal vibe) but with what this album does, it does it better than most. The Shining, Ancient Warrior, Born To Lose and the evil title track make the grades on this though, and wow baby… wow did this album not tack off into heavy metal popularity? It’s packed with way more energy and metal than the ‘classics’ like Vol. 4 that are oh so popular

And Headless Cross… this album, what can I say? The moody intro track sets ya up for this ride in a way that lets ya know you’re on your way to hell, and its gunna be a fun ride. The title track has to be one of my all time favorite Sabbath cuts, and might even have bumped Heaven and Hell from my coveted ‘FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME’ spot that it has held for about a good solid 4 or 5 years… after listening to that song you’re lucky you still have a soul to sell, because chances are its been crushed by the heavy godly soul crushing riff. Devil & Daughter really gets the album going and When Death Calls slows it down again showing you that you can not escape the Sabbath! Nightwing is a great closer track too, really showing off the abilities of everyone in the band quite well.

Cross Purposes is a good album too, but doesn’t seem to quite match up to the others… I Witness is a good heavy opener with great leadwork by Iommi (but when is it not great?). Cross Of Thorns is very moody and atmospheric. Psychophobia is a heavy track that speeds circles around you. Another standout track is Cardinal Sin, a pure Sabbath track.

Forbidden is alright, but we could all do without… I don’t really feel like listening to it again to post my thoughts on it fresh, but I will say what I remember from it. The Illusion Of Power was pretty cool until I heard that weird ass rapping thing going on in it (Why god dear god why???!!! Not in my Sabbath!!!!) Can't Get Close Enough is a good track (probably the best on the album, but Martin sounds slightly whiny in it though…) and I remember thinking the bonus track Loser Gets It All was one of the best on there (so why was it only a bonus?) but I also remembering (while listening to it) thinking that it sounded like a leftover from Cross Purposes.

Still though, why aren’t these albums on everyone’s wish list? Why doesn’t everyone own these already? They’re amazing, and really worthy of every metalhead’s time. Just because Ozzy or Dio aint on it, it don’t mean you should write it off. Its some of Sabbath’s best.

I, too, really enjoy the "Martin" era, but I can't come close to saying it tops either the Dio or Ozzy eras. Just can't do it. And, I think "Born Again" has some better material than alot of what they did with Martin.

With that said, I do agree that TYR is a masterpiece....literally every song owns!
Eternal Idol is right behind it, with some great tunes.

I've always found Headless Cross to be overrated. It has it's moments, but too much filler (and a dreadful drum sound/production).

Cross Purposes also owns, particularly the GODLY "Dying for Love".

I won't mention "Forbidden". :yuk: :cry:

I'm a fan of the Martin era too. I rank it just behind the Dio era. I have Cross Purposes and Headless Cross. I should polish off the entire era just for completeness, if nothing else. I've heard Tyr more than a few times and really don't have a good explanation why I don't have it already. :oops:

I've never been a fan of the Ozzy era. I like a lot of the songs from that time but I'd rather hear them with someone else on vocals. One of the reasons why Live Evil are two of my favorite Sab discs. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Martin live discs.

Tony Martin era (which was longer than Dio or Ozzy actually) is a rather good one for the Iommi's Sabbath. Sadly "Forbidden" is such a bad crap that stains the achievements of "Headless Cross", "Tyr" and "Cross Purposes".

The best of the bunch is and will be "Headless Cross", very obscure, very heavy and no silly ballads (like 'Dying For Love' and 'Fells Good to Me'), 'Headless Cross', 'Nightwing', 'When Death Calls', 'Devil & Daughter', 'Black Moon' are great metal tunes.

Hi Thorngren
I have the headless cross album which is one of my all time favs, i know what you mean about Tony Martin,s voice it is pretty awesome. The power and passion that is emitted from devil and daughter is pretty awesome and his voice gives the exellent gloomy track headless cross a certain enchanting type of atmosphere. I have seen a few of the Tony Martin - sabbath cd,s in a local music store going for about £5, Tyr being one of them. So i may try that one out next.

crystal dawn

Tony Martin is one of the most underrated singers in metal world!
Everybody's like "Bruce this, Halford that" and noone seems to know about this magnificent voice!
Guy has some of Dio's vibe and approach to singing and phrasing, but has his own distinct style as well and suited perfectly his Sabbath era.

