The Formula 1 Thread

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So after having a few chats with Joematthews on facebook about this the last couple weeks, I wanna see who around here follows F1 and what do you think of the current season and recent events?

Me, I've been an Alonso fan since I've been following f1 which I pretty much inherited from my father who loves it, and luckily I have now passed it on to my wife and we all gather to watch the races. So I'm tired of speaking myself out, i want you guys to add your thoughts

I could never get into F1. I was a big fan of the CART series, but with all the drama between them and the IRL, and then the merge, I don't even watch that anymore.

Maybe I'll start watching F1 now. At least they are stable.

Im a bit of a fan. Looks like when they sort vettel's car out he'll get his first championship :p It's nice to have two brits in one team atm- Jensen button comes from Frome, a place a few miles away from where I am.

I always like wierd motor sports, like tractor pulling and off-road uphill...

F1 just bores the living shit out of me

800px-Tractor_pull_02.JPG

:heh::headbang:

I don't give a fuck how old he is or where he's been, he's way off the pace :lol: Not a schumacher fan as you may gather.

F1 pisses me off. Everyone here praises Ayrton Senna as if he was the greatest genius of mankind. Can anyone tell me if any of the brazilians dudes are actually good? It´s impossible to get an impartial opinion from the media here.

I have to agree with Joe, you think saying "well I'm 41 and I've been off for years, cut me some slack" will make him win races? Bullshit, he should've left his name as unstained and glorious as it was when he retired. Of course I'm always open to being shut the hell up but for now his performance is pretty bad

Narco, currently Felipe Massa is pretty good, Barrichello was never good enough IMO, and Ayrton's nephew is a rookie in the new Spanish f1 team this year, but can't prove much with such a terrible car for now

Thats pretty fucking inane. Its not like his team's necessarily amazing. the guy wants to come back he can come back. His talent level being questioned is a fucking joke, however.

of course he can come back, but NOT questioning his current talent is truly a joke, he fucking sucks now, period. Whatever he did before will not change the fact that he's racing for the pure lulz of it

Now, must I say, what a race! My thoughts:

-Vettel should be crowned fucking world champion today and end it, I kneel before god vettel (who looks like young james hetfield lol). I was expecting him to pull the stunt he did today, dude has a total clear head for his young age, unlike some others have proven to not have *cough*hamilton*cough*
-Ferraris had terrible performance in the heat, shame for Alonso's car breaking down during that awesome battle with button
-Button mentioned after the pole "at least my world championship competitors are behind me", he should wake the fuck up and notice 1) he isn't even a world championship competitor and 2)the real world championship competitor was smelling that first place's ass the whole weekend
-Petrov deserved respect after the way he handled hamilton like a champ, hamilton on the other hand should get his ass penalized instead of running off with a """warning""" for performing an illegal action that would've given petrov the lead.
-Nico rosberg was a surprise, more proof schumacher sucks, you can't blame the car now

Why is he being destroyed every single race by rosberg then? They are in the same car. Lets face it, and there's no way around this one, he is not the driver he used to be.

Why is he being destroyed every single race by rosberg then? They are in the same car. Lets face it, and there's no way around this one, he is not the driver he used to be.

nah man he's 41 and was off for many years, it's cheating to say he sucks, in fact they should give him a handicap and let him start a lap before all other so it can be fair. Unfair game this f1 thing, he's 41 and they don't let him win :loco:

he fucking sucks now, period.

I think there's a lot of personal antipathy and favouritism of other drivers diluting the statements here.

Of course, Schumacher has to be judged at his current results. But you can't simply take away the context. He's been gone for several years, years in which the F1, especially the cars, have drastically changed.

So with that background, for him to come back and to reach top 10 results in a very dense competition... "he fucking sucks now, period."?

Are you serious? That's like saying Nico Hülkenberg sucks because he hasn't won yet even though he dominated all the other series.

Really, I'm with "J" there, I can't take these comments seriously which black out the context. When Schumacher changed from Benetton to Ferrari back in the day, it took him several years to adjust the car to match him perfectly. But within those years, he didn't lose his talent.

If you really expect him to come back into a completely different F1 and to smoke his competition from the get-go, even though he had not much time/hand in testing and developing, you're just delusional.

If you want a valid benchmark of his current abilities, take the "Race Of Champions" from the last years (with cars that were equally known/unknown to all of them) where he always outperformed Vettel who many consider to be the most talented driver around nowadays.

Wait two more years. If he's still not a title contender by then, then you're right, he's lost some ability. But stating this NOW, after three races (of which he only completed two) is just absolutely irrational by any means.

Narco, currently Felipe Massa is pretty good, Barrichello was never good enough IMO, and Ayrton's nephew is a rookie in the new Spanish f1 team this year, but can't prove much with such a terrible car for now

Thanks. People here never liked Barrichello that much. The current joke is that "he is always behind the german" (Schumacher). I´m so sick of people considering a reckless playboy on a fast car as a national hero.

I´m so sick of people considering a reckless playboy on a fast car as a national hero.

Well, I don't know if Senna was a "playboy", and he sure was undoubtedly one of the best drivers ever, I too would consider him a national hero if he was born in my country. Alonso can be seen as a national hero here in Spain, as much as Zidane is a national hero in france and Alex ferguson is called "Sir" in England.

Slash, you make a good point there, and I'm glad you answered with a real argument instead of "it's a joke". I said before, I'm open to being shut the hell up but I really don't see him getting that much better, at least not enough to win another championship, But that's just me. He still currently sucks at formula 1 racing and that can't be denied I think, and he is not in good enough shape, as proven when he tried to sub for massa last year. And if you look at statistics, the very few champions who managed to win again after coming back from retirement (I think they're only 3 or 4) were only away for 1 or 2 years, not 4 and certainly not after all the major changes the sport has gone through the last 4 years. Of course, if you look at statistics, Schumacher still holds pretty much every record in the f1 world so numbers will always be on his side

Still, rock on :headbang: