The great Nostalgia thread

Child of Time

Voice of reason
Feb 1, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Visit site
Teh subject: What music did you like as kid?

When I was a cute little boy, I really loved Swedish 80's post-punk rockband "Imperiet" !:kickass: Heavy rock in Swedish. I also liked some Swedish 'proggrock' from the mid seventies :ill: :puke: like "Hoola Bandoola Band" :puke:

I might recall having seen a thread like this a looong time ago, but as we all know, discussing the same old subjects over and over again is a common part of social life. So lean back, remember, and share! :) *blurry, dreaming sound*

Well as long back as I could remember Ive been listening to metal or classic rock. My older sisters were into Metallica, Slayer,etc in the 80's. So it was on natural that I would like them. When I was around 7 my sister got me a Ride the Lightning shirt :D.

My father has listened to Deep Purple, King Crimson, Jetrho Tull, Black Sabbath, etc as far back as I could remember. We used to go for drives listening to We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll :D.

So my fondness of metal and classic rock stems from my sisters and dad :D.

Nick(memories)

When I was 11 years old those 80's hair bands were getting really popular here in the USA (not sure if they were popular everywhere else). I started listening to stuff like Bon Jovi, Poison, Ratt, Warrant, etc. It's kind of embarrassing now! :guh: Hey what can I say I was young and stupid!

But when I was about 13 I started to get into stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc., and I lost interest in those glam bands. Looking back on the greatness of albums like Master of Puppets, and then looking at Metallica today, well it's mind boggling really. o_O However I developed a great appreciation for Iron Maiden, and to this day they are still my favorite band.

I live in what's called the Bible Belt of the USA so back then some of the churches used to put out pamplets descibing the horrors of metal music and the damage it would inflict on all the vulnerable minds of it's followers. I actually recieved a booklet that had a master list of "satanic" bands and how they would lead kids into satanic cults. And no band escaped the wrath! Oh those were the days! At least my parents were open minded enough to not believe that shit. Iron Maiden satanic oh my gosh what will they think of next! LOL That's not even counting the PMRC's crap. Damn this shit is making me laugh just thinking about it.

Yeah the good ole days!

Reactions: Salamurhaaja
Hair metal is kind of a must for all of us, apparently. I fell in the trap too, as a preteen.. When I was even smaller (age 7 to 10) I used to listen to classic rock: Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and all the other famous bands of the epoch. Then one of my bro's mates introduced me to Iron Maiden, when I was 11 or 12. I started to buy everything that was under the "metal" section at the local record store, and most of it was really hair bands, like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Europe (oh the ridiculousness) and Skid Row - one of my favorite songs EVER is "I remember you" by Skid Row, I used to change the words to tell my silly love fantasies instead. Now I'll make those who know me laugh to death and those who don't know me squick: when I was in grade 8, I wrote an essay on nazism and read a lot on the subject; I was quite taken with Joseph Goebbels - it was my first recognizable obsession with a long dead person and I was just thrilled by the idea that someone could manipulate a population's thoughts so easily. I was helped by the fact that my documentation came from lousy history-for-the-people books, and of course those would underline the most flashy aspects of events and personalities. So I did a version of the lyrics of "I remember you" describing an imaginary relationship between a 1940's me and him - I am fully convinced that the English was awful, because I couldn't speak it really well at the time, and I don't even remember the words (alas), only that he killed himself at the end (as it were) and I didn't so I was left to sing a cover version of a bad Skid Row tune 50 years later. :Smug:

@Hyena: :D I think you're really brave when telling that on a board filled with ruthless DT fans. :D

Well, I guess the sight of a ten year old me "performing" to Imperiet's "Du ska va president" (You'll be president) in our living room would be amusing, to say the least. :D

@CoT: You know, you and me really seem to have a lot in common. I have a list of songs evoking power-related concepts that you might want to try. And no, I didn't write them, nor I changed the lyrics: they're all honest-to-bu originals :lol:

His Divine Shadow said:
When I was 11 years old those 80's hair bands were getting really popular here in the USA (not sure if they were popular everywhere else).
yep, they arrived to finland around the same time,
funny enough, I was 11 too :eek:

Don't really wanna think of those times tho, as a kid
you really didn't have too many options on the music
side, luckily I was living in a block with older metalheads
so I was listening to Metallica, Maiden, Dio, Motörhead,
Ozzy and so on. The only 2 of them I still listen are
Maiden, Motörhead and Megadeth.

When I was 9-10 years I began listening to Metallica, and I believe that was my start.

In Flames, Mithotyn, Dark Tranquillity and Naglfar was the bands that got me into this metalscene, and I still thank "Everlost" on this forum for introducing them to me, for about 2 years ago :)

I kinda started in the deep end.
When I was 8 or so, I started listening to new age kinda stuff like Enigma, Enya and Mike Oldfield, and then expanded into classical. I first started listening to metal with After Forever when I was about 15, and dived straight into the heavy atmospheric stuff without really going through the more mainstream stuff like Metallica and Megadeth.

I listened to a selected range of music when I was younger, because exposure to music wasn't that broad. I listened to 80's music like U2, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, New Order, 80's Genesis, etc back in the '80s (when I was 7-9) years old. Then I found my father's stash of Richard Clayderman tapes, so I listened to those.

i started as a little child with italian songwriters (that i still like quite much, but i hardly ever listen), then developed a huge obsession for brit pop. in fact, oasis are still one of my favourite bands and i like robbie williams. :eek:
then came the spice girls and this is the only thing about my old tastes that i regret. at 15 i got into 'rock' mainly with nirvana, queen and led zeppelin. a year later, iron maiden, metallica and, most of all, helloween, made me a, uhm, metalhead. :rolleyes:

Miolo

A surgeon said it in the news
The human race is dying
But the result is no disease
Searching for you

Metal heart--metal heart
They found it everywhere
Metal heart--metal heart
Lifeless piece of steel

@Miolo: Metal heart :eek:

@Childje: Yes :eek:
In that way, I've always been tr00 :eek:
:p

I listened to aerosmith, bon jovi, nirvana, stone temple pilots, and cafe tacuba. then lots of power metal.

I started off at around age 7 with classical music... odd as it may seem as musical entertainment for someone so young. I always liked melodies. Then friends of mine made me listen to 'dansband' as well, such as Arvingarna and Carola, when I was 8 or so. Anyone who has ever heard this type of music, will know how truly awful it is ;)
Then I went on to liking pop, interrupted by falling in love with two songs by Deep Purple and Iron Maiden at the age of 10, and then moving on to rap :eek: before discovering Metallica when I was 12...
I tried getting into other similar bands, but they didn't really appeal to me, so I ended up listening to bands as Paradise Lost, Opeth and Katatonia... I still like Metallica though, and they're brilliant live, whatever anyone might have to say about the music they play today...
Anyway. That's it.

When I was a little boy I was constantly surrounded by popular music, being around my aunts and uncles who were teenagers at the time. I never cared for music much at all, though. I was more into art and science.
One day, long, long ago, I heard Metallica and it kicked me in the ass pretty severely. I felt weird because I thought it was the heaviest thing in the world.. (I really laugh at that now, since it's soft compared to a lot of the stuff I listen to right now) Though I still like Metallica's music.
Through the years my taste has refined to appreciate higher and different forms of metal and classical music.
And now music means a lot to me. It's a significant part of my life.

\,,/