The Grand Conjuration

BurningSky said:
hahaha, you just said their new song would appear to trendy fans, you're such an idiot.
I'm not an Opeth nubie by any means, and I KNEW that fans would flame away with this post. I'm a longtime Opeth fan from back in the '99. I'm not judging Ghost Relelries by way of this one track "Grand Conjuration" but when I listen to Opeth I FEEL something, either melancholy, or inspired, or touched. I feel nothing after listining to this track.
While,The Grand Conjuration is radically "different" from anything Opeth has released before, but ya know, this track isn't all that different or groundbreaking from the mainstream stuff ya hear on the radio/MTV everyday.
Opeth took a more streamlined appoach to the Grand Conjuration keeping a long length to the song. However, the Grand Conjuration is not epic by any means.

Little to no solos? Mike shreds the best solo of his career in the middle of TGC. You never know, this song could fit very well in the flow of an album. They never really did focus on making radio friendly songs...

deathbearer said:
I'm not an Opeth nubie by any means, and I KNEW that fans would flame away with this post. I'm a longtime Opeth fan from back in the '99. I'm not judging Ghost Relelries by way of this one track "Grand Conjuration" but when I listen to Opeth I FEEL something, either melancholy, or inspired, or touched. I feel nothing after listining to this track.
While,The Grand Conjuration is radically "different" from anything Opeth has released before, but ya know, this track isn't all that different or groundbreaking from the mainstream stuff ya hear on the radio/MTV everyday.
Opeth took a more streamlined appoach to the Grand Conjuration keeping a long length to the song. However, the Grand Conjuration is not epic by any means.

You of course have a right to your opinion however...

you have underscored the reasons that Opeth wasn't thrilled with the rip being distributed. I cannot understand how you could make such judgments on such things as production with such a rip or make simillar assumptions about the direction of the band with a single song out of context with the actual records flow. You may indeed have some valid points in the future, but your timing and your baseless comments have you bordering on trolling. Be prepared to have all of your thoughts and opinions dismissed outright before the record is released.

Have a nice day...:devil:

well, he's wrong in that it sounds nothing like tool, but opeth are trendy as fuck within the metal scene and have been for a while

Mr Samsara said:
You of course have a right to your opinion however...

you have underscored the reasons that Opeth wasn't thrilled with the rip being distributed. I cannot understand how you could make such judgments on such things as production with such a rip or make simillar assumptions about the direction of the band with a single song out of context with the actual records flow. You may indeed have some valid points in the future, but your timing and your baseless comments have you bordering on trolling. Be prepared to have all of your thoughts and opinions dismissed outright before the record is released.

Have a nice day...:devil:
I hope YOU have a nice day, because I'm soo depresed listening to this track TGC. First of all, I've been on this forum since '02, I'm no troll. Secondly, I will llisten to the new Opeth release Ghost Revelries when it comes out, but one would have to be a dimwit not to realize the radical change of sound on TGC compared to previous Opeth releases. The first few seconds of the song sounds like MINISTRY for crying out loud.
Yes, there is ONE decent guitar solo in TGC but it's low in the mix, as the rythm guitar riff of daan, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, daan, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun overrides it in the mix.There is a prominent keyboard solo however. I remember the days whn Mike and Peter traded nice melodic solos. Perhaps it's the production in this song, but yeh, ick, the first few minutes of this song had me runnning scared.
It's not so much the rip, but the music itself. I honestly thought I dl a fake, or a remixed version of an Opeth song.
I hope to the metal gods that this song was just a rough mix (?) and Opeth would and could expand on those riffs ( instead of that god damn cheesy nu metal riff in TGC) with thier more progressive qualities.
Opeth's fans are not JUST delusional fanboys/girls that think "Ohh EVERYTHING Opeth does it GREAT" nor do I come to this forum to relentllessly bash Opeth becuase I've been a geniune fan. Many Opeth fans compare each song, each release as a progression from other releases. Most Opeth fans offer at worst, constructive criticism to the band, not just delusional fanboyism based soley on thier back catalog.
The song TGC is "streamlined" past the progressive tendencies Opeth has had, for nu metal riffage, and almost industrial nu metal production. It's just weird. I didn't mind Steven Wilson's production in the BWP/Deliverance/Damnation era as it fit Opeth perfectly.
Whatever man, I still have my old Opeth releases to keep me happy, but Opeth make a much better progressive/death doom band that opting for nu/almost symphonic keyboard saturated industrial nu metal band production.
I hope this is just a fluke, and Ghost Relevries doesn't sound like this, but really, I dunno man.
I'll listen to the new Opeth release, but as a fan, I have a right, to express my feelings of utter disdain for this track.
A ripp, btw, has nothing to do with production. Unless this track was just a demo without live drums.

