The Gothenburg Sound

The Lord Conqueror

I AM THE BLACK WIZARDS
May 26, 2002
In The Wordless Chamber
Hail all - When someone uses the term "the gothenburg sound" or says a band plays "Gothenburg", are hey refering to dual melody lines like In Flames kinda stuff, or a more Dissection/Early ATG multi part harmony?

I've read that Dissection were credited with the "Gothenburg sound" before, and the other day I heard someone call Shdows Fall "thrash with Gothenburg", and it just makes one think.

LC

I think In Flames is the "base" of Gothenburg Sound.
Other Bands take some parts of that style for there music.
Thats my opinion!

I've heard being said that Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and At The Gates were the ones who formed the Gothenburg sound, so i guess it's all of them, each in their own unique way.

I always thought of the Gothenburg sound being single-note riffing, like damn near everything on Slaughter of the Soul. :lol:

The gothenburg sound today is a disgrace..It is nothing like it originally was..Dissection, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Eucharist layed down the orginal sound with their first albums..then it was taken over by In Flames and has pretty much gone to shit.. I hope when Dissection return they bring with them the original sound and take back their throne..

I think, In Flames are completly Gothenburg. The others have planted the roots...
Reroute to Remain is shit...
No Death Metal ;) ...
But In Flames weren't never Real Death Metal...
Confusing...

HAIL TO ATG

hmm
Jester Race is cool...
And Dark Tranquillity is real cool too
but I only know Damage Done
And the singer is shit

@Chuut-Riit
Ich glaub das soll Frankfurt heißen (falls du diesen Thread jemals wieder lesen solltest!)

Originally posted by Mothman
hmm
Jester Race is cool...
And Dark Tranquillity is real cool too
but I only know Damage Done
And the singer is shit

@Chuut-Riit
Ich glaub das soll Frankfurt heißen (falls du diesen Thread jemals wieder lesen solltest!)

Oh danke, gut dass du es mir sagst..peinlich :eek:

Well I have Damage Done and further some songs of the Gallery and some of the really early stuff (Skywards and Of chaos and eterneal night)
I like Mikael Stanne's vocals.

Dissection and At The Gates created the so-called Gothenburg sound. All others followed.

Quite simple really.

element

those who don't like Stanne's vocals shouldn't really listen to death metal.go find another genre.
He is the archetype of a death metal vocalist.

Originally posted by commandante
those who don't like Stanne's vocals shouldn't really listen to death metal.go find another genre.
He is the archetype of a death metal vocalist.

Hahahaha!!
johan liiva (ex-arch enemy vocalist) is even better than mikael!!!
Hahahaha!!

When someone uses the term "The Gothenburg sound" they are either referring to Dissection/At the gates or modern bands such as In flames/Shadows fall.
The term can be used in both a negative and positive way. For instance, a fan of In flames might say something like:
"Damn.. this new Gardenian album is just SO Gothenburg!! You HAVE to buy it DUDE!!!"
And a true, grim, necro black metal fan might say:
"Grr.. fuck Mayhem and Maniac!! They have been going more and more Gothenburg since Dead killed himself!!"

So you see.. You can never be sure of what "The Gothenburg sound" really is. You just have to use your own instincts or something...

stanne is like the best growling vocalist there is!! i think there are different types of the gothenburg sound...at the gates and dissection somewhat started it, but i think dark tranquillity and in flames really got it going (remember skydancer is a 1993 release!) as a real genre almost. nowadays there are many variations, new in flames probably isnt it anymore, but there are extremes like soilwork to new dark tranquillity (which is really good)

Mothman said:
Hahahaha!!
johan liiva (ex-arch enemy vocalist) is even better than mikael!!!
Hahahaha!!

You talk like if you were and expert, but you only know the "Damage Done" cd, you don´t have the right to say if Mikael Stanne is a shit vocalist or not, because don´t know a shit about Dark Tranquillity, you even didn´t knew that Dark Tranquillity´s original vocalist was Anders Fridén, man, are you metalhead? And you say that In Flames are the creators of the Gothenburg sound, which is a very abstract thing to define. You´re so wise...