why the gothenburg hate?

5thSeason

agent of brutality
Feb 8, 2004
Beyond The Unknown
www.dmccaulley.com
I dont understand why so many metal fans hate gothenburg bands so much? have you ever checked out metal-archives.com? its like a fuckin club for gothenburg bashing, I was actually banned from there for submitting a band from gothenburg.

Anyway, I agree that there are some bands int he gothenburg scene that suck, but the same can be said for ANY genre, or scene. There are so many amazing bands from gothenburg (in flames, dark tranquillity, soilwork, arch enemy, ect...) that people just attack for no reason. Obviously everyone has different musical taste, but that shouldnt keep you from recognizing amazing musicians. Im not a blues fan at all, but I love stevie ray vaughn, the man was astounding with a guitar. Just because i dont like blues doesnt stop me from appreciating some highly skilled musicians in that genre. So why the gothenburg hate? I have heard the phrase "maiden worship" tossed around by gothenburg haters quite often, but what the fuck is wrong with maiden!?!?! Calling them posers for having musical influences just isnt fair. I saw an interview with Rob Zombie one time, and he put the whole "poser" thing into perspective... "You can call a metal or hard rock band posers all you want, but truth be told we are all just ripping off Black Sabbath."

you know... i had a point when i started to write this, but its late and I think i got too far off track, sorry if this lacks a point, or makes no sense =P

The vast majority is just bad. I like Eucharist, At the Gates (Terminal Spirit Disease) and early Dark Tranquillity. In Flames and Soilwork are both terrible. Arch Enemy's Stigmata is pretty good...when Angela joined they became shit.

We all need enemies, but people on internet forums need even more. It's as simple as that. Why they waste their time bitching about bands they don't like is completely beyond me though.
(I'm a huge fan of practically everything melodic and Swedish, old and new, btw.)

My guess is that because bands like InFlames and Soilwork are so unbelievably shithouse they give all the rest of it a bad name, so a general consensus is formed that all Gothenberg bands suck.

In Flames first cd's are pretty good. But now, a few years later, they sound like shit to me. Still, I've nothing against them. I Just doesn't like their music.

I don't understand either. Perhaps it is because some of the bands like In Flames and Soilwork sold out and turned to total shit. Or maybe it's because they are refered to as "melodic death metal" when they are obviously not death metal. I don't know.

I generally cannot stand Swedish melo-death. I listened to some At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Ablaze My Sorrow a while ago, and rather liked what I heard - the first couple of listens. The third of fourth time I listened to them, though, I'd grown tired of them. The more I listened to them, the more I disliked them. Most of the songs were just too catchy, and became boring and dull quickly.

I mostly enjoy the early melodic death bands and albums. the way some of the gothenburg bands are going and some of the new ones coming out just dont appeal to me.

By the way. Sacrilege rules!

a total asshat? lol, god u are the biggest prick on these forums. Actually i didnt even use their forums, I joined, and on the first day went around adding albums and EPs that werent listed for a bunch of bands (exhorder, ceremonial oath, suidakra, ect...). I also scanned a bunch of album cover and extracted band logos for at least 15 bands whos logos on metal-archives were either low quallity, or just plain text. I try to submit a band from gothenburg and my account gets banned, and i get an email form an admin saying something about how gothenburg sucks.

This was like a year ago, andi dont even remember what username i had on there.

Gothenburg bands in general, especially IF and Soilwork, are just some of the most accessible metal. Whether you like the music or not, for most people that's just a good reason to always bash and say how "gay" it is or something. The quality of the actual music itself isn't always important, but the more commercial a band is, the more likely they are to be called something retarded like "gay music for faggot homo queers" by a bunch of tr00 br00tal metalheads. i think thats more of a general idea, rather than personal. i know a lot of people think its boring personally, and theres nothing wrong with that.

henrikmain said:
I generally cannot stand Swedish melo-death. I listened to some At The Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Ablaze My Sorrow a while ago, and rather liked what I heard - the first couple of listens. The third of fourth time I listened to them, though, I'd grown tired of them. The more I listened to them, the more I disliked them. Most of the songs were just too catchy, and became boring and dull quickly.
That's pretty much my opinion. I liked most bands with that sounds the first couple times I listened to them but it bored me after a few more listens. I prefer music a little harder to get into...I usually appreciate it for a longer period of the time then the music I like right away.

personally i love the gothenburg sound and the whole music that scene is producing, but do agree that the newer shit from in flames and soilwork is pretty bad comparibly. i'd still listen to it over half the metal out there today though.

Ben_t said:
That's pretty much my opinion. I liked most bands with that sounds the first couple times I listened to them but it bored me after a few more listens. I prefer music a little harder to get into...I usually appreciate it for a longer period of the time then the music I like right away.

Same here :)

I don't think it's that Gothenburg is too catchy, but too soft. Bands like Suffocation and Dying Fetus can get very catchy, but you don't hear people as talking as much shit about them. For me personally a lot of Gothenburg lacks too much in heaviness as well, but I would take a catcy death metal band like Suffocation over a very non-catchy band like Immolation any day.