deathbearer said:
I hope YOU have a nice day, because I'm soo depresed listening to this track TGC. First of all, I've been on this forum since '02, I'm no troll. Secondly, I will llisten to the new Opeth release Ghost Revelries when it comes out, but one would have to be a dimwit not to realize the radical change of sound on TGC compared to previous Opeth releases. The first few seconds of the song sounds like MINISTRY for crying out loud.
Yes, there is ONE decent guitar solo in TGC but it's low in the mix, as the rythm guitar riff of daan, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, daan, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun overrides it in the mix.There is a prominent keyboard solo however. I remember the days whn Mike and Peter traded nice melodic solos. Perhaps it's the production in this song, but yeh, ick, the first few minutes of this song had me runnning scared.
It's not so much the rip, but the music itself. I honestly thought I dl a fake, or a remixed version of an Opeth song.
I hope to the metal gods that this song was just a rough mix (?) and Opeth would and could expand on those riffs ( instead of that god damn cheesy nu metal riff in TGC) with thier more progressive qualities.
Opeth's fans are not JUST delusional fanboys/girls that think "Ohh EVERYTHING Opeth does it GREAT" nor do I come to this forum to relentllessly bash Opeth becuase I've been a geniune fan. Many Opeth fans compare each song, each release as a progression from other releases. Most Opeth fans offer at worst, constructive critism to the band, not just delusional fanboyism based soley on thier back catalog.
The song TGC is "streamlined" past the progressive tendencies Opeth has had, for nu metal riffage, and almost industrial nu metal production. It's just weird. I didn't mind Steven Wilson's production in the BWP/Deliverance/damnation era as it fit Opeth perfectly.
Whatever man, I still have my old Opeth releases to keep me happy, but opeth make a much better progressive/death doom band that opting for nu/almost symphonic keyboard saturated industrial nu metal band production.
I hope this is just a fluke, and Ghost Relevries doesn't sound like this, but really, I dunno man.
I'll listen to the new Opeth release, but as a fan, I have a right, to express my feelings of utter disdain for this track.
A ripp, btw, has nothing to do with production. Unless this track was just a demo without live drums.

You don't like Opeth's new direction. End of the story.

deathbearer said:
Opeth's fans are not JUST delusional fanboys/girls that think "Ohh EVERYTHING Opeth does it GREAT" nor do I come to this forum to relentllessly bash Opeth becuase I've been a geniune fan. Many Opeth fans compare each song, each release as a progression from other releases. Most Opeth fans offer at worst, constructive criticism to the band, not just delusional fanboyism based soley on thier back catalog.
The song TGC is "streamlined" past the progressive tendencies Opeth has had, for nu metal riffage, and almost industrial nu metal production. It's just weird. I didn't mind Steven Wilson's production in the BWP/Deliverance/Damnation era as it fit Opeth perfectly.
Whatever man, I still have my old Opeth releases to keep me happy, but Opeth make a much better progressive/death doom band that opting for nu/almost symphonic keyboard saturated industrial nu metal band production.

Oh I get it, Opeth are industrial now. I definately hear industrial in production of this song. I agree with you about the industrial part, because it sounds industrial. Strings are now industrial, that's why this song is industrial, because strings are used.

the song has grown on me but I still have problems near the end where I think it does not sound really inspired.

I like the solo but when i hear it, I don't feel he wrote the solo for that song. I feel he wrote a solo and did put it somewhere over a riff telling himself: after a couple of listens, fans are going to get used to it and will like it. It worked well for this one but i don't think that's the case in the middle where the song cuts and after that where a lot of fans did compare the riff with serenity painted death (don't find them similars). I don't really love thoses 2 parts.

deathbearer said:

Thanks for wishing me a nice day. I will certainly enjoy whatever is left of it. I meant it when I said that to you as well, btw. I never called you a troll either, but the overall sense of what you have been saying seems premature which I thought I explained, so it seemed to "possibly" point to a trolling attempt.... hence my "bordering" comment. I also opened my comments with a statement about how you had a right to have and express your opinion. All I did was advise you of your timing. Many.. if not most (and I guess this includes me) may dismiss your opinions as unfair... viewed as not giving the record it's fair evaluation once it's released. Do what you want, but like I said... be prepared to have many posters dismiss your opinion with a simple "wait until the record is out" comment.

Ok, then.

Out.:devil:

anyone else getting some strange kind of feeling that the very first part (00:00 - 00:08) and the part beginning with 6:20 somewhat do not fit the whole thing? they make me want to jump around like 'only for the weak' by in flames but they don't sound 'serious' enough to be part of an opeth tune?

Noone knows the flow of the album. I wouldn't be surprised, come this September, everyone is going to be getting on this forum saying how great TGC. Give it time, who cares how it sounds on that ripp? I wish I never heard the ripp so I didn't have to hear all the homosexuals complaining about how bad the song is. A low-quality song is always going to sound bad (even if it is Opeth.) I think we're missing a lot of atmospheric stuff that the ripp doesn't pick up.

Forest of Åsatrú said:
Noone knows the flow of the album. I wouldn't be surprised, come this September, everyone is going to be getting on this forum saying how great TGC.

I was actually thinking the same think.

£xil on t}{£ Fa\\ said:
but did the band choose tgc? I don't think so*. We know this song because the dj on sirius played it. If it wasn't the case, maybe they would be playing another song from ghost reveries in concert.

Absolutely.