The great Nostalgia thread

I grew up on music like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, and Metallica, as well as classical. I remember some kids would come to my house when I was 6 and I would put on some Jethro Tull. They'd look at me like, "What the hell is wrong with her..." My point is, it's been like that for me all my life. No one here listens to ANY of the music I listen to.

@Northern Lights: There's nothing like Katatonia. :D

@MacSec: I'm glad you've really grown to appreciate music. :)

Incendiare said:
@Northern Lights: There's nothing like Katatonia. :D

@MacSec: I'm glad you've really grown to appreciate music. :)
And I'm glad you've spelled at least one of our names right
wink.gif

: p

And hey, there's of course nothing wrong with you.. this just means your whole life you've been at a higher level than all those other punk kids :D

Dark_Jester said:
I kinda started in the deep end ... I first started listening to metal ...when I was about 15, and dived straight into the heavy atmospheric stuff without really going through the more mainstream stuff like Metallica and Megadeth.
Your description - fairly edited - suits on me too. I became a "metalhead" when I was 14 or 15. And I didn't start with Led Zep, Metallica or Maiden as most people do. Today, I've still only heard one Metallica album and one Iron Maiden album.

Northern Lights said:
Then friends of mine made me listen to 'dansband' as well
YIAAARGH! Blasphemy! :yell: :rolleyes:

MagSec4 said:
And I'm glad you've spelled at least one of our names right
wink.gif

: p

And hey, there's of course nothing wrong with you.. this just means your whole life you've been at a higher level than all those other punk kids :D
Note to self: Proof-read your freakin' posts. :p

I'm a late one, as always. Got into metal in my 20s. Before that, it was a mixture of classical, pop and ballads.

I grew up listening to what my father used to listen to: pink floyd, dire straits and so, and some italian music, like zucchero (i still love some of his older songs :p). then i didnt' listen to anything in particular until i was about 12 and i started to like nirvana, metallica, etc... then when i was 13/14 some friends made me listen to death, blind guardian and some other bands, later dream theater too. after this, with time, i started to listen to a lot of bands and a lot of genres

When I was 10 I listened to mainstream music like Ace of Base... It didn't last long, as I was 11 when I discovered Corrosion of Conformity and started listening to stuff not on the top 40. I got into music like Kyuss, Down, Tina Turner (the blues rock stuff from the 70's), Godflesh, and Slayer.

I still adore C.O.C. and Down but don't listen to the others any more.

I can't say I honestly listened to music at all until about 8th grade (13 or 14 yrs old). I'd listen to popular stuff (alternative) while in the car with my dad before that, but I never made any effort before age 13 I think. At that point, I hit Metallica, and hard. That lasted till about 15-16, when my best friend found his cousin's metal mag and saw something about Dimmu Borgir. So being bored, and having just discovered Napster, I went and downloaded about 3 songs per band on Nuclear Blast and Century Media. My favs from then are pretty much the same as now... Kovenant, DT, Dimmu Borgir, and Katatonia. Later came Opeth, Emperor, and more industrial stuff like Rammstein. The rest is history...

~Kovenant

I started out on Metallica around 9 or 10, I always had classic rock around growing up as well. The Star Wars soundtracks were what really got me into music as a kid, then I went through a lengthy punk/hardcore phase, until I discovered bands like At the Gates and In Flames, I haven't bought a punk CD in five years because of it. It took me a while to discover metal because where I'm from there isn't much of a metal scene, it's all punk and hardcore, and I literally didn't know anybody that listened to metal, I still don't really have any friends that are into it, 90% of the bands I listen to now I've had to find on my own, through blind purchases and web surfing

got interested seriously in the mid 90s (age 10+) when I discovered kent and nordman (swedish folk-pop/rock). oh, and meat loaf. :) at the age of 14 or something I heard blind guardian for the first time, which lead me into the metal scene (except the little I had heard because of my cousin).
and now it has come to the point that I just don´t know what to answer when people ask what music I listen to. damn labels. :bah:

Golden Hall said:
and I literally didn't know anybody that listened to metal, I still don't really have any friends that are into it, 90% of the bands I listen to now I've had to find on my own, through blind purchases and web surfing

I was/am the same way. I didn't have friends who listened to metal growing up, and well, things haven't changed much. Back in the 80's I read metal magazines and heard stuff on the radio, but now I find that the internet has been the greatest tool to finding new music. Sometimes I download a song here or there but a lot of times I just go by the written descriptions/reviews of the music when deciding what to get. Hey it works though, I rarely buy anything I don't like.

My main introduction to metal was MC Hammer - "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" That was when I was 8 or 9. Then that set the tone for the next album that I really got into, which was Metallica - Black Album. That was from when I was 10. And then there were various bands like Weezer and other gay as in happy bands.