"The Gathering" question.

ChurchofMetal

Rattlehead
Jan 17, 2005
www.myspace.com
Andy, what amps did Eric Peterson and James Murphy use on "The Gathering"? People are saying that it's a Mesa Triple Rec or a Mesa Rackmount. You were there, what was used? I wanna know because I love the tone on this album.

I'm very curious about the mic they used to record Billy's vocals in this one. And, well, once I'm already such a demanding bastard, what FX/EQ did you used to mix it? :D The vocals sound magical in this album, any information would be of great help (I'm having a bad time with some vocal tracks right now...)
Thanx in advance, and... No need to congratulate thee for this amazing album. Just :headbang:

I actually prefer a normal 57, that beta is louder and slightly brighter.
If I remember right it was a CAD mic used for the main vox, don't know what model though.

Nitronium Blood said:
Rats! The Pod Xt does not model a 'Beta 57' just the 'SM 57'.

Can I get away with the 'SM 57' model by simply increasing the presence and treble a bit?

I guess that's a matter of whether you think you are "getting away" with anything in the first place. The POD XT is a nice sounding amp modeler, but....

It's amazing how almost every thread in this forum start with a specific question and we end up discussing the old 'to Pod or not to Pod... ...that's the matter' (holding a skull just for increase the dramatic effect).

Fabbio said:
It's amazing how almost every thread in this forum start with a specific question and we end up discussing the old 'to Pod or not to Pod... ...that's the matter' (holding a skull just for increase the dramatic effect).

I guess this is true, and it certainly wasn't my intention to push things this direction. But, ChurchofMetal asked a question to get at how the exact sound on "The Gathering" and then Nitronium chimed in that his POD wouldn't model all of the gear in the signal chain.
My point was that if you aren't even using the same amp/cab then it's sort of silly to concern yourself with whether you are using a modeled version of the same mic.
Most of us would be hard pressed to achieve that exact tone with all of the same equipment. Let alone 100% modeled. Like I said, the POD is a great tool but it isn't a real triple rec through a real cab in a real room into a real beta 57. Get it as close as you can and if you can get it in the ballpark you've done well.

Fabbio said:
Well, it is a case of merely trying to do what I can with that which I have. :Spin: I apologise to anybody I may have pissed off for dragging Line 6 into this.

Well, it is a case of merely trying to do what I can with that which I have. I apologise to anybody I may have pissed off for dragging Line 6 into this.

No need to apologize, Nitro!!! I was just pointing out a funny thing. Me myself I'm a PodXT addict.

I wish I had the money and the SPACE to crank a Rectifier to 10 and micing it with a 57 without fearing the instanct eviction.

Oh, well, whatever, Nevermind.