The 'geek/nerd/anime/comics/etc.' thread

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
Hi everyone!

Since I've noticed that we're a bunch of geeks (for starters me and Allfader with anime and Elvina with her elf costume), I thought I might as well create this thread :) .

I just finished watching 真マジンガー 衝撃! Z編 or Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen, and I must say it's one of the best mecha series I've seen in years. Arguably I haven't seen many recently, but this one was very dynamic and grasped me from the start. It's great to see good ol' Mazinger Z with today's animation, his movements are amazing!!! I also loved the soundtrack a lot, very moving and inspiring. If you have time, try to watch it!

shin-mazinger-shogeki-z-hen.jpg

Supa roboto, Majinga Zetto!!! :kickass: :worship:

I've watched Dragonball Z, Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist. DBZ I thought was boring, but I watched it to the end, just to give it a fair chance. I watched Naturo up to a bit into Shippuuden, then I realized that it had turned into DBZ with ninjas instead of alien monkeys. FMA I think is awesome, the story is emotional, multi layered and packed with action, but the show falls flat on its face when it tries to be funny.

Does this thread also incorporate games?

hahaha since when wearing fantasy costumes means being a nerd :p
i also dress up in my viking gear and paint my face every time i go to a viking/pagan/folk metal gig, i even got filmed by the Estonian tv because of that last time i went to see Ensiferum and Metsatöll. :lol: does that count as nerdy too :p

anyway, i mentioned that i play Magic the Gathering, and that does make me an uber nerd: i'm just about the only girl that i know or even ever heard of that plays it :lol: although i'm not following the new MtG releases anymore as i used to a few years ago... I also don't think there are more MtG players here that i could talk to :p

sincerely i'm not a big comics reader, but guys...i'm reading the best comic of my life. i wish you could read italian to enjoy this fucking hilarious comic.
the most blasphemous of all, Don Zauker. it's an italian comics (written in the language of my region, but it's quite famous in the country because of its wickedness) about this priest, Don zauker, which is an exorcist, the comic is full of critics and irony against church and this character is really evil, perverted and violent, stupid and genial, racist and so fucking amusing. you cannot read it without crying and laughting till death :lol:
he doesn't respect anyone, kids, old people, invalids, other priests, the pope, no one.
Don Zauker's most famous phrase is "il maligno me lo puppa" which traslated would sound more or less like "the devil sucks my dick"
he has his personal vision of religion and faith and he lives following his personal view.

don_zauker.jpg

don.jpg

anyway, i mentioned that i play Magic the Gathering, and that does make me an uber nerd: i'm just about the only girl that i know or even ever heard of that plays it :lol: although i'm not following the new MtG releases anymore as i used to a few years ago... I also don't think there are more MtG players here that i could talk to :p

i don't play magic, but i love all those complicate board games you have to play for hours, like for example Arkham Horror, the dunwitch horror (of course it's inspired to Lovecraft). i sometimes play d&d with friends.

hahaha since when wearing fantasy costumes means being a nerd :p
i also dress up in my viking gear and paint my face every time i go to a viking/pagan/folk metal gig, i even got filmed by the Estonian tv because of that last time i went to see Ensiferum and Metsatöll. :lol: does that count as nerdy too :p

I certainly don't dress up.... :Smug: But I *do* play D&D, or have in the past when I had a group. I regularly buy roleplaying books even though I haven't had a group in years and I geek the hell out on RPG video games all the time.

I never could justify MtG or any of those card games because they were money drains. D&D is all the fun and fantasy and strategy and group dynamics, without having to spend a certain sum of money every month in order to keep enjoying it.

I'm also a big fan of Order of the Stick, which is a webcomic about roleplaying.. we're so meta, it's sick. And, of course, I dig comics. That's actually a new thing. I could never get into them when I was younger, but as I've gotten older and discovered Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman I've come to enjoy them more and more.

