The changing face of Norwegian Black Metal

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
At the moment, I'm wearing a longsleeve Darkthrone shirt, upon the back of which is the slogan, "True Norwegian Black Metal".

What are some of your thoughts as far as black metal evolution is concerned? Do you think today's efforts by the likes of Thorns, Mayhem, Immortal et al are 'black metal' or do you think the genre ended around 1994/5?

Personally I think black metal is capable of evolving, which is why I still consider these latest album as black metal. Obviously not like the old Darkthrone and Burzum style of black metal, but as a progression of the common theme.

What do you people think?

Lutz? ;)

Originally posted by requiem
At the moment, I'm wearing a longsleeve Darkthrone shirt, upon the back of which is the slogan, "True Norwegian Black Metal".

What are some of your thoughts as far as black metal evolution is concerned? Do you think today's efforts by the likes of Thorns, Mayhem, Immortal et al are 'black metal' or do you think the genre ended around 1994/5?

Personally I think black metal is capable of evolving, which is why I still consider these latest album as black metal. Obviously not like the old Darkthrone and Burzum style of black metal, but as a progression of the common theme.

What do you people think?

Lutz? ;)

Yeah, I think it is able to envolve but I think it is going too fast sometimes, like with the newest Mayhem studio album for example, it is just too much different stuff on that album, took some time to enjoy that album since it was so different.

Yeah, so I also think it is capable of envolving maybe into a whole new genre (maybe that is the best..)
But I don't think it will ever be as good as the old stuff.. It does not have the same feeling.
So it is good there are still underground bands that are playing the older style and keeping it alive.

NP: In The Woods... - Omnio

Nice topic!
Well it would be definatelly boring if all the "old" (but also some "new") B/M bands didn't "develop" their music......... can you imagine a black metal sceen with hudrends of ~quite~ the same albums.......? fucking boring!!!
It's ok if only a few bands are still "back in time" like Darkthrone .... but only few!
And also the evolution in the Norwegian b/m was very great as so many monuments have been out......... like "La masquerade...", "666 international", "grand declaration...", "monumension" and soooooooo many other to mention...

Musicians change by the years and so does their music!
The fans sometimes don't understand and respect that.... but I think that if the musicians expresses their true feelings through the music ............there is nothing we can do to stop them....

That's very natural and pleasent/delightful to happen!

Satyr seems to think the future of black metal is sterile "computer" sound. He seems to think black metal should sound like it has no emotion or musical passion. He seems to think black metal should sound calculated, and that music should be composed because "scientific evidence indicates this note should go here". If you look at artists on Moonfag, nearly all of them have this sound.

The only band that can pull this off is DHG, who are digital as fuck, but still sound grim and brutal. Their music has the inherent hatred and danger of black metal, however distorted. 666 International is masterpiece.
"I would say that it is almost idiotic to not understand the value of this album" Fenriz

Originally posted by Ormir

The only band that can pull this off is DHG, who are digital as fuck, but still sound grim and brutal. Their music has the inherent hatred and danger of black metal, however distorted. 666 International is masterpiece.
"I would say that it is almost idiotic to not understand the value of this album" Fenriz
Indeed I agree on Dødheimsgard's new album being a great experimental album, they succeded much better than Mayhem did.

Originally posted by Lutz

Indeed I agree on Dødheimsgard's new album being a great experimental album, they succeded much better than Mayhem did.

Although I haven't heard the Dodheimsgard album, I really, really love Grand Declaration of War. I still get the original feeling in the music, even though it's completely different... To me, it's still 'the true' Mayhem!!

To an outside observer, they'd call you crazy for saying 'Transilvanian Hunger' is in the same genre as 'Grand Declaration..' but when I look at the motives and emotions of each album, I can sense a connection....

Plus, when Mayhem play their back catologue life (ie European Legions) it all runs together rather smoothely.

They only bands of the famous norwegian wave of black metal still playing black metal are Darkthrone and Carpathian Forest. I have a hard time calling Immortal's or Satyricon's latest offerings black metal. Also the likes of Mayhem and DHG have moved quite far from black metal.

"Vanhassa vara parempi."

Anyone into Thorns??

I personally love about 3 tracks, and like the rest... It's an up and down album. The first and last tracks are incredible though, and make the album.

I still feel that's black metal! It's cold, hard, and Hellhammer is blast beating all over the place, which causes me to blast beat in my own special way.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ormir
Bloodthorn is spineless little shit, and Moonfag and Satyr deserve my hatred for signing on that fucker.

Do you mean Blackthorn?

I presume you're referring to his condition after Varg.. you know..

Well, I wouldn't call him a spineless little shit.... sensible maybe.

I must not be as tr00 as all of you. I just can't get into Darkthrone or Mayhem. I do have and like all of Immortal's albums, my favorites being Pure Holocaust, Blizzard Beasts, and AtHoW.

I agree with Ormir, DHG's '666 International' is quite good. Thorns is OK. Zyklon and Myrkskog are damn good. And I think Aborym kick ass.

BTW, haven't heard the new Mayhem yet.

WTF?????????
KHOLD......... a "good example"?????
I think it's most boring and yawnning music I have listened to the last years..... and btw thier music is nothing different from Tulus....

Originally posted by Somberlain
I think as far as 'True ' black metal goes..The style has been gone for some time now..I have much faith in Immortal as I rank Sons of Northern Darkness among my greatest C.Ds...We just have to wait and see what it evolves into.

I like the evolution of Immortal too.

Originally posted by Dionysos
WTF?????????
KHOLD......... a "good example"?????
I think it's most boring and yawnning music I have listened to the last years..... and btw thier music is nothing different from Tulus....

Sure???? Thanks fot the tip, I'm running now to search a Tulus album...

@Profano: :D
Well yes, if you like Khold, you'll like Tulus! I think two members of Tulus play in Khold (that's why they sound EXACTLY the same)...