The Grand Conjuration

It reminds me of the band "Bury your Dead"

And also the clean part sort of reminds me of the "Peel Myself" song from Damnation.
That little interlude where mike is like "awaiting word on whats to come"

it reminds me that everyone needs to stop talking about it and giving their worthless opinions... everyone should play who can be the quietest until the album comes out

BreathingShadow said:
it reminds me that everyone needs to stop talking about it and giving their worthless opinions... everyone should play who can be the quietest until the album comes out

Its not a opinion idiot... I am not saying its crappy or really good.. I am just saying it reminds me of Amen Corner.....

the thing is, only in nectar are those 2 chords, so i recognized that immediately

Dont think it sounds like anything else, no Nectar, no Meshuggah, and no they didnt change their style. This is Opeth, all the way, they never disappoint!

Well, some of opeth's guitar work in TGC reminds me of meshuggah-based-musicianship. But, let's face it, the dude has nothing on Mike's vocals, and that's usually where all the power lies. TGC has AMAZING growls.

Hoahmaru said:
Its not a opinion idiot... I am not saying its crappy or really good.. I am just saying it reminds me of Amen Corner.....
...which is still your opinion. for example, I could say that it reminds me of a Britney Spears song. does that mean Opeth are starting to sound like Britney Spears? no. it would mean that I think they are. see what I'm saying? there is a difference between "fact" and "opinion"

The growls are good. Reminds me of Blackwater Park. I really dig the parts where he is whispering, but it's a growling whisper. I wonder if that will be throughout the album.

Alcapoth said:
Well, some of opeth's guitar work in TGC reminds me of meshuggah-based-musicianship. But, let's face it, the dude has nothing on Mike's vocals, and that's usually where all the power lies. TGC has AMAZING growls.

NeverIsForever said:
...which is still your opinion. for example, I could say that it reminds me of a Britney Spears song. does that mean Opeth are starting to sound like Britney Spears? no. it would mean that I think they are. see what I'm saying? there is a difference between "fact" and "opinion"

you didnt get the point imo. if it would remind you of britney spears it would be a fact that it reminded you of britney spears. and it is a fact that TGC reminded the thread starter of amen corner. i guess that was what he was talking about...

...besides i think it sounds nothing like amen corner...

About the similarity with Nectar, it are actually the first three chords and furthermore they are also used in Demon Of The Fall (the acoustic/'chorus' bit).

Goober said:
the thing is, only in nectar are those 2 chords, so i recognized that immediately

Actually the first 3 chords are the same first three octaves that are at the end of nectar, it just doesn't go back up again at the end of the riff. :p

ubiquitos said:
is there a link to this song anywhere? sorry if its been asked before

You really missed the boat on that one. It'll be available in high quality streaming on the internet July 19th I believe. In the meantime, you'd have to use more nefarious means to hear said song.

golbez said:
^^^
really? is this official?

Yeah. The band found out about the pathetically low quality radio rip, so they're going to stream the song on their website and make an iTunes download available on July 19th.