The Grand Conjuration!

FRUGiHOYi

"Since 1981"
Jul 11, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've never had a problem with this song, but it seems a lot of people don't like it. Why??? My God, I've found a new appreciation for it today. It's one of the best Opeth songs. Put it on, turn it up, listen closely, and discuss.

It's only slightly too long at the end. The first 8 minutes are perfect especially from the solo through the part where he screams the title. Definitely in...my top 20 Opeth songs at least lol.

Yup probably in my Opeth top 5, awesome track. The repetitiveness is IMHO actually a strength on this song, the lyrics are reflected in the music perfectly - and I don't mean in a dull, monotonous way. There's a purposeful boiling-under-the-surface energy, like brooding magic waiting to erupt - and it finally does. Pure awesomeness!

very fun song to jam to on bass or play on drums, boring song to listen to. endless possibilities for bass fills in this one.

I think it is a good song but whenever I want to hear a heavy song with an effective use of repetitiveness I turn to Wreath instead.

THEEEE GRAAAANDDD CONNNNJUUUUU---RAAAAAAA-TIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

The above is enough.

It's alright, I just don't understand why it was chosen as the single. It works well in the context of the album, not so much on its own.

Oh and the video fucking sucks.

Some good posts, which I agree with.

The song is repetitive. If it ended at 7 min 40, it would be pretty epic (bit shorter than your usual, and perhaps another Demon of the Fall). But when it goes into the verse again, I ask myself, 'why?'.

One of the main reasons why this song is disliked is due to the hype it had. For one, it became a single and Opeth's first ever film clip (if we don't include Harvest). I know I shouldn't care what others think, but the thought that many people's introduction to one of the greatest bands ever would be this song, worried me. On top of that, the clip is not what I expected and I'm not a fan. Opeth is a very humble group of guys, and the clip seemed like your typical egotistical brootal experience.

Lastly, when you compare it to the likes of Ghost and Hounds, it doesn't stand a chance. This isn't an insult to the band, but instead is a big compliment.

Some good posts, which I agree with.

The song is repetitive. If it ended at 7 min 40, it would be pretty epic (bit shorter than your usual, and perhaps another Demon of the Fall). But when it goes into the verse again, I ask myself, 'why?'.

One of the main reasons why this song is disliked is due to the hype it had. For one, it became a single and Opeth's first ever film clip (if we don't include Harvest). I know I shouldn't care what others think, but the thought that many people's introduction to one of the greatest bands ever would be this song, worried me. On top of that, the clip is not what I expected and I'm not a fan. Opeth is a very humble group of guys, and the clip seemed like your typical egotistical brootal experience.

Lastly, when you compare it to the likes of Ghost and Hounds, it doesn't stand a chance. This isn't an insult to the band, but instead is a big compliment.
I think it's an insult because TCG is much better than Ghost.

I actually don't mind the repetition of it, it is something different, but then again I don't also think there should be a new riff every 10 seconds. I think the song has a rather sinister atmosphere and there is a lot of stuff that creeps up in the background (percussion, acoustic guitars, organs, eerie guitar noise) that actually give the song a rather cool vibe. Lots of subtlety in there that I think.

I perhaps do agree with the comments about it being a sinlge, but Opeth has never been a 'singles band' and I don't think it would matter which song they released as a single, it probably really wouldn't work.

OMFG. Seriously. I feel enlighten! I was driving back home this morning and I often put Ghost Reveries, but like.. only the first 5-6 songs. Today I decided to put The Grand Conjuration. Damn, this song is so great! Yes, repetitive. But the growls! And "THE GRAND CONJURATION". Wow. And I saw that song live in Quebec, so damn fucking great. Now I cannot see why people don't like it, except the fact that people are not patient, because yes it's a little repetitive. But :kickass:!

And I didn't like it before ¬¬, I feel so sorry for myself. Oh yeah, the clip sucks. Lol.. toilet. :lol: