The Great Cold What?

Khayman666

Lord of the tomb
Jul 4, 2003
Northern Ireland
Visit site
So I (hesitantly) picked up the new issue of Metal Hammer yesterday. I don't really like the magazine, but it's all I can get in the town I'm in, and I usually like to see if there's any mention of any decent bands. Er, I got it home, took it out of its silly foil baggy, went straight to Subterranea and saw this:

KATATONIA
The Great Cold Divide
Opeth have a lot to answer for

It's taken 15 years for this Swedish mob to sound like they belong, but with this, their seventh album, Katatonia have found a niche. Unfortunately, it's a niche that's already occupied by Opeth.

Their brooding, melancholic goth-metal has been more promising in theory than in practice; the talent was there, but they lacked the vital ambition. 'The Great Cold Divide' still suffers from the same malaise, though at least the cloth has been cut according to the means. There are no sprawling epics here; each song is kept on a tight leash, which means they finish before chronic boredom sets in.

Opening with the moody 'Leaders', every track does follow a distinct formula, matching pumping Euro metal against more introverted plains. It's a neat balance, although once you've got the idea on 'Deliberation' and 'Soil's Song', it becomes slightly one-dimensional. However, the standard of musicianship is mostly strong enough to retain the interest, and there's three truly astounding tracks.

'Consternation' is pallid, haunting and utterly composed, as Katatonia lean heavily towards their more acoustic side. 'July' is bright yet mournful, allowing the guitars of Anders Nystrom and Fred Norrman free rein to explore more progressive territory. And 'Journey Through Pressure' closes the record with a confident, bruising beat.

If this standard could have been kept throughout, then we'd be talking here about a classic. As it is, 'The Great Cold Divide' doesn't have either the consistency or warmth of intimacy to be anything other than a close shot across the bows. Perhaps what they need is the sort of inventive injection that Opeth received, when they worked with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson on 'Blackwater Park'. [7]
MALCOLM DOME

I really can't comment on the bulk of it, as I haven't heard the album yet (I'll be waiting rather impaitiently til it arrives on my doorstep) ... but am I alone in thinking it's wrong for a reviewer to criticise (er, critique, whatever) an album and say "Well, it could be good, but they're Swedish ... and they're not Opeth!" when they can't get the name of the album right? :puke:

This review is exactly what I call bullshit. Their unprofessionalism has always been amazing, but this is really awesome. I haven't heard the full album yet as well, but Katatonia that sounds exactly like Opeth?! Uh-huh, I really doubt it. The only thing I got from this article is that Katatonia would probably be quite good if only Steve Allmighty could turn them his way:puke:

They need new reviewers...
It's okay to have your own opinion, but how can you compare two completely different sounding artists.
This guy would be best fit reviewing new metal.

i'm not one to judge his review, but seeing that he didn't even have the energy to look up the correct album title - i think that proves this review made more of a fool of himself than what his words of shallow insight on the band intended to do on us.

I wouldn't let it bother you, it's not as if Metal Hammer are worthy of anyone's attention anymore.........

Here is the Terrorizer review:

Katatonia: 'The Great Cold Distance'.
Peaceville.

"The first Katatonia rock song-orientated album was 1999's 'Tonight's Decision' (1998's 'Discouraged Ones offered a lot more melody but was still a glorious collection of majestic hypno-riffs). Katatonia have managed to steadily maintain high-quality altitude and a taste of what makes them so unique and great - their epic melancholy sound trademarked by entangling morose riff waves and Jonas Renkse's vocal range, spanning softly mournful to emotionally soaring. They've yet to release a shite album, and the evolution from 'Tonight's Decision' to 2001's 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' to 2003's Viva Emptiness' seemed like a slow but steady descent towards magnum opus.
'The Great Cold Distance' in full metal shimmering glory, with yet another shiver-inducing, advancing, elaborately ornamented riff temple. Irresistible. Yet, and this is not the first time, the album looses tension half way through, picking back up on track nine: 'July'. A retrospective inspection reveals that 'Discouraged Ones' is still the last Katatonai album to feel even and complete and to be listened to repeatedly, from start to finish, throughout the whole year of its release. Then it was down to individual songs 'Tonight's Decision's opener 'For My Demons' and 'Ghost Of The Sun' and 'Evidence' off 'Viva Emptiness'. All three immediately gripping. There's no such song on 'The Great Cold Distance', the first latter-day album not to better its predecessor.
Make no mistake - this is a great album, yet one cannot escape a sense of halting in the evolutionary process, a digging into a formula. With 1996's masterpice 'Brave Murder Day' Katatonia have created a moment of grace and singularity in metal. Their burden, then, is our egoistic hope that they will do it again. We know enough about band's dynamics to hope not for 'Brave Murder Day Pt II' but for a band making peace with it's past, picking up again an ancient, forgotten, shattered sword (band members?) and re-writing it to be used in the present. Balancing rock songs with experimental riff mantras, giving those riffcantations a contemporary production, writing more hooks, adding Middle Eastern female vocals... we can dream can't we?"
7.5/10. AVI PITCHON.

Far from objective, but I suppose most reviews are.................

metal hammer... *grrrrr* a shitty magazine that even tolerates the most cocksucking metalcore and emo-band -.- i hate such retarded reviews... i accept a lot of reviews, but not a metal hammer review! these guys are just idiots.

It supposed to be a review, but it's more an insult than an opinion. I already bought that shitty magazine, just because 2 free cds were included in, and to kill time, it doesn't really worth at all. I freaked out when I saw the g''reat cold divide'' review, If a reviewer doesn't even know the right name of the album, no wonder why he has written all theese bullshits. There are two possibilities: 1. He hasn't even listen to the album 2. He was drunk while he was hearing to it. I would sue either the magazine or the reviewer. Mudvayne sued I don't know who, for writing the song ''Fucking Determinded' ''Determined'' in Need For Speed Underground, well Katatonia worth much more than Mudvayne and their album too.

not gettin the album title right, when there's actually a voiceover repeating "yer listening to the great cold distance" (which feels like a thousand bloody annoying times) throughout the album, u think that should have kinda stukk, yeah?

and then... "Consternation is pallid, haunting and utterly composed, as Katatonia lean heavily towards their more acoustic side"
ehh right...that's totally on the acoustic side... good try, but i think someone got busted by now...

i know malcolm dome is a veteran in the metal scene, and been there from the start, but does that mean at one point u stop listening to albums and your name alone is enough for the review? we shouldn't forget people do retire for a reason...

"Katatonia have found a niche. Unfortunately, it's a niche that's already occupied by Opeth".

*farts* cheerz!!!