Oh, and I listen to progressive and power metal. :p

Funny note: a couple years ago I went to see the Final Fantasy orchestra in Stockholm. Nobuo Uematsu was there (how fucking cool is that!?) and it was amazing. But the best part of it was this: I suddenly realized how many nerdy fucking metal dudes were there. Seriously, it was amazing. I should've counted the Opeth and Dark Tranquillity and Dimmu Borgir shirts and dudes with ponytails. I'd guess that at least a 1/3 of that crowd was obviously metal dudes. It made me realize how not alone I really am.. :lol:

you're so right about magic and other card games being the money drains: this is exactly the reason i stopped following the new releases! you've just built a new mighty deck with the new cards, haven't even properly tested it yet as the new set already comes out with some really sick cards that you must have in your deck if you don't want to get slaughtered in the 2nd turn! :mad:
but it's soooo cool to play, it's so strategic, complicated and calculating with its 10000 rules, i just wish it wasn't so money consuming :(

but i never played d&d, nor LARP.

i've noticed too, that about 60% of all people at all those fantasy fairs i go to during a year dressing up like vikings, elves, warriors etc, are more or less metalheads :lol: i guess it's not so weird after all...

I've watched Dragonball Z, Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist. DBZ I thought was boring, but I watched it to the end, just to give it a fair chance. I watched Naturo up to a bit into Shippuuden, then I realized that it had turned into DBZ with ninjas instead of alien monkeys. FMA I think is awesome, the story is emotional, multi layered and packed with action, but the show falls flat on its face when it tries to be funny.

Does this thread also incorporate games?

Of course it incorporates games! If I could add it to the title I would do so, but I can't :p .

Dragon Ball (not Z) is the best anime ever. Z is way too long, but since they started releasing Z Kai, which is a summarised/edited version with new and better animation, it has become one of my favourites. It's really the same but much shorter, ep. 31 was just released and compared to the original we'd be around ep. 52 or something.

No more 20 days so Namekuseijin explodes! :lol:

sincerely i'm not a big comics reader, but guys...i'm reading the best comic of my life. i wish you could read italian to enjoy this fucking hilarious comic.
the most blasphemous of all, Don Zauker. it's an italian comics (written in the language of my region, but it's quite famous in the country because of its wickedness) about this priest, Don zauker, which is an exorcist, the comic is full of critics and irony against church and this character is really evil, perverted and violent, stupid and genial, racist and so fucking amusing. you cannot read it without crying and laughting till death :lol:
he doesn't respect anyone, kids, old people, invalids, other priests, the pope, no one.
Don Zauker's most famous phrase is "il maligno me lo puppa" which traslated would sound more or less like "the devil sucks my dick"
he has his personal vision of religion and faith and he lives following his personal view.

don_zauker.jpg

don.jpg

WILL. DOWNLOAD. Best of all I can understand most things, I cracked up when I read 'il maligno me lo puppa' because of what it says and how it says :) hahaha puppa, in Spanish it's "chupa".

Funny note: a couple years ago I went to see the Final Fantasy orchestra in Stockholm. Nobuo Uematsu was there (how fucking cool is that!?) and it was amazing. But the best part of it was this: I suddenly realized how many nerdy fucking metal dudes were there. Seriously, it was amazing. I should've counted the Opeth and Dark Tranquillity and Dimmu Borgir shirts and dudes with ponytails. I'd guess that at least a 1/3 of that crowd was obviously metal dudes. It made me realize how not alone I really am.. :lol:

YES! Uematsu-san is awesome, I wish he would come here, but we're just a poor 3rd-world country who can't afford bringing people like that :( .

I love Star Trek so I guess I'm kind of a nerd as well.

livelong.jpg

I thought the new movie was pretty good.

you're so right about magic and other card games being the money drains: this is exactly the reason i stopped following the new releases! you've just built a new mighty deck with the new cards, haven't even properly tested it yet as the new set already comes out with some really sick cards that you must have in your deck if you don't want to get slaughtered in the 2nd turn! :mad:
but it's soooo cool to play, it's so strategic, complicated and calculating with its 10000 rules, i just wish it wasn't so money consuming :(

but i never played d&d, nor LARP.

i've noticed too, that about 60% of all people at all those fantasy fairs i go to during a year dressing up like vikings, elves, warriors etc, are more or less metalheads :lol: i guess it's not so weird after all...

Yeah! I hated that too! I used to play the Pokemon TCG :)p) and it was always like that. I stopped playing and sometimes I look at my über-deck with melancholic eyes. But the problem is that a lot of people here stopped playing too, we used to have official tournaments and all, but I don't think there're anymore. :(

Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum are the best Pokemon games ever. But crap, I can't find my DS.

