The Gathering was a fluke

DoReMi

Sep 3, 2002
Brussels/ Belgium
www.globaldomination.se
Don't get me wrong. I really like Testament. But to be fair, they have put out a lot of mediocrity since Practice What You Preach. Granted, some good songs too! But The Gathering is the one album in a long time that is flawless. Just a kick-ass thrash album that goes up there with the rest of them. I don't think they'll be able to pull it off again. This is my opinion. I'd appreciate it if we could argue it through.

well the gathering is definitely one of their better albums and it was quite the return to form since i didnt like demonic and low all that much though they had their great songs they just lacked something.

DoReMi said:
Don't get me wrong. I really like Testament..
Yeah, your opening statement really shows that. :err:

DoReMi said:
I don't think they'll be able to pull it off again. This is my opinion.
So basically what your saying is that you have no faith in a band that has proven to get better with every record. :err:

Another Dumbass!!!!

Low Kicked Ass!! Demonic Was A Death Metal Record--awesome!!!!

Fluke??? My Ass!!!!

I Honestly Love Every Testament Cd!!!

You Sir Are Gay And Jealous That After Years Of Beating Metal Into Our Heads..testament Just Gets Heavier And Stronger!!!

Dirt Junior said:
Another Dumbass!!!!

Fluke??? My Ass!!!!

You Sir Are Gay And Jealous That After Years Of Beating Metal Into Our Heads..testament Just Gets Heavier And Stronger!!!

LMFAO! Low is my favorite too Dirt.

TL was right when she said that "Fluke" was the wrong word. That like saying it was pure luck......................My ASS!!!!!

I know this thread was just put on here to start an argument, but I'll bite. The Gathering was the first in that style. It was different than anything they had ever created, yet still similar enough to still be Testament. You can't say it's a fluke until they make an album in the same style and it sucks. Was Demonic a fluke? It was the only death album they made. Maybe if they made another it would be better.

As for the quality of their music, next to Gathering, I think Low is next. After Practice What You Preach, the quality started to drop, and Low was a comeback. Heavier and better quality than the rest. Low paved the way for the Gathering. The next album which will be similar to The Gathering I believe, will tell you if The Gathering was fluke. Nevertheless, The Gathering is the best album to come out from any band, ever.

DoReMi said:
I don't think they'll be able to pull it off again. This is my opinion. I'd appreciate it if we could argue it through.

Exactly why don't you think they'll be able to pull it off again? Testament has made great albums in the past and will continue to do so. The Gathering was indeed a step in a different direction so cannot really be compared to anything prior to it, except maybe Low and Demonic to a lesser degree. Also, seeing as how Testament's lineup is still somewhat intact since The Gathering, I think we will see another great album from these guys.

What makes it a "fluke," dude? I could understand if you said that about some band that's only released one real classic...for instance, Pantera (my opinion). But I think that the majority of the metal world agrees that Testament has released at least two or three genuine classic albums; with those under their belt, it's hard to conclude that another classic is a fluke. I mean, hell, I think Low is their best album (though Souls and Ritual were really kinda boring), and that The New Order is really kinda overrated, so it's gonna be a job to convince me that The Gathering was just one last gasp of the 80's material.

Dirt Junior said:
Another Dumbass!!!!

Fluke??? My Ass!!!!

Why Is It That You Cannot Type Correctly?!

What the fuck is this? 4th grade? Learn proper punctuation and grammar dumbshit, then get back to me...

hiddenlegions said:
Yeah, your opening statement really shows that. :err:

So basically what your saying is that you have no faith in a band that has proven to get better with every record. :err:
I never said my opinion was that they got better with every record. I said that from Practice onwards, they have written mediocre material (unklike pre-Practice and post-Gathering)... maybe I didn't make it simple enough... no, wait... yes I did.

Bulletride said:
I know this thread was just put on here to start an argument, but I'll bite. The Gathering was the first in that style. It was different than anything they had ever created, yet still similar enough to still be Testament. You can't say it's a fluke until they make an album in the same style and it sucks. Was Demonic a fluke? It was the only death album they made. Maybe if they made another it would be better.

As for the quality of their music, next to Gathering, I think Low is next. After Practice What You Preach, the quality started to drop, and Low was a comeback. Heavier and better quality than the rest. Low paved the way for the Gathering. The next album which will be similar to The Gathering I believe, will tell you if The Gathering was fluke. Nevertheless, The Gathering is the best album to come out from any band, ever.
I don't agree with your last statement, but I can respect your opinion. A lot of it makes sense to me.

Pyrus said:
What makes it a "fluke," dude? I could understand if you said that about some band that's only released one real classic...for instance, Pantera (my opinion). But I think that the majority of the metal world agrees that Testament has released at least two or three genuine classic albums; with those under their belt, it's hard to conclude that another classic is a fluke. I mean, hell, I think Low is their best album (though Souls and Ritual were really kinda boring), and that The New Order is really kinda overrated, so it's gonna be a job to convince me that The Gathering was just one last gasp of the 80's material.
Do you even read the original posts? I said that all post-Practice albums had mediocre stuff on them... hence why Gathering was a fluke... never mind.