And I thing the BS reunion worth seeing would be with him behind the mic and not that sad excuse for a man who used to front the pioneers of HM.

SickBoy said:
And I thing the BS reunion worth seeing would be with him behind the mic and not that sad excuse for a man who used to front the pioneers of HM.

I thought and said the same some days ago when Sixx wrote about the Iommi/Hughes and Geezer tours. It'll be really fine to tour also with Tony Martin (and I hope Bill Ward) and add Black Sabbath to the tour (to hell with Ozzpest).

Been away for a little while(not really that long :Spin: ), but had to go back to this great place :D.
Anyhow I really didn't like Tyr when it first came out , but now it turned into one og my fave Martin platters.
Anno Mundi, Jerusalem and The Sabbath Stones(damn the beginning sounds a bit too much like "Lost Horizons" )

My rating would be:

Eternal Idol
Tyr
Headless Cross
Cross Purposes
Forbidden(don't like it that much actually)

So now I'm really looking forward to Martin's solo outing :headbang:

-Torben-

it's a shame Tony Martin won't play with Sabbath anymore, but ya can't blam him. look how they treated him. his controbutions were great, yet they threw him away for Dio when the chance arose, then asking for him back only to toss him away for Ozzy... he didn't really deserve to be treated that way.

Thorngren said:
it's a shame Tony Martin won't play with Sabbath anymore, but ya can't blam him. look how they treated him. his controbutions were great, yet they threw him away for Dio when the chance arose, then asking for him back only to toss him away for Ozzy... he didn't really deserve to be treated that way.

You're right on the mark, Martin never got what deserved in Sabbath, but it seems as 3M wasn't any better :cry:.
Anyhow the Rondinelli album "Our Cross - Our Sins" really had a cool Sabbath wipe with both Martin and Murray onboard.

-Torben-

Thorngren has seen the light! Amen!
Go check out the Cage and The Cage II cds. Those are nearly on par with the Sabbath Tony M albums.

I LOOOOOOVE the Martin era, just like the rest of the Black Sabbath legacy! Afterall, Black Sabbath is one of my big 3 bands (the other two being Judas Priest and Overkill). Tyr and Eternal Idol are also my two favorites, but really, they're all good, except Forbidden. That one just sucks.

ok, with that said...................................

shameless plugging time!

Listen to my show tomorrow night and Thursday night from 6pm to 10pm, at www.palomarcollegeradio.com! And EVERY show at 7pm, i will a segment i like to call "The Seven O' Clock Sabbath", which will be a block of Black Sabbath, spanning their ENTIRE career.

[/shameless plug]:D

I am a huge fan of the Martin era. I feel extremely sorry for Iommi, Geezer, and Bill...while they could be putting out great records that asshole keeps them as his backing band every summer. I think the guys need to stand up to Ozzy and say "FUCK YOU" and they could easily get an awesome singer. I am not an Ozzy sheep by any means, I consider Ozzy to be the Dani Filth of the 70's and 80's. Ozzy is a joke, and Sabbath can write some great fucking stuff without him which alot of people don't know.

I got into the Martin Era about 4 years ago I think. That was back when I got an allowance of 10 bucks and every friday I would go up to the cd store and get 1 of the first Martin cd's for $9.99, although I never bought Forbidden.

My favorite of the albums is Tyr, probably my favorite Sabbath album. My fave song would be Anno Mundi, I love it when Martin screams "YOUR EYES ARE BURRRRRNIIIINNGGG" it's so fucking "raise your fist and scream your fucking head off."

The only Ozzy era songs I ever loed were Junior's Eyes and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Don't get me wrong there were lots of good ones but those are the only ones that make me assgasm.

The Martin era is the best era of Black Sabbath for me, by far!

If I saw a Black Sabbath show, I'd much rather see them reunite with one of the late '80s lineups than have the Ozzy-era lineup!

Wicked Child said:
I LOOOOOOVE the Martin era, just like the rest of the Black Sabbath legacy! Afterall, Black Sabbath is one of my big 3 bands (the other two being Judas Priest and Overkill). Tyr and Eternal Idol are also my two favorites, but really, they're all good, except Forbidden. That one just sucks.
Same for me, Tyr being of my favorite Sabbath releases.

Tyr is definately the best (check out allmusic.com's 1-star rating... WTF!?).