The future of classical heavy metal

gryphon

Jul 22, 2002
norway
www.griffin.no
I'm the guitarplayer of Norwegian heavy metal Griffin. I was just wondering if you people have any wievs on the future for straight, old fashioned metal in these days of nu-metal, black metal and so on?

There are many metalheads around that still prefere classical heavy metal bands...... old and new ones.... but they are a minority and maybe of an "old" age (without meaning that "youngrer" metalheads don't listen to such bands).
Especially here in Greece we have quite many fans "stuck" to '80 metal....

A lot of old style Metal bands have great cult followings. Regardless of mainstream success. Even amongst us "Kids" in the U.S. There are those who are hardcore followers of the classically influenced. Iced Earth, and Blind Guardian are such bands. Blind Guardian has gotten quite a bit of a cult following.

While I'm not personally into heavy metal, I still feel there's a place for it. Heaps of people in Australia like the more traditional sound...

Originally posted by gryphon
I'm the guitarplayer of Norwegian heavy metal Griffin.
Wasn't that your band playing before a certain bm band in Trondheim a year +++ ago ? Covering "Wrathchild" for your _grand finale_ ?

We've released 2 albums called Wasteland Serenades(2000), and The Sideshow(2002). There are actually a lot of heavy metal bands in Norway, some of them are really good, but it's hard to promote yourself, coming from Norway, when everybody is expecting you to play black metal. Yes, we did a cover of Wrathchild. I love that song.