The Gothenburg Sound

ı thınk at the gates and dissection are the roots of gothenburg sound.then dark tranquıllıty followed them.the gallery -d.t ıs one of the best releases of gothenburg sound.and ı thınk stanne kıcks ass.he ıs a great sınger.his voice is powerful and he use ıt very aggressively.and he is very good at the concerts.

I guess 'Skydancer' was the first official Gothenburg release, although a band as Internal Decay has got the Gothenburg vibe too! And don't forget the Finnish Sentenced (North from here) or old Dismember. It has to begin somewhere.

The Gallery by dark tranquillity defines gothenberg today. being that ATG and Dissection are no longer around [well, dissection is coming back..], the sound has changed. the gothenberg sound now has keyboards in it a lot of times too nowadays..

i say fuck it all and listen to whats good.

I think the great thing about the Gothenburg sound is that although probably one band did it first, it came out of an area from many different bands. I mean look at Bay Area thrash, I'm sure those guys didn't say, hey lets write riffs like metallica, or lets right Exodus riffs. No, it was a community of bands and they had a simmilar sound. Thats why its not called the At The Gates Sound, or Dark Tranquility sound, Its the gothenburg sound.

BTW, any music with growling vocals is Death Metal. The band Death had screaming vocals which brought about the term death metal. I mean, what metal band hasn't lyrically dwelt on death? Why would that name come about about a genre of metal? Its because of the vocal style. Purist will argue that Venom started black metal but in reality, Black Metal is just a form of Death metal.

Siren said:
I've heard being said that Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and At The Gates were the ones who formed the Gothenburg sound, so i guess it's all of them, each in their own unique way.

That's what I always thought...

THE GOTHENBURG SOUND

Oh, what to say about it all. I guess it has been used in many ways over the years… Originally I guess the term was invented to distinguish the scene in Gothenburg from the one in Stockholm. When Stockholm was mainly fat guitars, growling vocals, relentless productions and bassy heaviness – Gothenburg was mainly something else. So, a term was eventually invented in smaller Swedish metal zines.

1. Gothenburg bands tended to base their songs much more on melodies, which at times draws the music away from rock and towards pop.

2. The bands usually have a clearer sound, and less brutality. Studio Fredman has been a factor here (opposed to Stockholms Studio Sunlight). The guitars aren’t as crushing, and the drum work is usually more sterile.

3. The vocals are screamed rather than grunted.

Originators of the Gothenburg sound includes Intoxicate, Ceremonial Oath and Eucharist.

The perfectors of the sound was Dissection (even if they aren’t actually from Gothenburg, but Stromstad….but it’s in the area) and At the Gates.

And the one who milked it was Dark Tranquillity, In Flames etc.

Well, well. You might want to know that in Sweden, the Gothenburg sound also refers to the way in which people from Gothenburg talks. Their dialect sound strangely happy, “gay” and stupied. You know, like a Frenchman speaking in English… I guess that has infected the music somehow…

/Daniel

Mothman said:
I think, In Flames are completly Gothenburg. The others have planted the roots...
Reroute to Remain is shit...
No Death Metal ;) ...
Confusing...

HAIL TO ATG

And I quote, "But In Flames weren't never Real Death Metal" Due to the fact that you are an idiot, your opinion has no bearing on anything whatsoever. Must I correct the rest of your little post?

Gothenburg is death metal with melodic riffage...At The Gates, Ceremonial Oath, Dissection, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, Bodom, Limp Bizkit