The Forgotten Sabbath: Tony Martin

Wow! I did not know so many people shared the same opinion as I as far as the Martin time period goes... and Forbidden doesn't ENTIRELY suck... there are a few good tracks... but the rest of the catalogue, pure platinum!

too bad Martin was just a Dio clone... o_O

some albums are not bad (Tyr & Eternal Idol are my fav') but it's not as good as Ozzy's or Dio's era...

sixxswine said:
I hear you Trixxi!

In 1997 it would have been super-exciting to see the original lineup reunite. But now? I'd much rather see the lineup that was moving forward and doing good things, and could still play and sing great, than the Sharon-run "let's make Ozzy a big pop culture figure again and cash in on Sabbath's nostalgia factor but make them cool to the mallcore kids as well because Ozzy says 'fuck' alot and has his own MTV reality program" show.

Kinda like KISS. I would rather see the lineup that was moving forward, writing great songs and could play like motherfuckers, than the nostalgia act they have become. That said though, they do still deliver a hell of a show and do have a drummer who can play like a motherfucker! I'd just rather see the REAL Eric with his double bass kit and blonde hair rather than him trying to capture some of the "Peter vibe".

T.I.E. said:
too bad Martin was just a Dio clone... o_O

:err: :err: :err:

Different singers, with totally different approach to vocalization. Each a great one on its own, not owing anything to anyone, and delivering great in harmony to the music they sing to (I'm referring to studio album abblities, live nor I know or care).

If someone fills in for the job as a vocalist for a big name, respected metal band it's not easy for the new one to get a good reputation for it. Fans will complain the new vocalist is a rip off of the earlier vocalist if they sound a little similar. But, if the new vocalist actually does a different approach the fans will just say they miss the earlier vocalist. So, I imagine it's hard to be a vocalist for such a respected band like Sabbath.

ok, it was a bit of an overstatement, Tony Martin is not exactly a Dio clone but let me tell you what happened to me :
before the released of Eternal Idol I got a promo tape from GWR (their record company back then in Europe) with no biography or line-up details whatsoever... listening to it I was quite sure Dio was back with Sabbath only to discover a few weeks later that it was a Tony Martin singing... imo, on this particular album, he mimicks Dio so much (probably because Iommi wanted it that way) that it's a bit embarrassing...

later on his his BS collaborations, TM sure acquired a more personnal way but on Eternal Idol (his best with Sabbath for me) he was indeed a Dio clone... :erk:

SoundMaster said:
Although I have heard people mention that Martin rips off Dio, I do no see or hear it in any way, shape or form.

In fact, I think Martin has more in common, vocally, with the late, great Ray Gillen (Badlands, Black Sabbath 1986).

I'm with you on that one. I always thought TM had a more blues vibe to him. I don't hear any Dio at all.

I have only TYR and Headless Cross from theMartin years but Headless Cross is most likely my favorite Sabbath album so filler and it does not die at the end like other Sabbath albums H&H and Tyr.