I'll continue watching Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas, even though there're only 6 episodes released until now. Hmmm I should download new Gantz and Berserk manga too….

WILL. DOWNLOAD. Best of all I can understand most things, I cracked up when I read 'il maligno me lo puppa' because of what it says and how it says :) hahaha puppa, in Spanish it's "chupa".

ehehe yes, chupa is the right meaning :lol:
i'm not sure if you will find it to download, it's pretty underground, but on the web you can find some stories. i also fear you will have some problems with dialectical expressions, some friends of mine who read it, and they are from another part of the country, they have problems too, so if you need you can ask me.

this is one of the most famous little stories:
donzauker_dic05_a.jpg

2copiaoz2.jpg

^:lol: I like it, it's quite funny. Do you happen to have them all? How many are there? Could you send them to me as an attachment to my mail?

I'm downloading a torrrent of it, but it's downloading at around 0.8KB/s :p, so maybe I'll have it complete in three days :p .

i don't know exactly how many they are.
i don't have them downloaded but on paper.
the stories are printed on a newspaper called the Vernacoliere, it is a monthly satiric journal. and after some years, all the Don zauker's stories have been collected into comic books.

I went to a big World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King release party when it was released almost exactly a year ago, and I think it would be safe to say that at least 20% of the other attendees were metalheads in one way or the other. Mostly the "mainstream metalguy" types, you know, long hair, army pants and big black boots kinda look.

Defiance said:
Dragon Ball (not Z) is the best anime ever. Z is way too long, but since they started releasing Z Kai, which is a summarised/edited version with new and better animation, it has become one of my favourites. It's really the same but much shorter, ep. 31 was just released and compared to the original we'd be around ep. 52 or something.
That's pretty cool, I'm gonna check it out! Hadn't heard of it before, I'm really not an Anime fan, but I did watch DBZ when they were airing the episodes here during 1999-2000 and really loved it. Always wanted to re-watch the entire series but couldn't be bothered to download all the episodes, so apparently this Z Kai thing is just perfect for me.

I'm currently playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's like SMB3 with a touch of SMW, if that doesn't make you wet there's not much hope for you.

*wets himself* Yeah I don't have a Wii, IMO 'tis not worth it, but my gal does so maybe she'll buy it.

That's pretty cool, I'm gonna check it out! Hadn't heard of it before, I'm really not an Anime fan, but I did watch DBZ when they were airing the episodes here during 1999-2000 and really loved it. Always wanted to re-watch the entire series but couldn't be bothered to download all the episodes, so apparently this Z Kai thing is just perfect for me.

The US version is horrible IMO, totally censored and the voices were simply horrendous. Download the Kai, but with the original Japanese voices and you'll notice the difference.

What was the name of Mr Satan in the US? Hercule or something :lol:, pathetic. I loved the episode in which the entire stadium is cheering "Satan! Satan! Satan!" :lol: :p As usual it was almost banned here, but it wasn't. Sailor Moon sadly enough didn't make it here.

i've just finished to play a new game tonight...it's called "yes dark lord" and it's a sort of role playing game with cards.
it's fucking hiliarious and amusing. one player is the master of the game who gives a mission to his servants, those servants go and fail miserably the mission, so they must return to the lord and give him excuses and explanations about their failure.
it's not made for being a serious game, it's thought to have fun and to kid, it's not really important who wins and who loses, the fun is just to play the game.
you have some cards you have to use to build up your story, and some other to pass the buck to another player who takes all your faults and has to continue the story from where you left it, you have also cards to add a disturb to the narration of another player giving him extra suggestions about the plot.
if you are not convincing enought or if you stop the narration and start to stammer, or if you just bore to dark lord he casts a bad glance to you. the dark lord can guide the game as he wants, he can stop people, make questions, change interlocutor. he makes good and bad wheather.
when you have gained 3 bad glances you're punished for failing the mission, and you have the possibility to pray for your salvation.
the funny thing is that you have to build up a story using stupid suggestion cards like: the puppy, the fashion shoes, the soluble sword, the flying ship, the stupid goblin, the happy village, the shouting book, and so on.
i was the black lord muahahahaha :devil:

a new horizon has been opened tonight for role playing games :lol: